Calculated Fields

by camel

Downloads: 23,682 (9) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 11, 2011

Calculated Fields plugin: Formulas pool

Postby camel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:51 am

Actually, I took that formula off of a book (The runner's edge), perhaps there would be some folks who would like to use it. Wink
But I agree on the general point: not all things that could be calculated should make it to your plugin, expecially for the programmer's sake. That's why I suggested: let people calculate them as a dummy field, and let them do that in the settings page so that they're not shown in the actual report. Smile
However mine was just an idea, I don't know how much could be difficult to realize in practice.

Don't take it personally I just don't want to imlement everything if it could be done in some way.

For now I see only your case where this dummy custom field will be needed.
So for now I don't see a real need to change something.

Of course after time if I will see more cases I can consider to implement something to help you.

Could you tell me a page or chapter in Runner's edge or book where this formula is described? I can implement this formula inside of plugin.

So you will just write:
{Decoupling}

And it will simply return result. And I will post private build to make you try it.

Nice day
peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Peak Average Ascending Speed

Postby rikicarra » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:30 am

camel wrote:
rikicarra wrote:Another interesting topic to discuss. Training with the bicycle a value used quite frequently is the Average Ascending Speed (in Italy we call it VAM), I calculate the VAM on many test uphills. By the way, in the Training Analisys plugin Ascending Speed (m/h) is the default graph in the Other Tracks tab, which I use commonly, I select a portion of a track and I see the average VAM of that portion looking at the small number appearing when you select a portion.
Now, what I would like to do is to find, in all my tracks, the portions with the peak VAM in, let's say, 30 sec or 60 sec or 500 sec. That gives me an indication of the max performance for that given time, I would like to define a custom field (VAM) that could be treated as any other value, then search the peak with a function like MAXPEAKVAM...

Hi,
I have added support for this, into latest version of plugin. (1.2.5.0)

So now you can write this:
{MAXPEAKTIME(ClimbSpeed,30)}
{MAXPEAKTIME(ClimbSpeed,60)}
{MAXPEAKTIME(ClimbSpeed,500)}

Please note that Range and Peak values are related to your smoothing settings in sporttracks.
So for example ClimbSpeed will be influenced by your Speed and Grade smoothing settings.

Peter, fantastic job, thank you!
I have now created few calculated fields, using the same time windows as the ones used in calculating Critical Power (CP). I have now VAM0.2, VAM1, VAM3, VAM6, VAM12, VAM20, VAM30 and VAM60. It took a while to calculate those values for my 420 activities loogbook (more than 3 hours!), but now I have what I wanted. I am very happy by the result, thank you.
I have noticed that the values related to VAM0.2 (0.2 min=12 sec) are in some cases highly overstimated, also in some instances for VAM1 (1 min=60 sec) and VAM3 (3 min=180 sec). I believe there is some influence of the ST smoothing, but maybe there is something more. I am investigating, looking at some examples, I will let you know my findings.
It would be interesting if other users would use the same expression and see what happens.
I would like to post a screenshot of my Calculated Field screen, but I don't know how to attach a file here...
rikicarra

Postby camel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:51 am

Peter, fantastic job, thank you!
I have now created few calculated fields, using the same time windows as the ones used in calculating Critical Power (CP). I have now VAM0.2, VAM1, VAM3, VAM6, VAM12, VAM20, VAM30 and VAM60. It took a while to calculate those values for my 420 activities loogbook (more than 3 hours!), but now I have what I wanted. I am very happy by the result, thank you.

I will do some optimization in future, I was not awaiting that someone will use peak feature so many times on one activity. It has potential to be perhaps 4times faster after I will implement optimizations in your example.

But now I was concentrating on stability of plugin and creating wide set of features.

Perhaps it's not so big problem you need to calculate it only once. After this long time you will just calculate it only on new activities...

But in future this is main thing to do, optimize all...

I have noticed that the values related to VAM0.2 (0.2 min=12 sec) are in some cases highly overstimated, also in some instances for VAM1 (1 min=60 sec) and VAM3 (3 min=180 sec). I believe there is some influence of the ST smoothing, but maybe there is something more. I am investigating, looking at some examples, I will let you know my findings.
It would be interesting if other users would use the same expression and see what happens.

DataTracks for peak feature have one second accuracy, so 12 seconds peak could be influenced by this. Could you just try to find this peak manually in chart. And calculate this value? In charts you see smoothed data so result may be very similar to what is calculated by plugin.
You have donated (thanks ;) ), so you have my email, so you can send me some example activities where you see potential inaccuracy, and I'll get a look at it. Formula will help too.

I would like to post a screenshot of my Calculated Field screen, but I don't know how to attach a file here...

I personally upload screenshots to
http://www.imageshack.com
It's very easy and fast, and you don't need to registrate there.
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Ruskie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:12 pm

camel wrote:
Don't take it personally I just don't want to imlement everything if it could be done in some way.

No no, of course not! My point was just that that was some... how can I say... some meaningful "running parameter" that one might want to use.
More in general I think these "local variables" (I use this term for lack of a better description) would be a neat addition to the overall power of your plugin. :)
Nothing I'll die without, however.

Of course after time if I will see more cases I can consider to implement something to help you.

Could you tell me a page or chapter in Runner's edge or book where this formula is described? I can implement this formula inside of plugin.

Yes the formula I'm talking about it's at page 99 in chapter 5 "Analyzing Data for Balanced Training". But to have a wider understanding of decoupling you might have to resort to earlier chapters, Joe Friel's "decoupling" is a term explained in chapter 1.
More in general, in chapter 5 there are several other values one could use to analyze its workout (namely Polar's Running Index) that would be great if included in calculated fields.
About your {Decoupling} idea two considerations:
1) Thank you really so much I will test the private build if you need me to and I'd be grateful of such an addition, but please feel free not to do that if you don't think it is worth the pain.
2) It has to be seen if this "Decoupling" is a specific term Friel invented and which general calculation method is therefore unique or there could be other interpretations of the same term; in the latter case, having a {Decoupling} preset value might be confusing to others.

Thanks
Ruskie

Postby camel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Ruskie wrote:
camel wrote:

No no, of course not! My point was just that that was some... how can I say... some meaningful "running parameter" that one might want to use.
More in general I think these "local variables" (I use this term for lack of a better description) would be a neat addition to the overall power of your plugin. :)

Yes the formula I'm talking about it's at page 99 in chapter 5 "Analyzing Data for Balanced Training". But to have a wider understanding of decoupling you might have to resort to earlier chapters, Joe Friel's "decoupling" is a term explained in chapter 1.
More in general, in chapter 5 there are several other values one could use to analyze its workout (namely Polar's Running Index) that would be great if included in calculated fields.
1) Thank you really so much I will test the private build if you need me to and I'd be grateful of such an addition, but please feel free not to do that if you don't think it is worth the pain.
2) It has to be seen if this "Decoupling" is a specific term Friel invented and which general calculation method is therefore unique or there could be other interpretations of the same term; in the latter case, having a {Decoupling} preset value might be confusing to others.

Thanks

Ok here formula for Decoupling ratio (you can pick it in drop drown menu under Formulas too):
{DECOUPLINGRATIO}

If you want to see result in percent (multiply it by 100):
{DECOUPLINGRATIO}*100

Here is how it's calculated:
firstHalfSpeedHRRatio = (halfDistance / firstHalfDistanceElapsed) / firstHalfDistanceHR
secondsHalfSpeedHRRatio = (halfDistance / secondHalfDistanceElapsed) / secondHalfDistanceHR

DECOUPLINGRATIO = ((firstHalfSpeedHRRatio - secondsHalfSpeedHRRatio) / firstHalfSpeedHRRatio)

You can download updated build from here (it will be published in standard way later):
http://calculatedfields.googlecode.com/files/CalculatedFields_1_2_5_1.st3plugin

P.S: I will be happy if you post description why it's important and for what it's used.
From what I have read, well trained endurance athletes may have this ratio below 5%. Hm I'm not well trained endurance athlete ;)

Enjoy
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Ruskie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:57 pm

camel wrote:
Ruskie wrote:
camel wrote:

Thanks

Ok here formula for Decoupling ratio (you can pick it in drop drown menu under Formulas too):
{DECOUPLINGRATIO}

If you want to see result in percent (multiply it by 100):
{DECOUPLINGRATIO}*100

Here is how it's calculated:
firstHalfSpeedHRRatio = (halfDistance / firstHalfDistanceElapsed) / firstHalfDistanceHR
secondsHalfSpeedHRRatio = (halfDistance / secondHalfDistanceElapsed) / secondHalfDistanceHR

DECOUPLINGRATIO = ((firstHalfSpeedHRRatio - secondsHalfSpeedHRRatio) / firstHalfSpeedHRRatio)

