by PissedOffCil

Downloads: 20,041 (29) • Reviews: 20

Version:

Updated:

Jan 11, 2013

Garmin Communicator Plugin Script Error

Garmin Communicator Plugin Script Error

Postby Szczuldo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:38 pm

I have been using sporttracks since version 2 and just recently got around to buying version 3 and trying out the Garmin Fitness plugin. I'm having issues with Sporttracks and the Garmin Communicator plugin. If I go to the plugin test page on IE9 or Firefox it says I have the plugin and it sees my Edge 500 properly. In Sporttracks whenever I go to the plugin test page I get a script error and the site hangs. I have searched on these forums but still can't get this worked out.

There is also another issue with Garmin Connect where I cannot send my workouts to the device from there :/ I was hoping to be able to do it all through Sporttracks but something is hampering those efforts.

Hope someone can help out!
Szczuldo

Re: Garmin Communicator Plugin Script Error

Postby texmurphy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 pm

You could avoid using Garmin Communicator with your Edge 500.
Use the 500's usb mass storage mode instead. Connect the 500, and copy activities to storage on your pc. This allows for archival storage of your activities.fit. Then to load activities into ST, use import and specify the file folder where you are keeping your activities (or specify <device>:/Garmin/Activities to get them from the 500's file system.

To put workouts or courses onto the Edge 500, you save the workout as a .fit file to disk, then copy the workout to the <device>:/Garmin/NewFiles directory on the 500. Be sure to do a Safely Remove Hardware before unhooking the 500 from usb. Then powerup the 500 and it should process any files in the NewFiles folder.

If you have not been deleting old history from your 500, then the 500 will become unstable (more than 50 activities.fit as a rule of thumb).
Use the opportunity of copying activities off the 500 to prune your Activities folder to not very many activities.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Szczuldo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 pm

sounds like an easy work around. Garmin Communicator has always been a pain. Can't believe I did not think to just save them to disk and then transfer to the garmin! It's been a long day apparently! Thanks!
Szczuldo

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks Tex for answering this one before me!

Using the mass storage mode is definitely the way to go when it's available.
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Garmin Fitness