by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,415 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Pool Swimming plugin

Re: Pool Swimming plugin

Postby carstenj » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 am

I would like to do a beta test and give feedback. I will sent PM with my email.
carstenj
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Carthamus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:54 pm

I just received my 910x, downloaded the plugin and am, as always with OMB plugins, very happy with it. One thing that I would also like to do is change rest intervals to swimming. I like my kick sets (even if kicking is overrated :wink: ), and it would be nice to have them show up. Could I also try the new beta-version?
Carthamus
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Send me a PM with your email address - you're number 2/2 :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Strolch06 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:21 am

Carthamus wrote:I just received my 910x, downloaded the plugin and am, as always with OMB plugins, very happy with it. One thing that I would also like to do is change rest intervals to swimming. I like my kick sets (even if kicking is overrated :wink: ), and it would be nice to have them show up. Could I also try the new beta-version?

I have the same Problem. So it will be very nice, if it was possible, to change the rest to swim :)
Strolch06

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 am

It IS possible, I'll soon release the new version.
Meanwhile you should convince your coach to get dispensation from drill lengths :twisted: :twisted:
I can give you an attestation that you can impossibly do that right now :lol:
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jtw » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Would it be possible to have the plugin generate a TRIMP/TSS score based on a stored critical swim speed (CSS)? This would be helpful as it would simplify the manual calculation I have to do now so it can be included in total CTL/ATL.

CSS would be expressed as distance/minute. There are different methods a user might use to obtain this value, such as a 400 yard and 200 yard swim test where CSS would be calculated by (400-200)/(400 time-200 time) - although the user can determine the method they feel best represents CSS.

TRIMP would then be calculated by:
1. Express distance vs. time in distance/minute to obtain normalized swim speed (NSS) for each interval
2. Divide NSS by CSS to obtain IF
3. Swim TRIMP/TSS = (Intensity Factor cubed) x hours x 100

Thanks
jtw

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Are your formulas widely agreed upon or "only" your individual suggestion?
If yes, could you give me some relevant links. When googling for TRIMP + swimming I didn't find any references.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jtw » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:54 am

I can't take any credit for this formula. As I understand it, this is a method many use since it attempts to establish something akin to FTP for cycling; and then scores the swim against that baseline. From my research online the only other approach seems to be people assigning a random value of x TSS per yard or per minute (which they can already easily do in the comments field using TRIMP=XX). I prefer something a little more precise which is how I actually came across the above formula when looking thru the sporttracks forum (the post provides a link):
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8534&locale=es#p60096

Additionally this article seems to support the general approach:
http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2 ... g-tss.html

Thank you.
jtw

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:00 am

That explains why I couldn't find any references in the WWW.
I'm however somewhat relucant to add a metrics to my plugins that is not widely used/accepted.

How about Calculated Fields plugin - can you use that to calculate your swimming TRIMPs?

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:01 am

old_man_biking wrote:That explains why I couldn't find any references in the WWW.
I'm however somewhat relucant to add a metrics to my plugins that is not widely used/accepted.

How about Calculated Fields plugin - can you use that to calculate your swimming TRIMPs?

Cheers,
OMB

Here is something I found on TrainingPeaks about swimming stress score http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... score.aspx
here is another approach: http://www.trainstravels.co.uk/2011/03/ ... -swimming/

MTA: after clicking the link above your post, I see it takes me to the same TrainingPeaks article.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jtw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:58 pm

I think using the CSS is a pretty widely used approach. Training Peaks and Swim Smooth both use that method. I guess others would need to chime in that a) swim TRIMP would be useful b) they agree with using CSS.

Meanwhile, I am trying the calculated fields approach. However, after testing the obvious fields I can't seem to get anything that equates to the sum total of each interval distance and moving time in the pool plugin. This might be because I am changing the total time and distance on the summary tab to include kick sets so the values there are different than within the plugin. Where are the fields in calculated fields that equate to distance and moving time for the intervals in the pool plugin?

Again, ideally, I am trying to sum each interval as a ratio against CSS so I need each interval distance and moving time.

Thanks
jtw

Postby Angelus » Fri May 11, 2012 8:09 am

After reading this:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=25114&page=5
I thought that it would be great to have the possbility to add HR Data to a Swim in ST.