You can download updated build from here (it will be published in standard way later):
http://calculatedfields.googlecode.com/files/CalculatedFields_1_2_5_1.st3plugin

P.S: I will be happy if you post description why it's important and for what it's used.
From what I have read, well trained endurance athletes may have this ratio below 5%. Hm I'm not well trained endurance athlete ;)

Enjoy
Peter
Ruskie

Postby Ruskie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:16 pm

camel wrote:Ok here formula for Decoupling ratio (you can pick it in drop drown menu under Formulas too):
{DECOUPLINGRATIO}

Tested it, works perfectly thanks. I tried it also in short runs and as expected it gives not meaningful values (65%, 0,08% etc.)... With the condition {TIME}>=3600 it computes only for 1 hour and longer activities (in my case, long slow runs and soccer matches I referee) and it's values make perfectly sense. Thank you so much!

Lol, what I like the most about it is I get 2.78 or so in my activities. :D It boosts my self-confidence!
Seriously speaking, I only have a few data to look at, but I can confirm the decoupling gets lower as I get fitter, so it seems to be a valid parameter.
Ruskie

Postby camel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Tested it, works perfectly thanks. I tried it also in short runs and as expected it gives not meaningful values (65%, 0,08% etc.)... With the condition {TIME}>=3600 it computes only for 1 hour and longer activities (in my case, long slow runs and soccer matches I referee) and it's values make perfectly sense. Thank you so much!

One thing that could be a source of inaccuracy in this formula is that I have
many activities with pauses or with warmups and cooldowns. I will probably add two parameters for this formula in future version.

Include or no pauses and calculate it only for active parts or for whole activity.
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Ruskie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:53 pm

camel wrote:One thing that could be a source of inaccuracy in this formula is that I have
many activities with pauses or with warmups and cooldowns. I will probably add two parameters for this formula in future version.

Include or no pauses and calculate it only for active parts or for whole activity.

Well... yes and no. The formula appears to bear me accurate results also for soccer matches I referee, and there are many "pauses" there as well. Not that I stand perfectly still of course but that may resemble fartlek in a certain way, because I might walk some time, then run at an easy pace or then again sprinting to follow a fastbreak.
Probably however pauses and warmups might make an impact when they're not evenly distributed during the workout. In such cases like maybe you have it might be good to calculate decoupling on ranges. Actually, the same book also advices to calculate those ratios in split of 5 kilometers.

Regards
Ruskie

Postby camel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:40 pm

One thing that could be a source of inaccuracy in this formula is that I have

Here is new build, that don't calculate with pauses in DECOUPLINGRATIO formula.
And I have added new formula:
{DECOUPLINGRATIOACTIVE}
That calculate ratio only from active parts of activity.

And now I'm finally below 5% ratio ;)
I have always 5 6 minutes pause after warmup. And no pause before cooldown. (and few minutes of walking in cooldown) So this has influenced my calculations of ratio too much.

Now it's accurate.

Here is link to newest build:
http://calculatedfields.googlecode.com/files/CalculatedFields_1_2_5_2.st3plugin
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Formual for calculating the Split of a race

Postby Kuki » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Peter,

at thirst thanks, for your wunderfull plugin! I defined a lot of useful variables like the stride length and rollingsummes, and a lot of "nonsense useless” Variables, which nobody needs and understands except me :lol: . Your plugin offers a lot of new functions and is for me like a release change from ST3 to ST4 :D.

Perhaps I didn’t ’t find the idea, and I can use the actual version, but I can’t define a formula for calculating the negative or positive split of a race. It’s a well known useful indikator, which shows if you met the "man with the hammer" at the second half of the race. As example for a race time for 100 Minutes:

First Half: 50 Minutes / Second Half 50 Minutes ==> Split +-0,00 %
First Half: 48 Minutes / Second Half 52 Minutes ==> Split +2,00 %
First Half: 53 Minutes / Second Half 47 Minutes ==> Split -3,00 %
Formula= (Time_for_second_Half_of_Distanze - Time / 2 ) /Time*100

I didn’t have any a race with a negative split, the man with the hammer "likes" me, but this is another problem :?: . My problem is, that I can calculate the half of the time or the distance, but don’t know, how I can get the time that’s belong to the half of the distance. Perhaps you (or anybody other here) can give me the formula for this, or you can build in a function for calculating the negative/positive Split of an activity?

Thanks, Kuki from Kiel in Germany
Kuki
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Formual for calculating the Split of a race

Postby HENNES » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:31 am

Kuki wrote:I didn’t have any a race with a negative split,

You need to train a bit, Kuki :evil:

gruss hennes
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Ruskie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 am

camel wrote:

And now I'm finally below 5% ratio ;)
I have always 5 6 minutes pause after warmup. And no pause before cooldown. (and few minutes of walking in cooldown) So this has influenced my calculations of ratio too much.

That's the way!!! If a formula doesn't give you the performance result you'd like, tweak the formula!!! :D :D
Just kidding of course, great work, this makes the decoupling factor usable also with workouts where pauses in first half and in second half are unbalanced.
In general however, one should always compare long activities because for shorter activities the parameter is not so much meaningful.
Ruskie

Postby Kuki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 am

Hi Hennes,

HENNES wrote:
Kuki wrote:I didn’t have any a race with a negative split,

You need to train a bit, Kuki :evil:
Oh that is it :lol: . But i don’t have enough time for training, because I spent to much time playing with Sportracks :wink: .

(Thanks for your tip for the new plugin. I heard at first abot it in your thread in the german RW Forum)

Gruss Kuki
Kuki
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:24 am

Kuki wrote:Hi Peter,

at thirst thanks, for your wunderfull plugin! I defined a lot of useful variables like the stride length and rollingsummes, and a lot of "nonsense useless” Variables, which nobody needs and understands except me :lol: . Your plugin offers a lot of new functions and is for me like a release change from ST3 to ST4 :D.

Perhaps I didn’t ’t find the idea, and I can use the actual version, but I can’t define a formula for calculating the negative or positive split of a race. It’s a well known useful indikator, which shows if you met the "man with the hammer" at the second half of the race. As example for a race time for 100 Minutes:

First Half: 50 Minutes / Second Half 50 Minutes ==> Split +-0,00 %
First Half: 48 Minutes / Second Half 52 Minutes ==> Split +2,00 %
First Half: 53 Minutes / Second Half 47 Minutes ==> Split -3,00 %
Formula= (Time_for_second_Half_of_Distanze - Time / 2 ) /Time*100

I didn’t have any a race with a negative split, the man with the hammer "likes" me, but this is another problem :?: . My problem is, that I can calculate the half of the time or the distance, but don’t know, how I can get the time that’s belong to the half of the distance. Perhaps you (or anybody other here) can give me the formula for this, or you can build in a function for calculating the negative/positive Split of an activity?

Thanks, Kuki from Kiel in Germany

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. But I think that same thing is done with DECOUPLINGRATIO formula.

It's just a ratio between first half and second half, but HR is taken into calculation too. So probably it's just a little more sophisticated formula for same thing?

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Ruskie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 am

camel wrote:Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. But I think that same thing is done with DECOUPLINGRATIO formula.

It's just a ratio between first half and second half, but HR is taken into calculation too. So probably it's just a little more sophisticated formula for same thing?

Peter

Probably they measure the same kind of thing, but Decoupling is more pointed to fitness, while Kuki's is more aimed at performance. Let's view it this way: if I am "tired" either I slow down (maintaining the HR "the same") and increase the split between 1st and 2nd half... and this is measured by Kuki's parameter, or I struggle trying to maintain the pace at the expense of hr rising, and this is measured by decoupling ratio.
In training (long slow runs) where you normally keep a submaximal pace and you're able to sustain it (more or lesss) for the whole workout probably decoupling makes more sense. In races, where you are supposed to push the pedal to the metal and if you have no more you're forced to slow down, and where you're more interested in the performance side of the measure, Kuki's parameter may be more useful.
Certainly since decoupling uses speed to make calculations, it probably keeps partially track of Kuki's parameter too, but it does not express it with regard to performance.
Ruskie

Postby camel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 am

Ok so I will add similar formula like DECOUPLINGRATIO, that will take into account only time and distance. Like Kuki has described.

Do we have some meaningful name for this ratio? ;)

It will be added in next build probably today to make it simple for users.
There will be one formula for whole activity that will calculate with warmups and cooldowns. And then second formula that will calculate only with active parts of activity. (it could be created manualy by user too, but there will be need for one dummy custom field, so we can make it simpler)

Pauses will be not taken into calculations like in DECOUPLINGRATIO formula.

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Kuki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:59 am

camel wrote:Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. But I think that same thing is done with DECOUPLINGRATIO formula.

Peter

Hi Peter,

at first i thoght also that it is the same. But the diffirenz is, (if i understood ?), that the two halfs are builded by time and not by track.

