Catagories in MOBI?

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Catagories in MOBI?

Postby thosj » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 am

Is there the MOBI equivalent of Categories in desktop?

What I do in Desktop:

Category for each bike (7!)
Equipment attached to categories.
Simply add category to activity, all equipment comes in.

In MOBI, adding equipment, I have 153, is impossible, can't find all the correct ones very easily so I just do it in Desktop.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm paying $35/yr and really not using MOBI because of the equipment thing. I track chains, tires, BB maintenance, other things and can't live without that. If MOBI can't do that as simply as Desktop does it I fear I may be out:(

Eight days to renewal time!!

Thanks

Tom
thosj
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Catagories in MOBI?

Postby admin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:38 am

I'm not sure what you mean categories or adding gear - you should only add your gear once when you buy a new piece of kit.

For tagging gear on workouts you have a lot of options to streamline - using the parts feature for bikes might be useful so it auto-tags the sub-parts with one click, or you can use auto-tag on import to tag an item when you finish a certain sport or import from a particular device. I have most of my gear set up to auto-tag, and I only have to edit it on the workout detail if something is different.

What feature are you missing specifically from your workflow?
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thosj » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 am

Like I said in my post above, I use categories in Desktop ST. I have a category for each bike. In Select View/Daily Activity, Categories field, I drop down and under Cycling are all my Categories, named just like my bikes. Under each bike I have all the equipment for that bike, tires, chains, etc. Add the Category, get all the equipment.

I've admittedly been using ST Desktop for like 11 years so I might be doing it "wrong" there. I'm looking for a way to add a bike to a ride (workout) and have all it's equipment come in with it. That equipment changes, wear out a tire, replace it, etc.

I have to figure out the "parts feature for bikes", that sounds like what I want. I couldn't find it "intuitively" be clicking around in MOBI, and one of my biggest fears is screwing up all my stuff in Desktop by messing with it in MOBI. Everything that's in MOBI came from Desktop, I've NEVER added ANYTHING in MOBI. I'd like to just use MOBI so I can forget about computers and getting new ones and backing up, and all that!!!

Where's the best place to read how to do this?

Thanks for your patience, I've been using desktop ST for SO long I've not actually studied anything for years. Time to do so, I guess.
thosj
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:34 pm

your workout categories are gear? yeah.. that's really unusual approach lol

you can find the "part of" option under the gear "type" in ST3, it's probably better idea. one click will tag all the parts of a particular piece of gear.

just add a gear for your bike - then go to each component and select "Type > Part of..."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thosj » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 am

admin wrote:your workout categories are gear? yeah.. that's really unusual approach lol

you can find the "part of" option under the gear "type" in ST3, it's probably better idea. one click will tag all the parts of a particular piece of gear.

just add a gear for your bike - then go to each component and select "Type > Part of..."

My workout categories aren't equipment. Under the category Cycling I have subcategories for each bike. The equipment is setup "normal", it has Type>Part of... selected making it part of the bike. What I do is in Equipment, under Import Settings, I select the sub category, Cycling>Waterford, for example. I check Import Settings>Subcategory for each individual equipment item I want to come in. I have, for example, 5 or 6 chains under each bike, rotating every 1100 miles, so I only want one chain to come in to the activity. Import Settings lets me do it that way, the other 4 or 5 chains are still under said bike, but Import Settings is NOT checked for those, so they don't come in. When I rotate chains, I simply uncheck one, check another in Import Settings, now that one starts importing.

This is likely "wrong" and this will not be doable in MOBI, so I'll never be able to get equipment to come in my (wrong) way in MOBI. I reckon I don't want to mess up 11 years of stuff by trying to get it working in MOBI.

My problem, not yours. Just asking in case I'm missing something:)

Tom
thosj
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Cool... Yep, you can get that same optimized "one click" kind of tagging workflow using the gear parts feature - in either the ST3 desktop app or the SportTracks online app.. but it would definitely require changing how you've organized your gear data.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions