[ST3] [FIXED] ST3 OutOfMemory exception when saving logbook

On the rare occasion you might find a bug...

Re: just got this error-any ideas

Postby texmurphy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:47 pm

The fault was triggered by an Out of Memory exception. OMB's plugins will catch a variety of errors which are often not related to the omb plugins.
In this case I think you may have a large logbook. Check this by going to Logbook->Properties and then compare to posted Forum comments elsewhere such as in this thread: OutOfMemory exception when saving logbook.
You can often reduce your memory data footprint by 30% using the Data Compression Plugin.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Re: OutOfMemory exception when saving logbook

Postby spoonerweb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:24 pm

I have also been getting OutOfMemory exceptions for at least a year now. My solution has been to terminate the program and then relaunch the program and re-import that days data. This usually allows the program to work for about a week. As for moving to the mobi format, I like to keep my data locally. I don't mind having it out on the Internet (I use Garmin Connect), but I must have a local copy. I have been hoping that each upgrade would actually fix the problem, but a week after each upgrade shows me it hasn't been fixed yet. This is going to start happening to more and more people, so I hope ST4 (if that is the only way to fix it) will be out sometime this year but should be out before 2016 (built for Windows 9) or else a lot of people are going to really upset to lose or not have access to so much of their own data.
spoonerweb

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:27 am

My strategy is that I have been thinking of giving up sports. I am getting older and older and become tired earlier and earlier. :-)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby the5krunner » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:12 am

I get this EVERY time.

Mine is related to .net apparently

If I turn of garmin ant agent it seems to free up enough memory to enable sporttracks not to crash. something to do with memory handles that I don't understand

apparently. anyway that's my workaround that ALWAYS works for me.
the5krunner

keep getting this error

Postby paul.d » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:25 am

see attachment
STerrors.png
STerrors.png (28.03 KiB) Viewed 17071 times

and this detail
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: sporttracks.exe
Problem Signature 02: 3.1.5169.18537
Problem Signature 03: 530cb423
Problem Signature 04: Common.Data
Problem Signature 05: 3.1.5169.18458
Problem Signature 06: 530cb384
Problem Signature 07: 4d
Problem Signature 08: 10
Problem Signature 09: System.OutOfMemoryException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

any ideas please-it worked on Monday !!
paul.d

Re: keep getting this error

Postby paul.d » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:33 am

tried again and a slightly different error message

sterrors2.png
sterrors2.png (31.52 KiB) Viewed 17067 times
paul.d

Re: keep getting this error

Postby texmurphy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 am

paul.d wrote:tried again and a slightly different error message

omb will trap many errors with his plugins which are not caused by those plugins. He has a very complete error listening system.

Try my suggestion earlier in this thread about Data Compression Plugin.
You will likely have to eventually split you logbook as you keep adding data (unless you are a mobi user - then you will need Support's help!).
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby markdjohn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 am

For the record, I too get the OutOfMemory exception quite often. Also, ST3 crashes a lot on me even when I am not uploading any data. Sometimes it will crash immediately after starting it. I can be sitting there analysing previous data and ST3 will crash. I do use mobi, but I want a local accessible copy of my data. I prefer the look and feel of ST3 over mobi.
markdjohn

Postby Tim Rowe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 am

I'm getting this a lot recently too - certainly in more recent versions. After just loading SportTracks with my logbook file usage hovers around 1.4GB... before eventually crashing. I'm having a LOT of troubles with files getting corrupted due to ST crashing while trying to write the 139MB data file. It's not the usual exceptions anymore all the time either, it's a Windows 'Stopped responding' error.
Tim Rowe

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 am

The SportTracks map provider for Google maps once had a glitch: it accumulated memory objects (maybe due to a caching strategy, maybe a plain memory leak) that were only released when you changed map type (e.g. Street -> Satellite).
If I remember right, this issue was once fixed, but it might have reappeared.
Workaround: change map type from time to time or use the OpenStreetMap based maps.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tim Rowe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:52 am

Tried no maps at all, still crashed wtihin a minute or so ;(

The fact that it's using tons of memory isn't actually a problem for me - I've got tons - though compiling as an x64 target might eventually, one day, be a necessity if my log keeps growing. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the way .NET handles or limits memory through either launch or even compile options, but yeah, certainly strange that it can't just give it self as much as it wants... we have that issue in Java land with specifying the max heap.

Exceeding the heap isn't the only thing I've seen SportTracks die on in the past, I've seen it die on stack size too.

What I'm seeing at the moment though doesn't even give the internal out of memory issues... wondering if it might be a corrupt logbook contributing.
Tim Rowe

Postby texmurphy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Try latest ST release - memory footprint decrease by about 60% or more.
Subject: SportTracks 3.1.5314 Available

admin wrote:This release includes performance changes to improve memory usage for very large logbooks or logbooks with several years of data and 1-second sampling.

We have tested with major plugins, but some plugin problems may not be completely tested. If you use a lot of plugins, or don't have a large logbook you may want to delay installing this update.

BUGFIX:
Memory usage improvements.

ENHANCEMENTS:
Memory usage improvements.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Re: [FIXED] OutOfMemory exception when saving logbook

Postby admin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 am

Fixed in 3.1.5314.

3 year bugfix. Almost as bad as Firefox. :?
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby texmurphy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:38 pm

I have re-assembled my Logbook 8)
For the past several years I have kept only three years of data in a current logbook. This meant that every January I would split the logbook to an archive logbook and a current logbook, then delete the oldest year from the current logbook. This was the only way to prevent OOM faults.
admin wrote:Fixed in 3.1.5314.
3 year bugfix.

