Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

ST3 draws a straight line on joined tracks

ST3 draws a straight line on joined tracks

Postby Marcos Saad » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi,

I use to edit tracks on Garmin Basecamp and some times i get two or tree of them merged into one.
What happens is that ST3 draws a straight line right in the joining points.
But if I upload the same track to Gpsies, RideWithGPS, etc, this doesn't happen. Not only that, by saving this same track and than importing to ST3 the track gets correct.
It appears that gpsies and others are capable to fix the track but I´m not totally convinced of that because even the straight lines no longer show at ST3 the device can not calculate the route on the device.
Track that were not joined does not present such behavior.
course2.jpg
course2.jpg (244.34 KiB) Viewed 3307 times

Course3.jpg
Course3.jpg (41.78 KiB) Viewed 3307 times

course4.jpg
course4.jpg (43.73 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
Marcos Saad

Re: ST3 draws a straight line on joined tracks

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:13 am

Just to make sure that I understand correct: you want to JOIN two courses (of W&C plugin) and don't want to have a straight line between end point of course 1 and start point of course 2?
But you want a connection, which follows roads, not the perfect straight line?

If yes, the plugin has an autoroute feature for this. Select 2 course points of the course (i.e. you'll have to set one at the end of course 1 and one at the start of course 2) and select "Autoroute from ... to ..." from the course point context menu. Voila.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Marcos Saad » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:55 am

Hi,

First of all thank you for the prompt response.
It´s not that.
The GPX file that I've imported had one single track. This track was composed on Garmin Basecamp by the joining 2 or 3 others.
Uploading this file to Gpsies, Ridewithgps, etc, results in one track, as should be.
ST3 shows only one course in the course list but if you look at MAP you can even see that directions are opposite to each other where the straight lines get together.
It appears that ST3 are not capable to understand the track as one but keeps the original information of each segment i.g direction...
Those track are off road track (Mountain Biking) with no road to follow.
I´m attaching the file so you can upload it to Gpsies and/or ST3 for testing.

Thank you,
Attachments
Mogi Espelho Urubu Aranha Beija Flor Lambari ST3 test.gpx
(43.04 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Marcos Saad

Postby tndmbkr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:15 am

When I open your GPXfile in Mapsource I can see that the order of the indexnumbers are sometimes opposite to the order of the timestamp of the indexnumber.
Which makes me wonder what is the right direction of your track?

For an example:
tndmbkr

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 am

Marcos Saad wrote:Hi,

First of all thank you for the prompt response.
It´s not that.
The GPX file that I've imported had one single track. This track was composed on Garmin Basecamp by the joining 2 or 3 others.
Uploading this file to Gpsies, Ridewithgps, etc, results in one track, as should be.
ST3 shows only one course in the course list but if you look at MAP you can even see that directions are opposite to each other where the straight lines get together.
It appears that ST3 are not capable to understand the track as one but keeps the original information of each segment i.g direction...
Those track are off road track (Mountain Biking) with no road to follow.
I´m attaching the file so you can upload it to Gpsies and/or ST3 for testing.

Thank you,

tndmbkr has pointed you to the issue with your file: it's not clean regarding time stamps. It consists of several parts with vastly different time stamps and you have some "break points", where following track points have EARLIER times.
Gpsies, Ridewithgps, ... don't mind. Why? They simply ignore time.
SportTracks does not and cannot, because it is aware of speed, i.e. must consider time.
So activity import AND course import in ST both import the file in an identical way, i.e. correct regarding time stamps.

Please Address the developers of the tool, which has knocked together this GPX file. They should fix their tool, so that it creates GPX files with correct time stamps.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Marcos Saad » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Guys,

Good luck for us because the tool developer is Garmin ... the tool I use to join tracks is the BaseCamp software.
Is there any way I can edit it with ST3?

Thank you,
Marcos Saad

Return to Waypoint and Courses