{RANGESpeed(Elapsed,0,{Half Time})}
{RANGESpeed(Elapsed,{Half Time},{Time})}

The half time variable which is here used is not the time when i'm at the half of the track, it is the activiytime dividet by two.

I dont want to know, as example by a 4 hour Marathon, the relation of the first two hours and then the second two hours hours 3-4, but the relation between the first HM Distanze and the Second HM-Distanze. (Perhaps its mathmeatically the same?!)

Thanks Kuki
Last edited by Kuki on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuki
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:03 am

Kuki wrote:

Peter

Hi Peter,

at first i thoght also that it is the same. But the diffirenz is, (if i understood ?), that the two halfs are builded by time and not by track.

The half time variable which is here used is not the time when im at the half of the track, it is the activiytime dividet by two.

I dont want to know, as example by a 4 hour Marathon, the relation of the first two and then the hours 3-4, but the relation between the first HM Distanze and the Second HM-Distanze.

Thanks Kuki

No in decoupling ratio first half is first half of distance not time.

This was my first idea, but after reading chapter of book where decoupling ratio was described. I have calculated it differently.

Here is how it's calculated (note that we use halfDistance as main thing):

Nice day
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Kuki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 am

Hi Peter

camel wrote:...
No in decoupling ratio first half is first half of distance not time.
This was my first idea, but after reading chapter of book where decoupling ratio was described. I have calculated it differently.

Sorry i didn't notice, that you changed the definition. Thats perfekt :) .
A new function without the HR, would be fine.

Thanks; Kuki
Kuki
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:20 am

Hi,
you can just update to latest build from sporttracks.

And I have added there HALFSPEEDRATIO and HALFSPEEDRATIOACTIVE formula.

HALFSPEEDRATIO is done in this way:

firstHalfSpeedRatio = halfDistance / firstHalfDistanceElapsed
secondHalfSpeedRatio = halfDistance / secondHalfDistanceElapsed

HalfSpeedRatio = (firstHalfSpeedRatio - secondHalfSpeedRatio) / firstHalfSpeedRatio

HALFSPEEDRATIOACTIVE formula is calculated in same way, but it takes only active parts of activity to calculation.

Formulas are in drop down menu under Formulas submenu.

Enjoy
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:34 am

Can someone please STOP camel - Im spending 24hours/day with his toy :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

@kucki, Du hast ne PM
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mazoaguirre » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:42 am

i am trainig last week, so i miss a lot, this plugin requieres that camel sit to write help or manual,

camel thanks for such a helpfull plugin, i am a statics maniac, or at least i thought

:lol:
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby Kuki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Peter

Wov; thanks for the quick new release :) with the new Funtion. I have a Question. I Tetsted it, and cant reproduce the Ratio. Look please at:

Yeasterday i jogged 15,55 KMs. To test the funktion i copied the activity by ST, and dividet it by ST in two 7,77 KM halfs. So i could see the time for the first Half 45:18 and the second 46:38. I Defined a splitvariable with 100 * the HalfsepeedhalfactiveRatio function, and i got 3,12 % as a postive split. I think it is to much, i thought i have to get (1:31:58/2 - 46:38 ) / 1:31:58 = 0,00716 which is only 0,7% ? Perhaps my Definition is wrong, and you find a better one, for the Split. Can you please write, how you calculate the 3,12 % Split for this example.

Nice Greetings; Kuki
Kuki
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 am

Kuki wrote:Hi Peter

Wov; thanks for the quick new release :) with the new Funtion. I have a Question. I Tetsted it, and cant reproduce the Ratio. Look please at:

Yeasterday i jogged 15,55 KMs. To test the funktion i copied the activity by ST, and dividet it by ST in two 7,77 KM halfs. So i could see the time for the first Half 45:18 and the second 46:38. I Defined a splitvariable with 100 * the HalfsepeedhalfactiveRatio function, and i got 3,12 % as a postive split. I think it is to much, i thought i have to get (1:31:58/2 - 46:38 ) / 1:31:58 = 0,00716 which is only 0,7% ? Perhaps my Definition is wrong, and you find a better one, for the Split. Can you please write, how you calculate the 3,12 % Split for this example.

Nice Greetings; Kuki

headcount:
PACE: 5:50 compared to 6:00 pace

6:00 > 360 secs, 5:50 > 10 secs less, so ~3,X% sounds reasonable to me - no need for scientific plugins :lol:
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Calculated Fields