With a little effort, I have reloaded all those removed activities back into my current logbook.
And it works, and it is a GIANT, HUGE, BIG Logbook.
How big???
Size on Disk 279,228 KB
Activities 2792
GPS Data Points 10,029,590
Data Track Measurements 26,455,070
GC Total memory 629,842,512
Total Activity Time 4994 Hours

Note that all the activities in this logbook have been compressed using the Data Compression Plugin, so the logbook could have been much larger on re-assembly.

Things are a little slower to load. I will have to do some timings, but I think I may increase the overclock on my machine from 3.8 to 4.0. It may be time for a new cpu cooler... The SSD upgrade from a hard disk is very worthwhile.

Edit: I have done some timings. The time from task start to Daily Activity ready on the 3-year logbook is 25 seconds, and on the full 10 year logbook is 34 seconds.

ST3 Mem Mgmt Success.jpg
My Ten Year Logbook re-assembled without OOM thanks to Bug Fix
ST3 Mem Mgmt Success.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 16585 times
Last edited by texmurphy on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 pm

admin wrote:Fixed in 3.1.5314.

3 year bugfix. Almost as bad as Firefox. :?

Anyway 1000 kudos to the guy(s) who fixed it.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi Tex,

9 seconds for 7 more Years seems to be accetable, thanks for your test. That's really great news, a real big step forward for ST, as it wasn't acceptable for such a great software to collect only a few Years of data.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Plus now I actually have a meaningful Training Load Plugin History since just using the prior 3 years always had a startup period guess.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:41 pm

We are now 6 months beyond the release and wouldn't you know but I seem to be again bumping against a memory wall.
With a little caution (set Map=NONE and current day to non-activity day and wait for all garbage collection to complete (30-60 seconds) and do Logbook->Save instead of Save at Exit) I can still save the whole big logbook without OOM.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Logbook Save near MAX Working Set
Image1.jpg (137.13 KiB) Viewed 15741 times
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby smaryka » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:27 am

Yep I'm seeing this today too. Logbook over 171K and it won't load let alone save. :(
smaryka
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:50 pm

I am now having to resort to special actions to get a logbook save without OOM.
Switch map provider to NONE, move to day with zero activities, wait several minutes for all garbage collection to complete, and then do a Logbook->Save

I may need to split logbook soon - too bad as it has been great having everything in a single logbook.

OOM on Logbook.jpg
Logbook getting OOM on Save
OOM on Logbook.jpg (17.55 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

OutOfMemory Exception when Loading Logbook

Postby texmurphy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 pm

I have been able to still Save my Logbook by using Map=NONE and changing Daily Activity to a date without activity and then waiting for all memory operations to settle (usually 2 or 3 minutes).
Today I saved my logbook after adding about 3.5 hours of one second plus power recording of a bike ride with success.

However if Map is set to other than NONE, I cannot load the Logbook even with a fresh boot of Win 7.
Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.Array.Resize[T](T[]& array, Int32 newSize)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Data.GPS.GPSRoute2.ResizeValueData(Int32 length)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Data.TimeDataSeriesBase`1.set_Capacity(Int32 value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Data.Activity.ReadXml(XmlDocument xmlDoc, XmlNamespaceManager nsmgr, XmlElement node)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Data.Logbook.ReadXml(XmlDocument xmlDoc, XmlNamespaceManager nsmgr, XmlElement node)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.IO.LogbookIO.Open(String filename, IJobMonitor monitor, JobResults& results)

Logbook Properties * Summary are:
Size= 321,784 KB
Activities = 2948
GPS Data Points= 11,368,200
Data Track Measurements = 31,791,030
GC Total Memory = 567,184,296
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby tndmbkr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:04 am

admin wrote:Our logbook save/load uses the .NET XML technology which has some limitation with large files (over 100MB). .............

Recently some posts on this forum deal with issues on starting up ST3 in a W10 environment
I am still running an older version of Windows.
I noticed that .NET technology in W10 has not been upgraded.
It is still .NET 3.5 ?

My question:
Does an upgrade to W10 resolve the "out of memory" problem with large logbook files ?
tndmbkr

Postby texmurphy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:05 am

google search finds nothing re:Win10 and large memory limit changes.

Interesting read is https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx and http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/483 ... ET-Process
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Re: [ST3] [FIXED] ST3 OutOfMemory exception when saving logb

Postby smaryka » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:56 am

I was able to save my logbook the last time but haven't been able to open it. Upon loading, I get this:

Any ideas how I can fix it to get it to load at least?
smaryka
Donated!
Donated!

Re: [ST3] [FIXED] ST3 OutOfMemory exception when saving logb

Postby texmurphy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Copy a prior backup to a new location (e.g. desktop) and rename it to something like "Last good load".
On a fresh computer restart (full shutdown then reboot), attempt to load that logbook.
If load successful, then change map type to NONE. Go to your plugin list and disable any plugins you do not need. Close ST3 without saving.

Now attempt to start ST3 and load your current logbook.
If success, then you will have to use procedures discussed earlier in the thread (use admin's compression plugin and/or split your logbook).

If you are using Mobi, then you cannot split the logbook without interference with Mobi. Mobi might try to repopulate your logbook, or you may cause Mobi to delete online saved activities. I do not use Mobi and cannot recommend your best actions in this case.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs