Downloads: 19,873 (29) • Reviews: 20

Version:

Updated:

Jan 11, 2013

FR610 - % of Max HR and Custom HR Zones

FR610 - % of Max HR and Custom HR Zones

Postby coley54321 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi there,

For the following setting on the watch... Setup > Heart Rate Monitor > HR Zones > Based On...

Whatever combination of selections I try in GF settings I cannot seem to get the profile I export from GF to the 610 to take a 'Based On' setting of % Max HR. It always shows as BPM. Does anyone also have this issue? I have tried all the obvious combinations of settings between GF profile area and GF settings area.

Also, when I create a custom workout in GF. I create a custom zone 60% - 75%, and send it to the watch. The interesting thing is that it takes to the watch correctly, and when viewing / editing this workout on the watch the values indeed show as percentages rather than BPM.

However, when I “Do Workout”, the values don’t work. I run into the middle of the zone (running at 71% max HR for example), but the watch keeps telling me my HR is too low. I ran up to 85% max HR but still too low. I.e. it doesn't notify me "in desired zone", or "HR too high", just at intermittent intervals it tells me my HR is too low, irrespective of where it is.

My Heart rate Monitor > HR Zone settings are set to...

Based On = %Max HR
Max HR = 186
Zones as default.

Could you please follow my steps and test and try to replicate this issue? It is driving me mad!! :cry:

Thanks
Coley
coley54321

Re: FR610 - % of Max HR and Custom HR Zones

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:01 am

I don't have a 610 to help you out. As far as I'm concerned my plugin isn't part of the problem since everything looks fine on the device, apart from the settings, which also sounds like an issue with the device.

Did you try to ask on the Garmin Forums?
Does it work the same way when using GTC instead of my plugin?

coley54321 wrote:Hi there,

For the following setting on the watch... Setup > Heart Rate Monitor > HR Zones > Based On...

Whatever combination of selections I try in GF settings I cannot seem to get the profile I export from GF to the 610 to take a 'Based On' setting of % Max HR. It always shows as BPM. Does anyone also have this issue? I have tried all the obvious combinations of settings between GF profile area and GF settings area.

Also, when I create a custom workout in GF. I create a custom zone 60% - 75%, and send it to the watch. The interesting thing is that it takes to the watch correctly, and when viewing / editing this workout on the watch the values indeed show as percentages rather than BPM.

However, when I “Do Workout”, the values don’t work. I run into the middle of the zone (running at 71% max HR for example), but the watch keeps telling me my HR is too low. I ran up to 85% max HR but still too low. I.e. it doesn't notify me "in desired zone", or "HR too high", just at intermittent intervals it tells me my HR is too low, irrespective of where it is.

My Heart rate Monitor > HR Zone settings are set to...

Based On = %Max HR
Max HR = 186
Zones as default.

Could you please follow my steps and test and try to replicate this issue? It is driving me mad!! :cry:

Thanks
Coley
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:04 am

I found your thread, it seems you asked in the Garmin Forums & tried with GTC...

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=23684
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby coley54321 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 am

Hi There,

Yes I have tried everything! Even purchased Sporttracks hoping it might help. I'm finding their customer service truly awful.

I rang their support, spent 40 mins waiting only to be told it's better that I send a detailed email to techsupp at garmin.com. I then did that (back on Monday), and haven't had even so much as an acknowledgement. I've since resent the email this morning.

Is it too much to ask for a product to work as advertised?! I am really willing things to work out and Garmin and I to live happily ever after, but I'm considering asking for a refund and going with another brand if this continues.

Do you happen to know a more efficient means of getting to their support team quickly? I get the sense they are all generic support staff. I think the problem is FR610 specific so I really need to speak with someone there that knows the ins and outs of that model.

Thanks
Coley
coley54321

Postby coley54321 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:31 am

By the way - loving your plugin!! if i can get my watch to work I will definitely be donating.
coley54321

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:13 am

No I don't have a direct contact unfortunately. The best I ever got was a direct contact at ANT which relayed my questions to Garmin and gave me precise answers. This was all related to the FIT file format but once I got out of that zone, the contact was of no help and contacting Garmin directly was worthless.

Anyways, what version of the firmware are you running? Did you try other versions?

Good luck

coley54321 wrote:Hi There,

Yes I have tried everything! Even purchased Sporttracks hoping it might help. I'm finding their customer service truly awful.

I rang their support, spent 40 mins waiting only to be told it's better that I send a detailed email to techsupp at garmin.com. I then did that (back on Monday), and haven't had even so much as an acknowledgement. I've since resent the email this morning.

Is it too much to ask for a product to work as advertised?! I am really willing things to work out and Garmin and I to live happily ever after, but I'm considering asking for a refund and going with another brand if this continues.

Do you happen to know a more efficient means of getting to their support team quickly? I get the sense they are all generic support staff. I think the problem is FR610 specific so I really need to speak with someone there that knows the ins and outs of that model.

Thanks
Coley
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby coley54321 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 am

Hi,

I am using the latest firmware for sure. I think I will just give them their product back and go elsewhere!
coley54321

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:19 am

coley54321 wrote:Hi,

I am using the latest firmware for sure. I think I will just give them their product back and go elsewhere!

I would actuallly recommend trying older firmwares. Garmin are known to have many bad firmwares and introducing more bugs than they fixed...

Garmin have great features on their devices but awful support and not so good software/firmware unfortunately.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby coley54321 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:48 am

yes, but features are only good if they work. I do get the feeling they rush to push products to market and don't do enough testing, and then go missing when customers hold them to account.

It doesn't leave customers with a great feeling to buy something and then receive such poor support. They either need to make products that work right off the bat, and therefore no need to have a high levels of customer service.

I wouldn't mind if it had bugs or issues, so long as I felt they actually acknowledged the problem and gave me a date in the future for when it will be fixed (and keep the promise). At the moment I'm not even getting a decent level of reply, let alone any management of expectations in terms of when it might be fixed.

Anyway, it's almost the weekend and that means a long run on sunday! Have a great weekend.
coley54321

Return to Garmin Fitness