Anybody switch to Mobi and also use ST3 without syncing?

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Anybody switch to Mobi and also use ST3 without syncing?

Postby dobovedo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:12 pm

After a few days of wrangling with uninstalls/reinstalls of ST3 software & plugins, discovering corrupted cloudsync data from original 2017 signup, setting up a new mobi trial account, and manually fixing bad data in 100ish activities dating from 2004-2008... I've finally go all my activities migrated to a Mobi account.

Yay me. :|

I'm now thinking about how I might use both ST3 and Mobi separately to capitalize on the strengths of each. Looking for some advice from anyone who is using both.

Here's a short list of reasons why I don't want to make a complete switch to Mobi yet...
  • Moving Time is not available... this is a significant issue for mountain biking, where long breaks are part of a day out in the woods in tough areas like Pisgah National Forest. No.. I don't and won't use auto-pause or try to remember to stop/restart the device.
  • Can't crop/trim/split/combine activities.
  • Grade Zones - can't edit beyond the very limited Downhill/Level/Uphill bands(?*) - highlighting portions of the activity is OK, but I'd rather see a breakdown of smaller grade differences. +10%, 8-10%, 6-8%, etc.
*Unless I'm missing something? All other zones - HR, speed/pace, cadence, etc. appear to be editable.

For these reasons, and a few others, I want to keep using ST3. However, I want to purge old data and only keep maybe current year or two, reducing my database size and speeding up the application.

So here's my thinking...

• I (currently) record my activities with a Sunnto Ambit 3
  • I connect via cable to laptop using movescount software, not thru the phone app
  • I will import activities to ST3 manually, as I always have
  • Movescount will sync to Mobi automatically
  • I will keep CloudSync turned OFF (and the plugin disabled), so that I can delete all but the current year activities from ST3 without having them get deleted in Mobi
  • I gotta make damned sure I never connect the two... I assume this will wipe out my Mobi history
  • When (not if) I need to crop, split or join activities, I can do that in ST3, then manually export/import to Mobi, removing the original activity from Mobi first
  • At the start of the new year I make sure both systems are in sync, then purge the previous year (or 2 years back) from ST3
Anybody see any flaws in this plan? Doing something similarly? Differently? Better?
dobovedo
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Anybody switch to Mobi and also use ST3 without syncing?

Postby Mads_o » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:11 am

Late reply but...

I experienced heavy data corruption too, when I synced to .mobi - luckily I had made a backup.

I get around it by not syncing my Garmin with .mobi, but I do sync mobi and SP#. I import to SP3 and sync with .mobi from there. It does the trick.
“It’s Not the Will to Win, But the Will to Prepare to Win That Makes the Difference”
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Mads_o

Postby runs4cache » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:41 am

I use both and have since .mobi was introduced. I beta tested the sync from Garmin to .mobi and pointed out the data loss issues (Garmin filters down the gps points) and since they can't be changed by the developers I immediately stopped that sync. I'll let Gamin sync to Strava but that isn't my real data anyhow. I sync from ST 3 up to .mobi. One other way I use .mobi is to enter my weight, it's just handy to do that through the phone when I weight myself and then it sync back to ST 3 upon the next sync. ST 3 doesn't have a goals dashboard so that is another area I use the .mobi.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby dobovedo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:53 am

Thanks for the replies. Still wondering if anyone else is using both, but not synced?

I split my 14 year ST3 file and have only the most recent three years to keep the data size reasonable. (I'm also working from a 6 year old laptop, so processing power is a concern). So I have to leave Mobi disconnected, otherwise the sync will delete the older records out of Mobi.

That said, Mobi took a HUGE step forward with the ability to crop and split activities. It's a bit clunky to not be able to pick the points off the map or elevation profile, but that feature alone made it worth purchasing a license.

Still, I won't switch over completely and stop using ST3 unless/until a LOT more features become available.

A few off the top of my head are:
1- calculating Moving Time (vs Total Time)... I simply can't fathom why this isn't standard.
2- customizeable % grade zones (3: uphill, flat, downhill... really?!)
3 - improved searching/reporting
4 - overlays of multiple activities on a single map (combined with #3)
dobovedo
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:23 pm

dobovedo wrote:Thanks for the replies. Still wondering if anyone else is using both, but not synced?

In theory, yes! You can use the SportTracks and ST3 software independently if you choose. The ST3 CloudSync feature is completely optional. There is nothing requiring to connect your ST3 logbook to an online SportTracks account. You're welcome to manage all the data import, export, backup and other such tasks manually on your own, just like you would with using ST3 with a vendor based website. The key to be mindful of is that the ST3 CloudSync feature is designed to be a multi-directional all or nothing sync. Simply disable it to manage data manually.

