Calculated Fields

by camel

Downloads: 23,641 (9) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 11, 2011

Calculated Fields plugin: Formulas pool

Postby camel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:01 am

mazoaguirre wrote:i am lost, trying to figureout with a formula to calculate de max elevation gain in 300 mts distnace

i try with {MAXPEAKDISTANCE(ASCENDING,300)}

but getting 0

i creates a field wih type number and summarize as sum

Hi,
you can't use Ascending in this formula. See tutorial:
http://code.google.com/p/calculatedfields/wiki/Tutorial6
It's not in the list mentioned in tutorial.

And you can calculate it for example from grade:
{MAXPEAKDISTANCE(GRADE,300)}*300
You fill find biggest grade on 300 meters. And than multiply it by that distance.

Peter
Last edited by camel on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mazoaguirre » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 am

thanks peter works fine :oops:
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby camel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:33 am

Hi,
is someone still using DataTrack feature?

It was added only with experimental support. And I want to deprecate it in newest build.
So will someone have a problem with that?
I think that most of things could be done with new formulas like Peak and Range without use of DataTrack feature.

If you don't know what I'm talking about than it's good ;)

I want to remove it because it's damn slow and not very usable when compiled in dynamic way. It's still powerfull tool, in fact I'm implementing all new powerful formulas with DataTrack feature. But only inside of plugin.

Thanks
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:03 pm

New build is published (1.2.6.0)

ChangeLog:
Fixed crash when result is no activity in condition on activity and lastxdays function
DataTrack feature is now deprecated (I think that you can do same things with Peak and Range formulas)
Added activehalftime and activehalfdistance field.
Fixed handling of new line character etc in notes.
Added Count formula in aggregate operations (work similar like Sum formula, but return activities count)
Minor bugfixes

Enjoy
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:00 am

camel wrote:New build is published (1.2.6.0)

ChangeLog:
Fixed crash when result is no activity in condition on activity and lastxdays function
DataTrack feature is now deprecated (I think that you can do same things with Peak and Range formulas)
Added activehalftime and activehalfdistance field.
Fixed handling of new line character etc in notes.
Added Count formula in aggregate operations (work similar like Sum formula, but return activities count)
Minor bugfixes

Enjoy
Peter

Very good, Im using it to check my notes field for certain entries.

Here Im looking for the string: "ULLI"

THANKS
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Split Times

Postby camel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:00 pm

GaryS wrote:Here's a new formula useful perhaps for distance runners that tend to do out-and-back courses on relatively even terrain. It calculates split times based on distance. I use it to calculate my pace for the first split (1st half of the run), and then for the second split (the return).

First, you need to calculate HalfDistance. Create this field in custom fields, and move it to the top of the list so it will calculate first. The formula is: {DISTANCE} / 2 (Note: camel will soon add this field to the plugin, so this step will be unnecessary)

Then, create Pace - First Half in custom fields. The formula to be used for this field is:

{RangeElapsed(Distance,0,{HalfDistance})} / {HalfDistance} * 1609 (this will give you your pace in min/mile).

For your second half (split) pace, use this formula:

{RangeElapsed(Distance,{HalfDistance},{Distance})} / {HalfDistance} * 1609

Note that this gives you pace for 1/2 the distance, not 1/2 the time as some other formulas calculate.

It doesn't matter how far you run. You'll always get the pace for the first half and the pace for the second half of the course.

In cases when you need dummy custom fields. For example if you want to calculate this thing for QuarterDistance, you can now use just added new concept of Virtual expressions.

So you will first go to Virtual expressions tab.
Here you will create new row:
Virtual Field:QuarterDistance
Expression:{DISTANCE}/4

And than you can use this field as normal field in your calculations:
{RangeElapsed(Distance,0,{QuarterDistance})} / {QuarterDistance} * 1609

This field QuarterDistance will be calculated for given activity, but it will be not written on activity custom field. It's only virtual field for usage in formulas.

Probably you get that idea. I'll add a tutorial for this concept later.
Please use it only if you feel need of creating dummy custom field calculation.

Most of users just don't need to understand it. This concept is needed only for advanced calculations. But it enables some powerfull things that were too difficult before.

Just update to latest build to use this feature.

Enjoy
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Is it possible to find a split that has a certain criteria? I'd like a "generic" decoupling factor column (discussed last week). So I'd liek to be ableto use the split notes to markup the splits to use in decoupling. The 1st "half" would have a note equal to "First segment", the second lap to use woudl have a note "Second segment" and using those 2 laps, I'd like the decouplnig factor.

Right now, we can only reference splits by ID so unless I setup a custom field for every possible lap that could be the 1st or second segment it's very complicated.

I'd like to have a "FIND lap WHERE lap.Notes EQUALS 'First segment'" and then I could use lap.AvgHR, lap.AvgPower, etc.

I think this is the biggest "problem" I encounter with the plugin, you need to know what you are dealing with, you can't query the data.
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:46 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:Is it possible to find a split that has a certain criteria? I'd like a "generic" decoupling factor column (discussed last week). So I'd liek to be ableto use the split notes to markup the splits to use in decoupling. The 1st "half" would have a note equal to "First segment", the second lap to use woudl have a note "Second segment" and using those 2 laps, I'd like the decouplnig factor.

Right now, we can only reference splits by ID so unless I setup a custom field for every possible lap that could be the 1st or second segment it's very complicated.

I'd like to have a "FIND lap WHERE lap.Notes EQUALS 'First segment'" and then I could use lap.AvgHR, lap.AvgPower, etc.

I think this is the biggest "problem" I encounter with the plugin, you need to know what you are dealing with, you can't query the data.

Querying of data was added with DataTrack feature in past. But at first there were some problems with dynamic interpretation of too much data.
So it was damn slow when dynamic compiled.

And second problem was that not everyone user is developer, so DataTrack feature was not used in fact or understanded by major cound of users. As a substition I have added Range and Peak features that are easier to use for standard users.

But back from background to topic.

I think that your request could be just simply fullfilled just with addition of new find syntax for splits. (not only by split number, but by note too)

So I will add in future version this feature:
{SPLITAVGPACE(First)}
And this formula will just return avg pace for split that contains first in notes.

Or

{SPLITAVGHR(First Segment)}

etc.

All other things that are not related to splits could be easily done with Range and Peak feature and if not just tell me.

Nice day
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:02 pm

That would be a great feature, for now. I feel the mroe users you will have, the more you will need to extend the plugin if you never give some more advanced features.

I'm unfamiliar with LINQ so maybe I'm asking for too much. I completely understand what I'm doing is out of most people's comprehension. I'm a programmer and think like one and you give a tool that leads to wanting to access the data directly.

My point is, what will you do when someone want to find the longest split in an activity? The split with highest AVG hr? The number of rest splits in an activity? etc. Without loops or a method to browse the data these are all impossible.

Don't take this as a complaint, I just think there is a place for such features and it happens to be that your plugin is the best suited to add these features. Maybe for version 2???

:)

For my specific problem : Is it possible to add a SPLITEXIST that can be used in conditions. Something like SPLITEXIST(First segment)
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:22 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:That would be a great feature, for now. I feel the mroe users you will have, the more you will need to extend the plugin if you never give some more advanced features.

I'm unfamiliar with LINQ so maybe I'm asking for too much. I completely understand what I'm doing is out of most people's comprehension. I'm a programmer and think like one and you give a tool that leads to wanting to access the data directly.

My point is, what will you do when someone want to find the longest split in an activity? The split with highest AVG hr? The number of rest splits in an activity? etc. Without loops or a method to browse the data these are all impossible.

Don't take this as a complaint, I just think there is a place for such features and it happens to be that your plugin is the best suited to add these features. Maybe for version 2???

:)

For my specific problem : Is it possible to add a SPLITEXIST that can be used in conditions. Something like SPLITEXIST(First segment)

Yes I know what you are trying to tell. And I'm big fan of these features.

But for know I was trying to implement features for "normal" users. I will try to get back with DataTrack feature and it's LINQ syntax. Because with it, all what you have written can be easily done, if you know LINQ syntax.
Only thing missing is just adding new properties about splits data into DataTrack (now there are all datatracks and informations about pauses)
And that's question of few minutes to add them there.

I have deprecated it for now, because it was not usable. Implementation was too slow with dynamic compiling. But I'll try to find better way how to implement it it and probably it will find a way back into plugin in future.

But it is not a big problem, for major count of users DataTrack feature will be not simply enough to use...
Only problem I see is that you want to do calculations for exact splits, all of this is enabled for whole activity. But yes I'm aware of this problem.

P.S.:
DataTrack feature is living nicely inside of plugin, all advanced formulas are in fact implemented by using this feature. So it will probably find a path back to public in future.

Do you really need SPLITEXIST function? If that split will be not there, just nothing will be calculated. So you can easily create two calculations for same custom field for enabling behaviour you want or no?

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:19 pm

camel wrote:Do you really need SPLITEXIST function? If that split will be not there, just nothing will be calculated. So you can easily create two calculations for same custom field for enabling behaviour you want or no?

Peter

I'm afraid of dividing by 0... SPLITAVGPOWER(First segment) / SPLITAVGHR(First segment) if "First segment" doesn't exist???

Maybe you handle this nicely, I was just afraid of the result.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:21 am

PissedOffCil wrote:
camel wrote:Do you really need SPLITEXIST function? If that split will be not there, just nothing will be calculated. So you can easily create two calculations for same custom field for enabling behaviour you want or no?

Peter

I'm afraid of dividing by 0... SPLITAVGPOWER(First segment) / SPLITAVGHR(First segment) if "First segment" doesn't exist???

