Downloads: 1,404 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Importing problem with GFD on F3 .91b

Importing problem with GFD on F3 .91b

Postby Z74 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:42 am

Dear OMB,

after a few users reported having problems (possibly of magnetic origin) with distance counting in some swimming pools (and even only in some lanes of the same swimming pool!), Garmin has launched an update that is still in open beta phase as I write but which will most likely become official within 2 weeks for the Fenix3, Fenix3HR, Tactix, Quatix etc. etc.

I have tested .91b this morning in a different swimming pool from the one I usually go to and had the standard 100% accuracy both on the watch and on Garmin Connect... Yet, when I went to import this swim: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1081672474 into ST3 with the GFD plugin I had several inconsistencies and about 200m missing.

Curiously, it doesn't happen with the standard ST3 importer. It only happens with GFD and it had NEVER happened before this beta.
When you have a moment, it might be useful to check out what's happening.

The log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/djfillr4q5vas32/1081672474.zip?dl=0

Cheers!
Z74

Re: Importing problem with GFD on F3 .91b

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:09 am

Have a look at page "Events" for this activity. You can see that the timer hasn't been started but after 3 minutes after you've jumped into the pool.
The plugin skips any lengths before having started your device. This feature has been introduced as change no. [#39] - see the plugin's change history at http://sporttracks-plugins.com/SportTra ... story.html , in order to overcome issues with fenix2 devices.
So the solution is simple: press the start button before starting to swim.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:08 am

For some reason the standard ST3 importer sees all 4km (unfortunately there can't be an EVENTS page here).
Same goes with Garmin Connect: all lengths were counted.

Let's hold our horses and see what happens tomorrow morning but, really, I did hit the start button, you know I am maniacal with precision and I would have restarted the whole interval from the beginning rather than starting the activity mid-way. I am more inclined to think that Garmin made a mistake (of course I have reported this to the DEVs 5' before reporting it to you yesterday).
Z74

Postby Z74 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:12 am

Today's 4km: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1084685176

ST3 importer: 4km.
Garmin connect: 4km.
GFD importer: 3,98Km. (inconsistency in lap no. 1 after 0,00 km: missing length)

I also noticed something I hadn't noticed Saturday: The ST3 importer shows a time of 50' (active time 1:14'37"). It means it has excluded the 24'xx" from the active time from the DRILL but it DID get its 1000m (I use drill when I do kicks with fins and add the distance manually). GFD importer shows a time of 1:14'13" and an active time of 1:18'15". Shouldn't this be the other way round... I mean active time shouldn't include the rest intervals, right? It looks like the ST3 importer has a problem with time but GFD timing is correct.

GC shows time is 1:18'16".

File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebyhdh4zjkutv ... y.zip?dl=0

What is the reason behind GFD missing that single length today (and those 8 Saturday) when neither ST3 nor GC (nor the F3) missed it, is beyond me to understand but since this happened ONCE in thousands of lengths before this beta patch, it has got to have something to do with this beta and GFD plugin.
Z74

Postby Z74 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:12 am

And there comes another confirmation: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1087022623

As you see the F3 doesn't miss a single length, nor did it with the previous software versions.

GFD importer shows 3.93 and

inconsistency in lap no. 1 after 0,00 km: missing length

I'm afraid the new code of the .91b messes up with something inside GFD. OMB, if you think the problem is in fix #39 perhaps a beta version without that fix might do the trick.
Meanwhile it's better to still hold our horses until this version is released officially because we never know.

What I think is that because of 91% of those who complain being incompetent, 8% having faulty devices and 1% having magnetic problems, I'm getting screwed because of this glitch to save just that 1%. :cry:

I'm keeping all these .fit files in a safe place. Can't import them with the bug in the standard ST3 importer (time bug) and can't import them with GFD's missing lengths either (wrong data averaging).
Z74

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:50 am

I introduced fix #39 with good reason. Your current issues look like a glitch in the new fenix software. You should try and pester Garmin support a bit more - I feel that they deserve it much more than I do :)

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:18 am

old_man_biking wrote:I introduced fix #39 with good reason. Your current issues look like a glitch in the new fenix software. You should try and pester Garmin support a bit more - I feel that they deserve it much more than I do :)

I know it's Garmin's fault, I've known all along.
What can I say let's hope they don't publish this .91b otherwise their glitch becomes your problem too. :P

You don't seriously think I haven't already pestered Garmin, do you? :lol:
Z74

Return to Pool Swimming