by PissedOffCil

Downloads: 20,027 (29) • Reviews: 20

Version:

Updated:

Jan 11, 2013

BUG: GF and ST crash

BUG: GF and ST crash

Postby racerfern » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:16 pm

This is the second time I've come across this scenario. I did my usual stuff in ST, download a ride, fool around with various reports and plugins then set about to create a new workout in GF. Nothing happens, I can click buttons, click on existing workouts but that's all I can do. When I click on a workout it's as if I didn't click on it since I can't edit it. Anyways, I get the following error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Application.DoSetLogbook(Logbook logbook)

Quitting ST and starting over fixes everything and I can create workouts again. Strange. As far as I can tell this happened after the last update from GF but I can't be 100% sure.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Re: GF and ST crash

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 am

I have never seen this problem. Did you change the open logbook by any chance?

I'll try to reproduce this.
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 am

At some point I may have changed from one logbook to another, I don't remember. However, I ususally do switch from one to the other when I import my data. One logbook is for look/see fun, the other one is strictly training purposes. That's the one it happened on and I've been switching logbooks for years. So I am inclined to lean toward looking at the last GF build that was just installed.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:21 am

racerfern wrote:At some point I may have changed from one logbook to another, I don't remember. However, I ususally do switch from one to the other when I import my data. One logbook is for look/see fun, the other one is strictly training purposes. That's the one it happened on and I've been switching logbooks for years. So I am inclined to lean toward looking at the last GF build that was just installed.

I haven't changed anything in the logbooks for months... I often change logbooks myself and never had this problem.
What's funny is that I don't see Garmin Fitness in the error you posted, maybe it's a problem with a recent ST version...

Let me know if you get any clue as to what might cause the problem, I'll try to reproduce this problem on my side too.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:58 pm

I don't know what could be wrong but here are some more observations:
I recently upgraded to the latest version of GF.
ST has been the same version since the last release months ago.
I don't have issues with any other plugins or anywhere else in ST.

The first time I noticed a problem, I was going to copy and paste a workout. Nothing happened. I clicked on various workouts and the workout I clicked on was highlighted but that's it. Also when clicking for other functions not GF related on the left side such as import, logbook > save, etc. nothing happened. All I can do is "X" ST to close it, then I get the error.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 pm

racerfern wrote:ST has been the same version since the last release months ago.

There was a release yesterday and another one last week. I guess you didn't upgrade... :roll:

racerfern wrote:Also when clicking for other functions not GF related on the left side such as import, logbook > save, etc. nothing happened. All I can do is "X" ST to close it, then I get the error.

But you also say "I don't have issues [...] anywhere else in ST.". I believe the problem lies within ST since you can't import or anything... Maybe my plugin triggers of the problem, I just can't see how at the moment. It could be that I'm trying to save to the logbook, and then ST realizes the problem. The plugin makes a lot of use of the logbook after all.
Are you running a remote hard drive by any chance? Maybe it fell asleep and now your logbook isn't accessible anymore?

Getting the error once you close ST is also very weird...

What version of Windows are you running?
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:49 pm

As far as recent ST upgrades, I did not upgrade in the last few days or weeks. ST doesn't checkfor upgrades all that often so I usually check manually. Mine has been the same since September or October if I remember correctly. I'm not at my PC right now. The point is ST has not changed in quite some time.

I'm running ST on the main drive, no remote drives or anything like that. Running Win7 64bit premium.

I'm inclined to think it's an ST problem but for sure your plugin is triggering the problem. Figuring it out is going to be a challenge. Last time I looked at the system log there was nothing to indicate a problem. I'll look again.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Ok keep me updated if you find anything, I'll report my investigations too.

Does this happen often?
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 pm

the original exception looks like someone set the application logbook property to null. very weird.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:19 pm

admin wrote:the original exception looks like someone set the application logbook property to null. very weird.

Absolutely, but we can't set it in plugins, right?

I'm glad you answered, do you have any other clue what might be going on here?
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:48 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:
admin wrote:the original exception looks like someone set the application logbook property to null. very weird.

