ST3 Effectively dead

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Death by a thousand cuts

Postby philipshambrook » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:38 am

So today ST3 wouldn't start due to some issues with the Pool Swimming Plugin. I've had to de-activate that. Issues with the Apply Routes Plugin mean that I can no longer use that for maps.

It really is getting to the stage where I will pull the plug on ST3. Probably no bad thing as it is the only reason I have Parallels running on my Mac anyway. When I do pull ST3, I will also drop .mobi for both my wife and I.

Pity as it's been a long and useful relationship. I accept there are things that .mobi do better than Garmin Connect and Strava, but not enough to warrant me paying a subscription.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Re: ST3 Effectively dead

Postby admin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 am

Glad we could be part of your training story for so long. :D

If you're unsatisfied with your options or your needs change I hope you'll check us out again. We will be here!
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ACree » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Another user here that vastly prefers the desktop version. Sadly, like others, the emphasis on .mobi, and the sync errors (date issues with zwift files...due to the inability of ST to interface with zwift, and a comedy of errors with finesssyncer.com re activity dates) that have occurred have caused me to use both of them far less. .mobi has potential to be a desktop replacement, but simply doesn't have an equal feature set in my opinion.

What other services are people migrating to?
ACree
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:17 am

Now I've lost the Weather Plugin. Anyone else lost OMB plugins in recent days?
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Yannos » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:31 am

No plugin lost with me
Yannos
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:51 am

philipshambrook wrote:Now I've lost the Weather Plugin. Anyone else lost OMB plugins in recent days?

ST's plugin installer had - and I guess still has - a problem of losing plugins, if I remember right mostly when updating multiple plugins.
Reinstalling the "lost" plugin should do the job.
There's another potential source of trouble: if your ST license "gets lost", ST will not load/activate more than 2 plugins, due to a restriction for the free/unpaid install.
No plugin developer, not even me, has found a way to write plugins that automatically get lost 8)

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:27 am

I guess I should have put 'lost' in inverted commas. Lost in terms of on separate occasions I've had error messages that have come up for the Pool Swimming Plugin and the Weather Plugin, causing ST3 to crash. The only way to get ST running was to deselect the plugins. First the Swimming Plugin last week. Today the Weather Plugin.

So, when I say 'lost' I mean that I've lost the ability to use them.
Last edited by philipshambrook on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:02 am

philipshambrook wrote:I guess I should have put 'lost' in inverted commas. Lost in terms of on separate occasions I've had error message that have come up for the Pool Swimming Plugin and the Weather Plugin, causing ST3 to crash. The only way to get ST running was to deselect the plugins. First the Swimming Plugin last week. Today the Weather Plugin.

So, when I say 'lost' I mean that I've lost the ability to use them.

Can you post the error messages?
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:02 pm

My bad for not doing so at the time. But to be honest I'm getting a little tired of the gradual decay in the program. I'll reactivate them and see if the problem comes back.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:30 pm

There's dedicated forums for each of the plugins that you might want to use to search for solutions or to resolve plugin crashes.

ST3 Plugin Forums

It's sort of an unfortunate byproduct of an app that allowed deeply embedded 3rd party extensions to the code that aren't fully sandboxed - a plugin crash in some cases can take down the app. There's a lot of protections in place, but not everywhere, and some are deliberate to prevent data corruption.

I feel like I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but these kinds of fiddly computer maintenance and upkeep issues are one benefit of software as a service such as the SportTracks online app. All that effort is offloaded to our support & tech staff. Moreover, we have integrated pool swim analysis and automated download of weather data for all your workouts. Open a browser. Go to the website. It Just Works.
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ACree » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 pm

admin, if it worked as well as the desktop version, these discussions wouldn't still be taking place.
ACree
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:31 pm

I agree with you Admin. But I also prefer books over iBooks.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ViDi0T » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:55 pm

+1, plus Mobi still lacks so much functionality that is in ST3

ACree wrote:admin, if it worked as well as the desktop version, these discussions wouldn't still be taking place.
ViDi0T
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 pm

And so the journey ends. My .mobi subscription expires in 7 days and with it my journey with SportTracks. The gradual decay in ST3 has taken with it my enthusiasm for .mobi and any desire to keep ST3 alive. Sad. Goodbye.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby staffann » Thu May 10, 2018 2:30 am

Goodbye! Seems this is the way we will all go.
The way that all questions related to ST3 in the last few years has been answered by admin with a reference to mobi is a bit annoying I must say. I have a mobi subscription, but the lack of support for lots of information from my Garmin makes it of less value. Mobi was a big investment, one that killed off ST3, but the development leveled out before it came to the levels of ST3 + the most common plugins. It is ok, but coming from ST3 that is not good enough.
My OMB plugins for ST3 are still working so I will continue to use ST3 for a while more. What worries me is that I do not see a good alternative to migrate to.
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby FredericB » Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 am

staffann wrote:Goodbye! Seems this is the way we will all go.
The way that all questions related to ST3 in the last few years has been answered by admin with a reference to mobi is a bit annoying I must say. I have a mobi subscription, but the lack of support for lots of information from my Garmin makes it of less value. Mobi was a big investment, one that killed off ST3, but the development leveled out before it came to the levels of ST3 + the most common plugins. It is ok, but coming from ST3 that is not good enough.
My OMB plugins for ST3 are still working so I will continue to use ST3 for a while more. What worries me is that I do not see a good alternative to migrate to.

Please let us know where you are going. See the thread here
FredericB

Previous

Return to Questions