http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=3607
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Re:

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Xiaoan wrote:Hi,

on my Forerunner 405 I can display HR, %HRmax and %HRR. I always use %HRR since this is how I calculate my HR Zones.

Greetings,

Andre

Ok, it's an omission then and it will be added shortly.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Garmin Fitness 1.1

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:04 pm

% HR reserve added in 1.1.355

This completes the work on GF for the moment. I'll still add profile export for FIT devices when I get the info from Garmin, update the Wiki and fix the bugs that pop up but I consider the plugin complete for now.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re:

Postby rikicarra » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:50 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:
ildibad wrote:Comments on the Plugin
I would really love to see more visibility and I'm working on making GF more available (I'm currently adding a "Print" feature so non-Garmin users can use it to plan their workouts too. In fact, ST would certainly like more visibility too. I'm currently reading the book "Training and racing with a power meter" by Andrew Coggan. I was disappointed that ST wasn't mentionned in the software sections.

In fact I'll write to the authors so they add it in the 3rd revision because I beleive it's a great, if not the best, tool out there. Of course I'll offer them a licence so they can test the plugin since it's an integral part of training with a power meter using an Edge (and soon even with a Polar watch). If other plugin authors are willing to give licences freely for evaluation, maybe ST can really take off.

I agree that Allen and Coggan should have mentioned your plugin, but I realize also that they are promoting WKO+ (I don't know that software, but I am sure that ST3 with the right plugins could be better :-)
I am reading the book as well, I have just bought a PowerTap and will install it soon, I am now planning my training for the next season. I believe you could somehow promote (boost?) your plugin with some side activities/features. Let me mention what I have in mind.

In preparing training for next season, I am writing many workouts. It will then be my coach to tell me what workouts and when to do them, but at the end of the day I have to write them and transfer to my Edge 705. I have already wrote twelve, using the indication in the Allen&Coggan book. It took me a while (hopefully I used your plugin, with another tool it would have taken much more time), and in front of me there are many more to write. The first suggestion is: share the load (and the knowledge) thru your plugin. I will love to contribute, if other users do the same (maybe you can drop an email to all users?) we build a small community and at the end have the full library of workouts available. I attach here the workouts I have done so far (some text in Italian, but if you agree to proceed I can easily translate to English so it will be more "neutral") just as a starting point. I have named the workouts in the same way as they are named in the book. You could provide some guidelines about the best practise to write those workouts. For example, I am still unsure if it's better to use Garmin or ST zones... is it more maintanable one way or the other? would it be easier to transfer from user to user? Setting %FTP vs. Watts, how is that affecting the maintenability/transferability of workouts? Etc.
Don't know if you would consider integrating a library of workouts directly in the plugin (maybe long term), maybe to start you could consider creating an area on the web where the workouts could be upladed and downloaded...

I have other ideas about increasing the bandwidth of the plugin, but let's start from the workouts knowledge sharing :)

BTW, the plugin is great, also the documentation on wiki is very well written, congratulations.

PS. Considering the complexity and the powerfulness of the plugin, you should consider switching to "Featured Limited Trial - Pay to Upgrade" model, I believe nobody would object.

Riccardo
Attachments
Workouts.zip
Twelve workouts from "Training and racing with a Power Meter"
(14.02 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
rikicarra

Postby PissedOffCil » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:19 pm

I started a thread in the cycling forum to share workouts. I have many (70 +) that I took from the "Workouts in a binder for indoor cycling" book. I don't share them though because of copyrights. The same applies those in Coggan&Hunter's book if you ask me...

One way or another, I have no plans of a shared library in the plugin right now but it's an interesting idea. The major problem would be hosting, I have no server and dont plan on investing in this for the simple reason that I prefer my plugin to remain free. This puts less burden on my shoulders yet the donations arrive at a rhythm I find acceptable. It won't make me rich (my GF would love it though!) but it pays for new gear and the time I invest in the plugin.

Now that we have forums per plugin, I'll start a real thread of workouts sharing. It will benefit many people.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Speaking of best practices, the workout links help a lot to avoid duplicating the work. I have a bunch of premade workouts that I reuse all the time. When I noticed an error in 1 of them, I simply update the master and then every workout using it is updated. Much faster than going through lal workouts.

For ST vs Garmin zones, it's mostly a matter of display preference. When using the Garmin zones you get the display of which zone you are currently in, not the actual number. I find this annoying and the fixed amount (too few) is also a PITA. However, device integration has it's value... I'm in the same boat as you, many options and I can't seem to find the one I like most. None are perfect!
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Previous

Return to Garmin Fitness