Incomplete activity import

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Incomplete activity import

Postby gkerr » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:17 am

Occasionally, and more particularly on long runs, SportTracks doesn't import the full activity. The full activity is available on my Garmin Forerunner 310, but is not imported into SportTracks. It doesn't stop short at a special point (like a lap, pause point, etc) but at some arbitrary point about 1-2km from the end of the run. The activity data is fully downloaded from the Garmin to my computer using Garmin ANT Agent. And the full activity is also imported and visible in Garmin Training Centre.

This is frustrating. Please help.
Happy running!
Grant
gkerr

Re: Incomplete activity import

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:00 am

Are you using file import? If not then give that a try.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gkerr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 pm

I was using the import by device option. I've tried importing by file and the problems goes away. Thanks. It is also quicker import activities by file than device :)

I would still like know why some of the activity is chopped off when importing by device.
Happy running!
Grant
gkerr

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 pm

It's ben a long-standing recommendation that activities are imported fro the files going back many years. There were a number of issues that came up as a result of device import that disappeared when importing the file directly.

I would not hold my breath waiting for a solution to the device import problem you've experienced.
Last edited by philipshambrook on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am

gkerr wrote:I was using the import by device option. I've tried importing by file and the problems goes away. Thanks. It is also quicker import activities by file than device :)

I would still like know why some of the activity is chopped off when importing by device.

Device import is not supported.

Garmin stopped supporting the direct device upload using the Garmin Communicator API browser plugin half a decade ago. The code remained in ST3 for legacy users but has limited use since Garmin doesn't support the data transfer and it is depended on older unsupported browsers & Windows OS that have security/hacking issues. It also lacks all the new features such as swim info, heart rate, running dynamics, CIQ fields, etc. As time goes on, these problems become worse (because it is unsupported). Similarly Garmin Training Centre was discontinued in 2012 around this time as Garmin updated it's software platform.

We've recommended to upgrade to Garmin Express and use the file transfer for some time. See the FAQ here:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=17591

Our online SportTracks platform integrates with Garmin to auto-sync your data without any manual steps - no need to import or export, yadda, yadda. Simply enable the Garmin sync and enable CloudSync to your ST3 logbook. If you're tired fiddling with these things you may consider an upgrade. You can learn more about the product here:

https://sporttracks.mobi/features
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions