Pool Swimming

by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,404 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

"removed 1 timer pause"....when it shouldn't.

"removed 1 timer pause"....when it shouldn't.

Postby michael_runs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:18 am

Lately I've noticed the Pool Swimming Plugin doing something incorrectly. The note in the Summary tab is "removed 1 timer pause(s) taking xx:xx:xx". It shouldn't do this. Let me explain my swim set:

press start on my Garmin 910xt
warmup 300 freestyle
press lap when done.
wait a few seconds (say 5).
press stop.
do about 400 various drills while the watch is stopped.
press start.
wait a few seconds (say 5).
press lap to start the next interval.
swim my main set.

what I should see in the Pool Swimming Plugin is the following
300 freestyle
pause of 10 seconds
main set

This is what it used to do correctly but in recent version(s) it has been skipping the start/stop and adding the entire time I was doing my 400 drills to the first warmup set.
michael_runs

Re: "removed 1 timer pause"....when it shouldn't.

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

For one or two versions the Garmin Fit Devices plugin REMOVES timer pauses during swim import and REPLACES them by rest lengths.
This is the only way, how swim sessions can be kept editable. Pauses would interfere in a way, which would make it impossible (or verrryyy hard) to make swim activities editable.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:58 am

old_man_biking wrote:For one or two versions the Garmin Fit Devices plugin REMOVES timer pauses during swim import and REPLACES them by rest lengths.
This is the only way, how swim sessions can be kept editable. Pauses would interfere in a way, which would make it impossible (or verrryyy hard) to make swim activities editable.

That is perfectly understandable and in my opinion not an issue. My main issue is the indication of time and stopped time in the standard ST activity view, as these also influences the shown pace. Somehow all the information seems to be around, because I can see my total time including pauses (using calculated values) as well as my actual swimming time (using manually entered values). Would be nice if this could be solved somehow :?:

Kind regards
Switch

PS: I also noticed that "Fastest" is not displayed correctly but I assume that to be within standard ST. It does not even take the fastest split as displayed in the ST splits view :cry:
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:17 am

Hhm, the values on ST's "Summary" page are usually calculated based on the activity's track, considering smoothing settings and other settings on the "Settings:Display:Analysis" page.
That makes it not very suitable for swimming.

However this can be switched to use entered values. See here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5731 .
How about letting the plugin maintain the totally entered time as the accumulated duration of all active lengths, i.e. moving time and switch to the "entered values" mode for this activity?
This would make the total time meaningful and the avg. pace as well.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:20 pm

I do not understand what the proposed solution would look like :oops:

In the meantime I have made some comparisons for time / stopped / pace / fastest between ST and FIT import for manual and calculated values, all based on the same FIT file. Original distance was 2.15 km, corrected distance using Pool Swimming plugin is 2.10 km. Yes, I am a slow swimmer. It is called room for improvement :D. Setting Display - Analysis is set to not "include stopped in time & distance totals" and to "include watch pauses in stopped totals"

ST - calculated: 56:22 / 13:12 / 2:37 / 2:03 (2:03 is the best split according to the Splits view)
ST - manual: 1:09:33 / 13:12 / 3:14 / 2:03 (time now includes stopped time and thereby changes pace)

FIT - calculated: 1:09:33 / 0:00 / 2:34 / 2:03 (distance 2.15 km)
FIT - manual: 56:22 / 0:00 / 2:41 / 2:03 (distance now 2.10 km)

To my surprise, fastest did not change even though I reduced the length of exactly that interval from 150 to 100 m. This only shows in the Pool Swimming plugin but is not reflected in the Splits view. That is probably why ST still shows 2:03 as fastest.
Pace is corrected and does consider the reduced distance.

I still think ST - calculated comes closest, showing time in motion and stopped time.
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:55 am

1. this has nothing to do with Pool Swimmin plugin - it's due to how ST works in general
2. forget "Fastest" for pool swimming sessions, ST's calculation of "fastest" doesn't guarantee a reasonable calculation
3. my proposed solution will provide an improvement; you don't need to understand, just believe :lol:
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:45 pm

old_man_biking wrote:3. my proposed solution will provide an improvement; you don't need to understand, just believe :lol:

Okay, fair enough - I believe. Now please go ahead, improve and deliver :wink:
Should you want to include a translation of the Pool Swimming plugin in Dutch, just let me know what I would need to do.

Kind regards
Switch
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Switch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 pm

After installing the latest version of ST as well as the FIT device plugin and the pool swimming plugin, I am now actually seeing the time I was actually moving as well as the time resting for my swim workouts!
I guess it was mainly to do with the ST bug being fixed. Anyway, standard ST import is now delivering as expected and the pool swimming plugin is still working as good as it was before.

It is almost like X-mas and birthday at the same day :lol:
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Pool Swimming