[FIXED] [ST3] Google maps error

On the rare occasion you might find a bug...

[FIXED] [ST3] Google maps error

Postby IAmFedUpWithThis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 am

As of today (and with the latest version of ST3), I get the error message "You are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API. Consider changing your browser." The "learn more" link is of no use in explaining the error as it just opens Internet Explorer (rather than the built-in browser in SportTracks), and everything still seems to work OK. Does anyone know what's changed and have a fix for this annoying issue, please?
IAmFedUpWithThis

Re: Google maps error

Postby abc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am

Same here...found with googling a workaround, editting the register. but no luck..
abc

Postby texmurphy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm

On my system, Win 7/PRO/64, IE 11, I am now getting the following message on first use of google maps.
googlemaperr.jpg
googlemaperr.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 2339 times

Click "Learn more" and you are told to use Chrome (by google - hah!). Click "Dismiss" and the maps seem to work normally.

BTW: Strava does not seem able to display google maps today if you are not using Chrome - might be related.

It would be nice to have a maintenance release for ST3 which had all the mapping API's up to date. For example OpenStreetMap has an out of date API key. See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17802
And while we are wishing, a .fit importer which does not fail on the latest .fit specifications (even if it does not grab all the fields).
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby IAmFedUpWithThis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 pm

My system is the same as texmurphy's.

I did a little digging with Wireshark to see what browser SportTracks was claiming to use, and the results (if I understood them correctly) are rather strange:

The first files loaded are the cursor files (e.g. http://maps.google.com/intl/en_us/mapfiles/openhand.cur) and for these, the user agent string is "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)" which (according to Microsoft) means Internet Explorer 6 running on Windows XP with enhanced security features - and that is not supported for Google maps+. However, these same files are loaded when using OpenStreetMap (which doesn't display the error), so it seems unlikely that they are involved.

Later files (presumably the satellite images and javascript files) from hosts such as csi.gstatic.com, maps.googleapis.com, khm0.googleapis.com etc. all use "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0)" which (again according to Microsoft) is a bit of a mess: some of it implies IE 10 and some IE 11*. However, playing with the emulation features of IE 11 on Google maps gives no problem with this user agent string, and Google maps claims to support both IE 10 and IE 11 in any case.

The fact that the user agent string changes for some Google maps files suggests that a change was made at some point to the browser emulation, and indeed this appears to have worked until recently, but I guess that Google have recently made a change that has broken it. Hopefully one of the developers will read this and offer an explanation or (better) a fix.

* - See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537503(v=vs.85).aspx
+ - See https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... sersupport
Last edited by IAmFedUpWithThis on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAmFedUpWithThis

Postby whiskywheels » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 am

Yeh, me too getting this as from today. I know it's no great hardship to click 'dismiss' on the pop up, but this sort of thing I find ridiculously irritating, on a par with a complete stranger bursting into my bedroom in the middle of the night and asking me if I want to buy a new duvet. It's all the more irritating because clicking on 'learn more' leads to nonsense, and 'dismiss' allows you to continue seeing the maps, contrary to the stupid message.
ST3 mobi works fine, using my default browser Chrome, and it seems from previous posts that it doesn't matter what browser you're using, you'll still get the pop up.
Looking forward to hearing what the solution is. :lol:
whiskywheels

Re: [FIXED] [ST3] Google maps error

Postby admin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Fixed in 3.1.6625
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whiskywheels » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Great stuff, thanks very much!

Comments about ST3 being dead are clearly, in the words of Mark Twain, "greatly exagerrated". :roll:
whiskywheels

Postby FredericB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Hmmm... weird, I thought I had replied here yesterday. Was my message moved ? :?:
Anyway. No, ST is not completely dead (it's dying, it's different). Obviously, the ST devs (we assume there are several) still fix issues here and there and it is appreciated but what we're seeing here are minor minor issues.
Can we get the logbook memory issue fixed then ? That's a different story
www.FreeMovin.com
FredericB

Postby nilobado » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 am

Thank you very much! :)
nilobado
Donated!
Donated!

Postby IAmFedUpWithThis » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:39 pm

That's great, working fine now. Thanks.
IAmFedUpWithThis

Postby Tom63 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:14 am

I updated to the new Version 3.1.6625 but the Infobox concerning the wrong browser is still existing. Any other tipps for me?

Greetings Thomas
Tom63

Postby jüre » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:22 am

Was with me too after Update to V3.1.6625.21849.
Since I have in the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zone Five Software\SportTracks 3\InstallPlugins\" the file "google-map-server-plugin.st3plugin" double clicked.
After restarting SportTracks came the hint and everything works as it used to.

War bei mir auch so nach Update auf V3.1.6625.21849.
Da habe ich im Verzeichniss "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zone Five Software\SportTracks 3\InstallPlugins\" die Datei "google-map-server-plugin.st3plugin" doppel geklickt.
Nach Neustart von SportTracks kam der Hinweis nicht mehr und alles funktioniert wie früher.

Jüre
jüre
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tom63 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks very much! Now everything runs fine;=)

Thomas
Tom63

Postby Dyno » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 am

How do I get google maps to even show? That hasn't worked for years now.

If you don't buy and use "mobi" seems you don't exist.
Dyno

Return to Bugs