by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,395 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Latest version problem with Swimsense

Latest version problem with Swimsense

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 am

I did a 3000 yard set yesterday and imported it today using your newest version. At first the session came in with a total distance of 3000 yards, but the session stats were displayed as 01:43.4 min/100 yd * FREESTYLE * 11.2 * 40.7 * 25.15

The pool length is 25 yards and is now shanged to 25.15 yards. If I change the pool length to 25 yards, then the distance changes to reflect the 0.15 yards lost and shows the total as 2982 yards.
ALL of the older swim sorkouts that were imported with the previous version now report the the distance as meters and open water. When I go to the pool length setting, it has 25.15 yards input. When I change it to 25 yards and enter it, the distance is now short again and back to yards.

Last edited by Burnt Toast on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Latest version problem

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 am

Seems like an "improvement" that has crept into the plugin when adding open water swimming support.
Did you import with ST's native .FIT importer or with Garmin FIT Devices plugin?
Could you please zip the .FIT file of this swim and attach it to your post and I'll have a look.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:10 am

old_man_biking wrote:Seems like an "improvement" that has crept into the plugin when adding open water swimming support.
Did you import with ST's native .FIT importer or with Garmin FIT Devices plugin?
Could you please zip the .FIT file of this swim and attach it to your post and I'll have a look.

I'm using a Finis Swimsense for my swimming activities, therefore I don't have a .fit file. I think thats where the problem lies?
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:29 am

Workaround:
Create a new logbook in ST and import the Swimsense activity into this logbook.
Then - before doing anything else - save the logbook and attach the zipped logbook file to your post.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:43 am

old_man_biking wrote:Workaround:
Create a new logbook in ST and import the Swimsense activity into this logbook.
Then - before doing anything else - save the logbook and attach the zipped logbook file to your post.

Cheers,
OMB

Problem with the workaround.......It seems that you only get ONE try at importing from Swimsense, there are a couple posts about this. Whn I try to upload into the "new" logbook, I get an error message that reads "Root element is missing".

I will be doing a swim workout over my lunch break today. I can try to upload that workout into the new logbook, zip and post it, but then I lose the ability to upload it into my logbook.

MTA: do you need an entire logbook, or just a .fitlog of a recent swim workout?
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Here is this afternoon's swim session's fitlog
swim data 6-19-12.fitlog
(11.63 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Ouch, fitlog isn't enough - it doesn't contain the per-length information.
So please send the logbook with the one activity.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Robert's ZIPPED History1.zip
(95.4 KiB) Downloaded 301 times

This months swim workouts. Todays swim workout upload has not been altered.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks for the data.

I'm pretty sure to know what's going on.
Latest version of Pool Swimming Plugin has added open water swimming support (Garmin 910XT has an open water swimming mode).
As there's no explicit criterion in ST's activity properties, the plugin assumes an activity with lengths of identical distance a pool swimming activity, one with lengths of differing distance an open water swimming activity.
Seems that Swimsense + Swimsense Import Plugin create differing distances.
Will try to find a solution in the Pool Swimming Plugin.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Yep, that should be fixed.
@BurntToast: could you send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a beta that should work well for your Swimsense activities.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:10 pm

pm sent
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 am

old_man_biking wrote:Yep, that should be fixed.
@BurntToast: could you send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a beta that should work well for your Swimsense activities.

Seems to be working now with the beta you sent. Thanks
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Latest version problem with Swimsense

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:33 pm

After my lunch swim today, I noticed that the activity time that is displayed on the "Summary" page is differnet from the "moving time" in the pool swimmimg page metrics. I think this was fixed in a previous version, but is back again and may have something to do with the post processing that you implemented in the beta you sent.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 am

Moving time on the summary page is calculated based on the speed track and timer pauses (if present).
The calculation is influenced by several settings, e.g. the "Stopped" threshold in the category settings, a few check marks on Settings:Analysis, ....
You have set this threshold for swim:indoor in the logbook you sent me. I don't know if your setting makes sense, I'd rather say it does not.

In contrast moving time on the pool swimming page is simply summarized from the non-rested swim lengths - which is definitely more accurate for this type of activities.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am

old_man_biking wrote:Moving time on the summary page is calculated based on the speed track and timer pauses (if present).
The calculation is influenced by several settings, e.g. the "Stopped" threshold in the category settings, a few check marks on Settings:Analysis, ....
You have set this threshold for swim:indoor in the logbook you sent me. I don't know if your setting makes sense, I'd rather say it does not.

In contrast moving time on the pool swimming page is simply summarized from the non-rested swim lengths - which is definitely more accurate for this type of activities.

Hmmm, I haven't changed anything and its was working before the plugin update. If you look at the last two screenshots, you can see the activity time shown by ST was 20:23 and matched the "Time Moving" that your plugin displayed. After I changed the pool length (last screenshot), the ST time changed to 19:33 while the plugin time remained unchanged. The "splits" window also shows the correct time.

What do you think the settings should be then?
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm

If it had something to do with pauses or stopped time, wouldn't ST's summary page time be a longer duraction then the actual moving time? After the updated plugin and subsequent processing, ST's time is now shorter in duration.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 am

OMB

I do not think my problem is a core ST problem. When I initially upload the activity from Swimsens, the moving time and the ST activity summary are very close to each other. The next step is to perform one of the new edit fuctions of your plugin, "Fix Differing Pool Length". After the processing of that command, the core ST activity summary time changes and loses time.
Before pool length processing

After pool length processingImage
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:34 am

They differ, ok.
But which one is correct?
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:10 am

old_man_biking wrote:They differ, ok.
But which one is correct?

The correct time is the "Moving Time" which matches what is displayed on the Swimsense training log and is the time that originally is displayed on ST's Summary pane. When processing data in "Pool Swimming", the "moving time" never changes, but the ST summary pane time changes. This occurred after the update to the plugin. I'm no programmer, but it seems something in the "pool swimming" plugin is changing things that the core ST reads.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 am

Well the previous versions couldn't change that time, because the action that you're now using didn't exist then.
And yes, the action changes data that the ST core reads: after fixing the incorrect distances of some lengths it has to update the distance track. And this is used by ST to determine speed and the time displayed on the "Summary" page.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am

old_man_biking wrote:Well the previous versions couldn't change that time, because the action that you're now using didn't exist then.
And yes, the action changes data that the ST core reads: after fixing the incorrect distances of some lengths it has to update the distance track. And this is used by ST to determine speed and the time displayed on the "Summary" page.

So do I log this in the main forum as a bug with ST?

Do I just have to live with it and change the total swim time manually after every swim import?
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 am

Had a much deeper look into that and found the reason why.
The plugin has to recalculate the distance/speed track when fixing the differing pool lengths.
I've optimized that recalculation so that an optimal (in my imagination) speed track would result. Obviously that conflicts with ST's algorithm to calculate moving time.
I've just sent you another plugin beta where I've changed that calculation to yield moving times that are much closer to the correct values.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:12 am

First chance to import a swim workout this morning and it seems to be working now. If it acts up, I'll let you know :shock: Thanks.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Pool Swimming