by PissedOffCil

Downloads: 19,671 (29) • Reviews: 20

Version:

Updated:

Jan 11, 2013

Converting from 7 power zones to 5?

Converting from 7 power zones to 5?

Postby nyvram » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 am

I am using 5 zones for my power settings but i noticed the garmin requires 7.

i endeed up setting up 6 and 7 as 20 -21 and 22-23 because i dont want to use them. i set up my actual numbers with the other 5. is there a better way to handle this?? i'd set up 1 and 2 with bogus numbers except that i'm using 1-5 for HR already and i dont want to be more confused with having 3-7 being my powerzone numbers.

does that make sense? i'm getting out on the bike today after downloading those values into my 500 so we'll see how it turns out..probably a mess.

oh and thanks again for this plugin cil!! so far my fav sporttracks plugin.
nyvram

Re: Converting from 7 power zones to 5?

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:35 am

I'm just enhancing my Training Analysis plugin, so that it integrates well with Garmin Fitness and lets you view a step by step comparison after you've performed a workout.
Your favourite plugin will get a companion :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:48 pm

I use 6 zones but created the bogus zone as the last zone. L6=400-1000 L7=900-1000. Using GF I've never had the unit tell me to enter L7 or that I reached L7 since L6 captures it. This way an Active Recovery L1 ride still stays L1.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the big integration of Garmin Fitness, Training Load, Fit Plan, Training Analysis and Reach Your Goal. I'm sure the end result will be awesome.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby rikicarra » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

nyvram wrote:I am using 5 zones for my power settings but i noticed the garmin requires 7.

i endeed up setting up 6 and 7 as 20 -21 and 22-23 because i dont want to use them. i set up my actual numbers with the other 5. is there a better way to handle this?? i'd set up 1 and 2 with bogus numbers except that i'm using 1-5 for HR already and i dont want to be more confused with having 3-7 being my powerzone numbers.

does that make sense? i'm getting out on the bike today after downloading those values into my 500 so we'll see how it turns out..probably a mess.

oh and thanks again for this plugin cil!! so far my fav sporttracks plugin.

I would vote for keeping the 7 "standard" power zones, as defined by Allen&Coggan and embraced by Garmin. I find very useful to have those 7 power zones defined in % of FTP, it makes my life easier, exchange of workouts with other people seamless and maintenability of workout much more efficient.
rikicarra

Postby PissedOffCil » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:33 am

nyvram wrote:oh and thanks again for this plugin cil!! so far my fav sporttracks plugin.

You're welcome, unfortunately I don't really have a solutino for you. I use zones as defined by Coggan so I have 7 but in fact I never use them, I prefer to enter %FTP directly as it give me my preferred display.

It might not be what you want, but have you considered using ST zones instead?
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Garmin Fitness