by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,397 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Request: Changing drill length

Request: Changing drill length

Postby DavidSturt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:56 am

I would like a feature that let me change the drill length to correct it. For example, I record 250m at pool side (I didn't have my reading glasses with me ;-) ) and would like to correct it in SportTracks to 300m.

Dave
DavidSturt
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Request: Changing drill length

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 am

You can manually enter drill lengths into your watch, right? I wasn't aware of this before.
Could you please zip a .FIT file of this swim and attach it to your post. I'll have a look then.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidSturt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:30 am

Yes, you can explicitly select DRILL on the watch and it prompts you for length of drill when you stop the drill. Intervals 4 and 7 in the attached ZIP file were recorded like that. My problem is that I sometimes set the wrong length of the drill.

Dave
Attachments
20150214-110540-1-1499-ANTFS-4-0.zip
FIT file with drill lengths at interval 4 and 7, plus screenshot
(54.99 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
DavidSturt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:18 am

Seems that there are 2 options: you buy swimming goggles with optical glasses - or I'll add an action to the plugin :lol:
If you're interested in the latter, please send me a PM with your email address and we'll see.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 am

old_man_biking wrote:Seems that there are 2 options: you buy swimming goggles with optical glasses - or I'll add an action to the plugin :lol:
If you're interested in the latter, please send me a PM with your email address and we'll see.

I chose the first option but would be interested in the second as well. :)
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:58 am

I've added an action to change the no of lenghts in a drill interval.
Will be part of the next plugin version.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:36 pm

that's great.

the feature is apparently useful but then annoying. I once did not exit drill mode properly and then splashed around for another 20 minutes (or however long it was) and strokes etc are simply not recorded in drill mode. so I turned it off. problem solved

I could be wrong.
the5krunner

Postby Switch » Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 am

the5krunner wrote:strokes etc are simply not recorded in drill mode

Yes, which is exactly what the drill mode is for. Or at least, what I use it for: any kind of drill that does not involve a more or less normal swimming movement of my watch bearing arm. Like kick sets, one arm drills, any funny arm movement drills. You need to move your watch bearing arm for the watch sensors to be able to pick up something that looks like swimming so it can count strokes etc.

Happy training
Switch
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:48 am

I do not use the drill mode because the data it generates is completely offset (and useless. We need data for swimming and not for the drills that are designed to improve swimming). Better use an entirely new interval for the drill and then work it out with ST3 PS Plugin editing features... but not in the pool. As t5kr pointed out it's a very special mode that basically works like a chronometer only. :)

Having gotten used to the Ambit2 and 3 drill modes, which allow you to ADD lengths but whose timing (the time it takes you to add it) goes to build average data (obviously unnatural) into the logs, I tried this morning to add 25m missed at the last length 39 out of 40 but I failed because I have no idea what button to press in drill mode and I don't even know if drill of the Fenix 3 works the same as drill of the A2/3.

Needless to say, St3 PS plugin allowed me to split the 39th length in 2 at 50%. I updated the strokes manually and I fixed the problem. It's just the near perfect plugin... if there only was a way to visualize not length by length (40 rows of 25m) but but 100m by 100m (10 rows of 100m) without joining those lengths it would be wonderful.
Z74

Postby Switch » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:32 am

I am very happy with the drill mode on both my Garmin Swim and my 920XT. I use it for all lengths with kicking only, one sided drills or any other funny, non-swimming like arm movements. At the end of the interval I enter the length and I am good to go for the next interval.
It even looks like the 920XT is even smarter and keeps tracks of the distance during the drill, but I need to do some further checking to be sure.

Anyway, with or without drill mode, enjoy your swim!

kind regards
Switch

Oh, I forget, the option to change drill lengths is very welcome, just used it to correct my data!
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Pool Swimming