Absolutely, but we can't set it in plugins, right?

I'm glad you answered, do you have any other clue what might be going on here?

Exactly.

No clue. It's weird. I've got a bad feeling this wont be easy to find.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby racerfern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Why me? :cry:

Seriously though for the next few days I'm going to put ST and GF through its paces but without opening any other logbooks. I'll only work with my main training logbook. IF the error doesn't pop up then I'll expand things by switching logbooks. I'll report back.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm

racerfern wrote:Why me? :cry:

Seriously though for the next few days I'm going to put ST and GF through its paces but without opening any other logbooks. I'll only work with my main training logbook. IF the error doesn't pop up then I'll expand things by switching logbooks. I'll report back.

I love good users like you! 8)
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:21 pm

racerfern wrote:Why me? :cry:

Makes it hard to test improvements in the iBike Plugin or any other fun new stuff :evil:
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 pm

An observation:

Open ST and go to various plugins then go to GF, everything works fine EXCEPT go to Reach Your Goal then go to GF and GF slows to a crawl. So much so that clicking on an existing workout, clicking copy then paste will give me an Not Responding warning in the title line at the top. It completes the operation but it's painfully slow. Then when I exit ST I get the same Not Responding message although the operation completes. I did just update to the latest ST release today.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:32 am

racerfern wrote:An observation:

Open ST and go to various plugins then go to GF, everything works fine EXCEPT go to Reach Your Goal then go to GF and GF slows to a crawl. So much so that clicking on an existing workout, clicking copy then paste will give me an Not Responding warning in the title line at the top. It completes the operation but it's painfully slow. Then when I exit ST I get the same Not Responding message although the operation completes. I did just update to the latest ST release today.

I'll have to look into that too.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re: BUG: GF and ST crash

Postby PissedOffCil » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:13 pm

racerfern wrote:This is the second time I've come across this scenario. I did my usual stuff in ST, download a ride, fool around with various reports and plugins then set about to create a new workout in GF. Nothing happens, I can click buttons, click on existing workouts but that's all I can do. When I click on a workout it's as if I didn't click on it since I can't edit it. Anyways, I get the following error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Application.DoSetLogbook(Logbook logbook)

Quitting ST and starting over fixes everything and I can create workouts again. Strange. As far as I can tell this happened after the last update from GF but I can't be 100% sure.

I never had the crash but I've had the buttons not responding. I was able to hook the debugger and I simply never get any notification of the buttons being clicked. VERY WEIRD. It seems to happen after I modify something in a workout. Maybe the save to logbook puts everything else on hold...

Out of curiosity, how many workouts do you have in your logbook?
I'm thinking maybe this only happens with large amounts of data...
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 pm

I have only 14 workouts and planning on another dozen or so.

To recreate all I have to do is go to RYG then go to GF. Click a workout, click copy, then paste. It succeeds but takes a very long time to complete. If I do something else I get the error in short order.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:28 am

racerfern wrote:I have only 14 workouts and planning on another dozen or so.

To recreate all I have to do is go to RYG then go to GF. Click a workout, click copy, then paste. It succeeds but takes a very long time to complete. If I do something else I get the error in short order.

I'll give it another go with this scenario.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 am

I'm still unable to reproduce this crash but I did optimize the copy/paste speed a bit. The reason why it gets incredibly slow when starting RYG remains a mistery.

The search goes on.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:55 am

Of I was able to catch the slowdown problem and I'll sync with Vonni to get her to fix this problem that lies in RYG. Thep roblem is that when GF saves data to the logbook, RYG updates all it's data and charts even though it's not displayed and that slows down ST completely. In fact, the same problem occurs for any plugin and even the core but it's more visible in GF since I make extensive use of the logbook (save logbook on every modification).

In the mean time, I'll make some changes so GF doesn't make such extensive use of the logbook. This is now possible with ST3, wasn't for ST2 and I missed the change when converting.

It'll be in the next release, which I'm pushing back because of the integration with Trainnig analysis & RYG & Fit plan. Once I get a confirmation everything is fine on my side I'll publish the changes.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Garmin Fitness