by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,406 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

A few obs about Pool Swimming Plugin

A few obs about Pool Swimming Plugin

Postby Z74 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:54 am

I wanted to point out that when you hit the "Show charts" button, the window that pops up can be resized but no scroll bars appear so... resizing is pretty useless because it hides critical data and scroll bars should be applied.
Differently from the standard ST3, the data columns here can't be changed (no way to add new data columns). I suggest you add the pacing (and other possible fields related) for different interval lengths. I know 100m is the default for many things but 200, 400, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 and 5000 would be very useful.

Another thing that came to my mind is about data column for predictors. As there are running predictors (if you did some running plugins perhaps it will surely come useful), so there are swimming predictors.
1'30"/100m absolutely doesn't mean 15'/1000m pace... eheheh, a predictor is not the same as a math conversion from 100m to 1000m.

This is an example: http://www.arhy.org/swim-predict
A data column you can set, where you are told what your predicted pace would be on a given distance would be great.

http://www.swimbikerun.net.nz/sbr/Calcu ... Calculator
This instead may be useful to display a target pace as compared to your displayed pace in the data columns.
Z74

Re: A few obs about Pool Swimming Plugin

Postby Z74 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:50 am

Still connected to the lack of a proper editor in ST3.1... just following up.
Last time, 50 m were lost, log would have been unusable hadn't I used another software to cut 50m from another log, then add it to the original one and reimport it into ST3.1.

This morning the instructor stopped me right after my push, during a 2000m interval and I had to come back, switch lane and resume... that push was lost. 50 more m lost, log unusable again.
OMB, have you considered the possibility of adding/duplicating a length to the PSP? That would really solve lots of problems... you could duplicate a length, then merge it into the existing interval with auto-fix the start/end times and auto-updating the interval and the global statistics. Essentially --> Duplicate length --> Append to interval's last length --> Merge into interval --> update global stats.

I tried another procedure this morning... but the newly added length (add new manual activity), though added with a much less complex procedure, was not inserted into the original log (1 length still appears to be missing).

Alas, if they keep jamming the lanes and giving me all sorts of problems in the 50m pool I'll have lots of logs I can't use at the season's end for comparative purposes... I think it's important that analysis software take care of instrumental failures and n00bs who decide they must swim in your lane forcing instructors to stop you and move you to another lane while you're still doing your interval. These things happen and it would be the cherry on the cake if we had the possibility to fix these logs.
Z74

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:55 pm

I can only repeat: if you see the need for a particular new feature, create a poll.
A super-duper-world-class-editor is definitely out of (my) scope.
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:40 am

I know it's out of your scope, we've already talked about it and I agree.
But in regards with pool swimming, your plugin is the only thing that makes this activity actually exist in ST3.1.

You don't really need a poll to know it's a much needed feature (the length grouping from last patch didn't come after a poll, eh eh eh) but maybe you need to understand why it's needed.

I've been training with arm pads and drag ball for the last 2 months. In september I need to see if 2000m intervals have improved in STK/LT while keeping the same STK/RT.

I could compare 2000 with 1950 because the final timing is a summary on improvement but I need to look at the averages, best and worst of several key data.
A single missing length messes this all up and, unfortunately, it's stuff that happens quite frequently in a swimming pool.

I'm not saying you should do it right now... but the ability to fix logs and compare intervals from different logs is the way your PSP would improve by a huge span.

I could do the poll, no problem, what user is stupid enough to vote NO to a huge, FREE improvement?
Maybe polls are not the best way to improve PSP... Your own judgement is more important.
Z74

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:25 am

I don't want to be rude, but let's express it the simplest way possible:
Poll --> chance to get a feature
No poll --> no chance to get a feature

I don't want to decide on my judgement only, I want to decide based on user needs and feedback.
To be precise: on the needs and feedback of a multiplicity of users, not just 1 or 2 or 3.

Or course I can offer custom software development for individuals as well, but at professional rates - it's my bread and butter (well, cake and caviar :oops: ) job.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:06 am

I know man... but with the traffic we have here, I don't think the poll would ever get a decent number of votes.
Take it as a suggestion for future improvements.

Do it when (and if) you feel like doing it and when (and if) you think it's profitable. :)
Z74

Return to Pool Swimming