In practice this isn't a terribly popular option at all. You might find a small handful doing it, but the vast majority of SportTracks users that are still using the ST3 Windows PC app have connected to their online account. It's easier, convenient, less error prone, quicker and less fiddling with manual PC tasks.

dobovedo wrote:Still, I won't switch over completely and stop using ST3 unless/until a LOT more features become available.

You can propose features to our customer idea tracker here:

https://sporttracks.uservoice.com

Our roadmap is driven almost entirely by customer feedback and feature popularity. If you're finding critical features are missing and not popular with other customers it could be that what you're looking to accomplish can be done with other features already in the app in different ways! Support can assist you in problem solving scenarios and how to best use the software.

runs4cache wrote:I beta tested the sync from Garmin to .mobi and pointed out the data loss issues (Garmin filters down the gps points) ...

Uhhh.... This is just factually incorrect. The data that is sent to SportTracks via the auto-sync feature comes directly from the watch recording. It is literally the FIT file from the watch memory. The Garmin Connect online software platform is not involved at all other than to pipe the watch memory file to connected partner apps.

TBH I'm not sure what this "garmin filters down the gps points" nonsense is - perhaps this was the case ages ago, but it doesn't work that way with the data access API we've used since four years... :?:
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dobovedo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:32 pm

admin wrote:
dobovedo wrote:Thanks for the replies. Still wondering if anyone else is using both, but not synced?

In practice this isn't a terribly popular option at all. You might find a small handful doing it, but the vast majority of SportTracks users that are still using the ST3 Windows PC app have connected to their online account. It's easier, convenient, less error prone, quicker and less fiddling with manual PC tasks.

I find that to be quite surprising. One of the frequent complaints about ST3 has been the inability to store many years worth of data due to file size, processing time, and errors that result. Many users have stated that they have split their files in order to reduce the file size and improve performance.

In response, Admin has commented on multiple occasions that the database issues with ST3 have been a result of building on a platform that was built with less knowledge of databases, and that the success of Mobi has been (among other things) the result of much learning about databases since then.

So... that lead me to believe that there must be other users with the same dilemma I have: how can I auto sync my current ST3 data file, which has only three years of data, without risking the loss my full 15 year history that I am maintaining in Mobi? :?:
dobovedo
Donated!
Donated!

Postby runs4cache » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:59 pm

I have about 13 years in my ST3 logbook and not having issues yet except in like all day activities so not motivated to try unsync'd yet; just the notes section is slow so I write in notepad and copy/paste into the field, or write it on mobi and let it sync back.

Looking through your comment about being afraid that mobi would sync to ST3 and delete activities, when Admin says it's bidirectional that means what would happen is that 10+ years of data would be loaded into your ST3, _not_ delete 10 years worth of activities on mobi.

Admin -I looked back at our discussion at the time the Garmin sync was in beta test, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16310; maybe there are some posts in there that have disappeared because I found my test summary of the time but it refers to some posts that I couldn't find. Some of the email links from the exchange don't go anywhere and some go directly to posts, so maybe those go to the lost ones. But I do remember several posts saying the data from Garmin was filtered down. I'll give it another whirl this weekend to see how I like it. It wouldn't be the first time that my old timer status had bit me - I just found the post about updating the fitness/fatigue settings and indeed I had the original settings, makes more sense now.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby dobovedo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:52 am

runs4cache wrote:
Looking through your comment about being afraid that mobi would sync to ST3 and delete activities, when Admin says it's bidirectional that means what would happen is that 10+ years of data would be loaded into your ST3, _not_ delete 10 years worth of activities on mobi.

Well, yeah, that actually makes more sense! I knew for sure it was an issue with not wanting the same set of data in both environments. When I archived off 2004-2015 from my file, the performance went up significantly.

I don't mind maintaining both separately for the time being, as Mobi matures.
dobovedo
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:20 am

It is my understanding the if you delete a workout in ST3, on synch Mobi will then delete the activity from the online database.
Hence if you split an ST3 logbook, Mobi will "split" the online data, sending half to oblivion on the next Mobi synch.

I will note that my logbook had to be split before Mobi was out of beta testing. While I was an early beta user of Mobi, I never did a synch between my logbook and Mobi. All my beta testing with Mobi used activity file uploads to Mobi. I am not a Mobi user and the synch plugin is disabled for me.

If you split a logbook then you must be scrupulous in maintaining synch discipline. The last thing you want is to loose Mobi data or to have Mobi try to shove those "10 years of data" into your ST3 logbook.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Questions