What do you think OMB? Is it feasible?
Angelus
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri May 11, 2012 9:18 am

Could you give me a management abstract, please :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dirk66 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:28 pm

old_man_biking wrote:Could you give me a management abstract, please :)

Use a different device to record HR data because the default garmin belts can't be used in the water. The frequency garmin uses to send the data from belt to the device is to "weak" to send it through water. (probably not the right words in english)

They like to have an option to import data from some suunto device combined with the 910 data. Or an edit after option to adjust that data
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri May 11, 2012 7:22 pm

If there already is an importer for this other device (Suunto ?), SportTracks already lets you import the HR data from it and - instead of creating a new activity - add the HR track to an existing activity.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Angelus » Sat May 12, 2012 4:20 pm

OMB you're a genius!
if I find a Memory Belt for a decent price, I'll try it!
Angelus
Donated!
Donated!

Support for open water swimming

Postby carstenj » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:59 am

When uploading to Garmin Connect you can see some stroke metrics for open water swims. Could the swimming plugin support that as well? Here is a link to a workout on Garmin Connect http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184308985. I have also attached the corresponding fit file.
Attachments
20120601-073016-1-1328-ANTFS-4-0.FIT
(13.26 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
carstenj
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:03 am

Which metrics in detail? Ascent/descent?
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm

old_man_biking wrote:Which metrics in detail? Ascent/descent?

Will the plugin work for divers? ...will the recording device?
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby carstenj » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 pm

I am thinking about the strokes metrics.
carstenj
Donated!
Donated!

Postby S222sgr » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:08 am

Hi there

Many congratulations on a fantastic plugin (I have abandoned Garmin altogether). I f I may I have a couple of suggestions:

1. An ability to set add to or edit the notes field - I want to be able to describe what I was doing (using paddles, warm up, etc.)
2. An ability to set up different strokes for trainging (Sprint Freestyle, Drill - Fins and Float, etc.)
3. An ability to set pool length to 2 decimal places (I train in a 33 1/3rd metre pool and when you do a long session the distance can be out quite a bit - I know the Garmin watch I use does not do this either)
4. An ability to adjust the scale on the charts to see the variations more accurately (i.e. in Pace from 1:20 per 100m to 2:00 per 100m rather than starting at zero)

Many thanks

Simon
S222sgr

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:22 am

S222sgr wrote:Hi there

Many congratulations on a fantastic plugin (I have abandoned Garmin altogether). I f I may I have a couple of suggestions:

1. An ability to set add to or edit the notes field - I want to be able to describe what I was doing (using paddles, warm up, etc.)
2. An ability to set up different strokes for trainging (Sprint Freestyle, Drill - Fins and Float, etc.)
3. An ability to set pool length to 2 decimal places (I train in a 33 1/3rd metre pool and when you do a long session the distance can be out quite a bit - I know the Garmin watch I use does not do this either)
4. An ability to adjust the scale on the charts to see the variations more accurately (i.e. in Pace from 1:20 per 100m to 2:00 per 100m rather than starting at zero)

Many thanks

Simon

1. Notes can be edited per interval on the "Splits" page. SportTracks doesn't provide notes per length.
EDIT: will add a notes edit field to the "Pool Swimming" detail page in the next version.
2. The set of swim stroke types is defined by ST, not by the plugin. ST seems to have followed the Garmin set of stroke types. You can use the notes (per interval) to add details.
3. Will consider that for the next version.
4. You can scale the charts like all other charts in ST, using mouse wheel to zoom and mouse drag to pan.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby S222sgr » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks very much and my apologies, I am new to ST and not aware of all the functionailty.
S222sgr

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 am

No need to excuse.
Be prepared to paddle through an ocean of functionality when diving into SportTracks :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby matthew2811 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:48 am

Hello OMB,
In the recent Garmin 910 firmware update 2.5 they improved some swim features. In my first swim since the update I have noticed that the rest periods are now showing as having 65535 strokes. Everything else appears to be fine except this one anomaly. I've attached the swim fit file for you.
Thanks
Attachments
20120614-145836-1-1328-ANTFS-4-0.FIT
FIT file
(8.63 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
firmware 2.5.PNG
picture
firmware 2.5.PNG (17.1 KiB) Viewed 21494 times
matthew2811

PreviousNext

Return to Pool Swimming