ST3

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Re: ST3

Postby ACree » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:40 pm

admin wrote:
pucko wrote:It is not close to the ST3 with all the available plugins.

I wonder what you miss, since the online SportTracks plaform has far exceeded most of the features in ST3 for years, including the most popular plugins integrated into the system, and many things never possible in ST3.

How about filtering activities by location, or by equipment used. Both things I do, both easy in ST3, and not possible in .mobi. For that matter, even basic things, like keeping column headers at the top of the page when scrolling, are lacking in .mobi.
ACree
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ksherman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:32 pm

admin wrote:SportTracks has had training load modeling for four years I believe - it was definitely one of the early features. I'm really surprised Strava doesn't offer training load? Seems like such a basic feature in 2018. It further shows how their focus is really on the social/competitive segment aspect, rather than performance metrics.

Of course we offer training load integrated into your planning calendar, estimation for planned workouts, you can even set effort goals and track to completion with email updates, see your training load next to your workout volume load or health metrics in the same view, estimate future training load coming up to a race, show historical race prep training load, to name a few things off the top of my head.

Why have a suffer score if you're not going to offer a training load model? :oops:

Yes, there is training load in mobi. But if the differentiation for mobi is meant to be data/detail then why can we not have better views over that data. The detail in Mechgt's ST plugin is perfect for analytical junkies, a very clear view of effort, fitness & fatigue with supporting data below. The mobi view is sort of interesting, but it's just a "picture". I feel I understand the ST version very well, I can assess it easily, and I can explain it to others. It makes sense. I cannot do that with the mobi data. Certainly the near mirroring of fitness and fatigue seems completely counter to the model of fatigue being near term and fitness being longer term.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 am

ACree wrote:How about filtering activities by location, or by equipment used. Both things I do, both easy in ST3, and not possible in .mobi. For that matter, even basic things, like keeping column headers at the top of the page when scrolling, are lacking in .mobi.

Yeah, those filtering features have been available for years actually. You can use the workout page to filter by location (text search) or gear and show a list of those workouts. You can sort by any column to further refine the results, or add more filters based on sport / distance / time / speed. You can do bulk updates and add/replace/remove gear right there in the workouts page with a few clicks.

A second option is to just go to the gear detail page where you can see the chart showing usage as well as a full list of all the workouts the item is tagged on in a sortable table. Easy peasy.

In terms of a spreadsheet type view of your workouts, it's not really our strength, but honestly we are years ahead of the major alternatives with filtering and column customization (check out the pathetic options on Strava or Garmin Connect).

With respect to sticky column headers. There is a long list of user experience improvements we constantly chip away at with every month and it's good to hear feedback. I'll make sure that gets on our list.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am

ksherman wrote:But if the differentiation for mobi is meant to be data/detail then why can we not have better views over that data. The detail in Mechgt's ST plugin is perfect for analytical junkies, a very clear view of effort, fitness & fatigue with supporting data below. The mobi view is sort of interesting, but it's just a "picture". I feel I understand the ST version very well, I can assess it easily, and I can explain it to others. It makes sense. I cannot do that with the mobi data. Certainly the near mirroring of fitness and fatigue seems completely counter to the model of fatigue being near term and fitness being longer term.

You can see your effort scores in the workouts table (if you prefer a tabular layout). You can also select a date range in any performance chart to see the daily workout details. You can also add the performance metrics to your calendar to see yearly, monthly or weekly details, right along-side your training calendar, with other volume metrics, along with the per month/week scores for all these metrics. You can use your effort scores to plan future workouts, and show the effect on training load models. We've got new visualizations planned on our roadmap to show how your training load run-up to race events may have effected your performance. Most of this isn't possible in ST3...

Are there user experience improvements we can make? Always.

I appreciate for athletes who are familiar with the existing TSB model, with the current tools, it can be a challenge to incorporate a new and different performance model into your training, and the old tools may be "good enough". :)

Our support staff can help with the transition for athletes who are interested. Shoot them an email - they are there to help!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ACree » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am

admin wrote:
ACree wrote:How about filtering activities by location, or by equipment used. Both things I do, both easy in ST3, and not possible in .mobi. For that matter, even basic things, like keeping column headers at the top of the page when scrolling, are lacking in .mobi.

Yeah, those filtering features have been available for years actually. You can use the workout page to filter by location (text search) or gear and show a list of those workouts. You can sort by any column to further refine the results, or add more filters based on sport / distance / time / speed. You can do bulk updates and add/replace/remove gear right there in the workouts page with a few clicks.

A second option is to just go to the gear detail page where you can see the chart showing usage as well as a full list of all the workouts the item is tagged on in a sortable table. Easy peasy.

In terms of a spreadsheet type view of your workouts, it's not really our strength, but honestly we are years ahead of the major alternatives with filtering and column customization (check out the pathetic options on Strava or Garmin Connect).

With respect to sticky column headers. There is a long list of user experience improvements we constantly chip away at with every month and it's good to hear feedback. I'll make sure that gets on our list.

That is great that this functionality is actually there. But what is the logic behind NOT having this be part of the filters available on the workout tab? A user wanting to see activities by location is supposed to realize 'oh, I can go do that search elsewhere on the site?'

This is the kind of thing that causes us to say that .mobi is not the equal of ST3. Go through ST3 feature by feature, put them in the same logical places in .mobi and when that is complete, maybe .mobi will be ready for prime time. In the mean time, the reason people keep asking about ST3 updates or ST4 is that .mobi is not an adequate replacement.
Attachments
ST activity filter.JPG
ST activity filter.JPG (23.97 KiB) Viewed 222 times
ACree
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:08 pm

ACree wrote:That is great that this functionality is actually there. But what is the logic behind NOT having this be part of the filters available on the workout tab? A user wanting to see activities by location is supposed to realize 'oh, I can go do that search elsewhere on the site?'

This is the kind of thing that causes us to say that .mobi is not the equal of ST3. Go through ST3 feature by feature, put them in the same logical places in .mobi and when that is complete, maybe .mobi will be ready for prime time. In the mean time, the reason people keep asking about ST3 updates or ST4 is that .mobi is not an adequate replacement.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The search by "Text" option in the screenshot includes location, and any other text fields. This was documented with the feature release four years ago. In this case, it works just like ST3 where you can free-search by text that includes location. So it turns out that's pretty easy for most customers to figure out.

As I said above, support is ready and waiting via email if you have other challenges in transitioning from ST3 to the new online SportTracks platform. We found the vast majority of ST3 users upgraded years ago without any problems and are happy with the new enhanced features, the improved user experience, access from anywhere, and the excellent support they've always enjoyed.

Well, if it's not your thing, that's cool too, and you can continue to use ST3 that is familiar. :)

Cheers!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 pm

@Admin - How much work would it be to upgrade ST3 so it does not fail on modern .fit import?
(The all the extra fields need not be populated, just the import should not fail.)

One option is a paid for Plugin, now that omb has closed his store you would not be competing.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:23 am

The FIT import is over 10 years old I believe we looked into it and was significant complete rewrite and regression test which we no longer have in place in high risk code which also we don't develop in the language since a long time (all the new platform is different technology).
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Questions