Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Rolling Sum 1 and 2

Rolling Sum 1 and 2

Postby boukejanssen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi there!

I'm an amateur/enthousiast runner, trying to step up gradually and break PR's on yearly basis at least. My training age for running is about 2 years now, of which the last year I'm able to do 3 to 4 runs a week. All types of training, LSD, tempo's, interval, etc. I've studied this plugin for a few days now and I really like it. Bought the activation to be able to see 'the training load' of all of my training history. Quite fascinating to see and compare the graphs with results and 'gut feeling' over time. Nice to have some kind of 'prediction/forecast' of future events and a great help to plan the upcoming training periods. Good to see the small steps up and the effect of resting at the right time.

I'm working with the 'factory defaults' regarding the factors for my HR zones. The plugin seems to work fine with my 5 (6 actually) Zoladz zones. TRIMP numbers may be a little high (I read about TRIMP 100 for a 1 hour max out event and my TRIMPs are higher for less heavy runs), but since I'm just comparing to myself, not a big issue I think.

Now for my question: How should I interpret rolling sum 1 and 2? I tried to find clear answers for that but I'm not quite sure about it. What exactly is it telling me? The added km's over the last 7 days? If so, it doesn't match my 'mileage' so I think it's something else. Can someone please explain to mo how this works? Might be something pretty simple, but I just can't figure it out at the moment :P

Thanks!

Bouke
Runner | FR305 | ST3
boukejanssen

Re: Rolling Sum 1 and 2

Postby dirk66 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 am

Hi Bouke,

You can set the parameters for rolling sum 1 and 2 at the settingspage of the trainingload plugin. i'm not sure what the default settings are. But you can set the number of days which it counts and choose between distance, time and TRIMP as value which will be counted.

Hope this helps,
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby boukejanssen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Dirk,

Thanks/dank je for your reply. Yes, that was my guess also, but I got some strange reading that didn't seem to be correct when I manually counted my km's of the last 7 or 28 days.

Defaults are 7 and 28 for distance. In the meantime I found out why I got the strange results.

When you show the graph for Training Load, you can choose which categories to 'calculate' (select that top left, after the word Training Load). When I put that one to my running categories, the graph shows my running activities. The list of activities below the graph shows the selected categories, but the rolling sums for 7 and 28 days show the total 'mileage' of all categories, that means in the sums I also see the km's I did on my hometrainer, when the roads were too slippery in dec/jan.

So, maybe Mechgt can confirm that this is the case. It would be nice so see the sums show the actual distance when you switch categories in graph view. Or maybe I still overlooked a setting regarding this 'issue'

Anyway, glad I found out myself, because it's one of the simplest calculations done with the plugin :lol:

Thanks!

Bouke
Runner | FR305 | ST3
boukejanssen

Postby boukejanssen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Workaround for now:

Put bike km's in 'My friends activities' with km's and make pseudo activity with TRIMP only (no km's) in 'My activities'.

This way I still have my trimp added from the bike activities, but the list shows running km's only.
Runner | FR305 | ST3
boukejanssen

Postby dirk66 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Bouke

Glad you found out why. I've never noticed that behaviour, but then i'm not much of a runner. :lol:

If you want to have some specific rolling sum fields you might want to check the calculate fields plugin so you don't have to move arround with your activities.
{DISTANCE(Sum,28)}/1000.0 as formula and {CATEGORY}.Contains("hardlopen") as condition gives you in a custom field the rolling sum over the last 28 days of activities in the category hardlopen.

Loop ze
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks for the report. I'll take a look at that and make sure the rolling sums are being properly filtered. You might also check the 'Filter Charts settings'. Checked would mean that the filter does apply to charts (what you're expecting), Unchecked would mean that the chart data is not filtered by selected category (what you're experiencing).

The category filter always applies to the activity list below, but it's optional whether or not to apply it to the chart data.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:29 pm

Maybe I missed something, but I dont understand why the plugin doesnt allow to use TSS for rolling sums. One can switch between TRIMP and TSS to display the load in two ways, but the rolling sums charts are alwayd TRIMP, distance or time.

Nobody has asked yet for adding TSS to the rolling sum options? Now I politely do.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby mechgt » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:Maybe I missed something, but I dont understand why the plugin doesnt allow to use TSS for rolling sums. One can switch between TRIMP and TSS to display the load in two ways, but the rolling sums charts are alwayd TRIMP, distance or time.

Nobody has asked yet for adding TSS to the rolling sum options? Now I politely do.

It does use TRIMP or TSS. The wording on the settings page should be updated to TRIMP/TSS as that's what the plugin actually displays. The charted data is however correctly using TRIMP or TSS based on which score type you currently have selected.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:36 am

Thanks for confirming it.
Maybe I was just simply tired when I tried to check the TSS sum of last week and I falsely observed that it was not in line with the chart :oops:
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby King of Waffles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:33 am

I found a good use for the rolling sums. If you have it compute a rolling sum of TSS (TRIMP) over a really long period, like 180-360 days, you'll get a better indication of fitness in the long term. For example, if you were consistently running for several years and took a few months off, in a sense you'd still be in better shape than if you hadn't run for years beforehand, but by the 45 days over which CTL is computed by default, it would appear that you lost all of your fitness and have to start all over again from zero. Or if you do an insane workload for a few weeks, your CTL might rise fast but this doesn't necessarily mean you got more fit all of a sudden. The consistent training that your body absorbs over months and years is a more fitting indicator of fitness IMO.

I propose to call this long term type of training load Robusticity, since it is sort of an indicator of one's mental toughness or experience. As an example, here is the rolling sum taken over 360 days (about a year). By that metric, I'm about as robust now as I've ever been, although I may not be in the same purely phiscal shape. I do feel this way in a very real sense.
King of Waffles

Postby the5krunner » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 pm

+1

GREAT idea...off to try it now

just come back

hmm i'm the most 'robust' i've ever been as well. Have to say it does tie in with my recollection of reality over last 5 years as well. nice.
the5krunner

Postby King of Waffles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Actually, I think a better term for this quantity is Base because basically that's what it is. To me, six months or longer is a better indicator of long term absorption of training than CTL. I tried setting my CTL interval to 180 days, but I found that I still like the standard ~50 day CTL in addition to the long rolling sum.
King of Waffles

Return to Training Load