Downloads: 19,798 (29) • Reviews: 20

Version:

Updated:

Jan 11, 2013

Feature Request: Export Workout as CompuTrainer Erg File

Feature Request: Export Workout as CompuTrainer Erg File

Postby RecceDG » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:22 am

Here's a really simple one:

I'm using the Garmin Fitness plugin, in concert with the Fit Plan plugin, to handle my workout planning.

I create each workout in Garmin Fitness, then schedule them using Fit Plan.

Each workout is then exported to my Garmin head unit, so it beeps at the appropriate time for the appropriate reasons. Awesome possum.

However, I am buying a Computrainer very soon, and what I would like to do is be able to export those workouts not just to the Garmin unit (existing functionality) but also to the CompuTrainer (new functionality).

With this feature, the workout can be loaded into the Computrainer and the CompuTrainer load cell will self-adjust to hold the wattage for that segment.

Happily, the file format for the CompuTrainer is very simple - here is an online generator that produces them: http://63.134.234.143/tri/erg.asp

Ideally, the DESCRIPTION field would be the Garmin Fitness workout name. The filename should be the same, .erg

This only works for segments with Wattage targets and set times, obviously.

Psudocode:

On Workout Edit pane, have widget "Export to Computrainer". Default greyed out. If all workout segments have WATTAGE targets and TIME controls, activate widget. When active widget clicked, generate .erg file for that workout (unrolling loops) and present File Save dialog box.

Thanks!

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Feature Request: Export Workout as CompuTrainer Erg File

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 am

Hello,
This plugin is specific to Garmin devices. I understand the need of having a Computrainer workout manager but I would start this as a whole new plugin instead of integrating it inside Garmin Fitness. Doing what you propose would simply lead to confusion for the majority of users and I'll avoid that at all cost since there is enoguh confusion with the plugin as it is.

So... I do not exclude the possibility of creating a new plugin for this purpose if there is enoguh demand for it. It wouldn't be that complicated as most of the code is already included in GF as you noted. However, I can't say I have much time for software development with our 1 month old kid to take care of.
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby RecceDG » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Well, the idea is more to share workouts between Garmin Fitness and the CompuTrainer. The idea is to be able to have the CompuTrainer and the Garmin headunit running the same workout at the same time.

So it makes sense for Garmin Fitness to be the "home" for workout definition.

If time is the issue, can I get a copy of the source code? I'll add it in for you myself.

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Garmin Fitness