Maybe you handle this nicely, I was just afraid of the result.

This will be not a problem. And if yes than it's a bug ;)

Main rule of plugin is, that if formulas contains some field which value cannot be retrieved, than don't calculate whole formula because it will be wrong.
So if someone see breaking of this rule somewhere, please tell me and I will fix it.

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:00 am

Fine.

I added another field that I find interesting, it's active pedaling time. I find this better represent the efforts since it takes out descents and coasting. When using this fieldI find that an indoors session of 1H30 feels a lot like a 1H30 active pedaling time outdoors session.

But your plugin gives me invalid values, I get active pedaling time higher than activity time. You can see that in the underlined example below. you can also see the calculated value by my Filtered Stats plugin. Other similar activities can be seen with the same problem.

Example : http://www.box.net/shared/f20nhbjzjc
Activity : http://www.box.net/shared/f2qx4tc0kv
Formula : {RANGEELAPSED(Cadence,40,200)}

P.S. In Filtered statistics, if I remove the "PP" filter I get active pedaling time of 1:48:32 for the activity. Filter "PP" merges sections close enough to be irrelevant. Your result should be close to that in theory.

Thanks.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:14 am

PissedOffCil wrote:Fine.

I added another field that I find interesting, it's active pedaling time. I find this better represent the efforts since it takes out descents and coasting. When using this fieldI find that an indoors session of 1H30 feels a lot like a 1H30 active pedaling time outdoors session.

But your plugin gives me invalid values, I get active pedaling time higher than activity time. You can see that in the underlined example below. you can also see the calculated value by my Filtered Stats plugin. Other similar activities can be seen with the same problem.

P.S. In Filtered statistics, if I remove the "PP" filter I get active pedaling time of 1:48:32 for the activity. Filter "PP" merges sections close enough to be irrelevant. Your result should be close to that in theory.

Thanks.

Hi,
now I have connection that doesn't allows to see images that you have posted. But if possible send me to email that example activity with cadence track. And I'll look at it later tonight. For me it's curious because from philosophy of calculation it cannot grow ;)

So probably it will be some problem with pauses handling or stopped time, we will see.
I have sent you a pm with my email address.

P.S:
I have found much faster implementation of DataTrack feature from our discussion before. So it will be added with splits handling too in newest build, perhaps in day or two.

So crazy things would be enabled through this feature.

Main problem is that you are validating results, that's not fair... ;)

Thanks
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:Fine.

Thanks.

Hi,
I have tried to do that calculation on your activity. And if I disable stopped by speed. I have total time 1:49:56 and result of calculation is 1:48:55

WIth stopped set to 1:30:00 min/km I see stopped time of 1:04.

So with my settings correct result will be 1:48:51 of calculation. But plugin is now not incorrectly ignoring stopped time by speed. So I think that this is source of this inaccuracy. So it's bigger by stopped time and because of this it's bigger than time without stopped time.

And with my smoothing settings all values from activity are withing range of 40-200 cadence.

Could you confirm this calculation with your stopped time? I don't know exactly what your settings are. So I need to check it by you.

Of course this behaviour of ignoring stopped time will be changed if possible in next version.

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:Is it possible to find a split that has a certain criteria? I'd like a "generic" decoupling factor column (discussed last week). So I'd liek to be ableto use the split notes to markup the splits to use in decoupling. The 1st "half" would have a note equal to "First segment", the second lap to use woudl have a note "Second segment" and using those 2 laps, I'd like the decouplnig factor.

All of this will be supported by renewed DataTrack feature.

For example do you want to get average HR of lap where notes = "First segment"
This will be formula for this:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapNote == "First segment").Average(o => o.HR)
Or same but average power:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapNote == "First segment").Average(o => o.Power)

Or you want to see time of this lap:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapNote == "First segment").Count()

Or I want to see average HR of active laps:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapActive)).Average(o => o.HR)

If you will use grouping you can find fastest lap etc just everything you want, if you know LINQ and lambdas.

It will be published after fixing of error with stopped parts of activity.
And it's now lightning faster than before. Translate as very usable ;)

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm not sure I'm with you there but I'll try.

It's possible that all cadence is over 40 with your smoothing, the session was on the trainer so pretty much always pedaling. I might have "stopped" a couple of seconds here and there to shift up front during my warmup.

I can report with exact numbers when I get back home.

camel wrote:Hi,
I have tried to do that calculation on your activity. And if I disable stopped by speed. I have total time 1:49:56 and result of calculation is 1:48:55

WIth stopped set to 1:30:00 min/km I see stopped time of 1:04.

So with my settings correct result will be 1:48:51 of calculation. But plugin is now not incorrectly ignoring stopped time by speed. So I think that this is source of this inaccuracy. So it's bigger by stopped time and because of this it's bigger than time without stopped time.

And with my smoothing settings all values from activity are withing range of 40-200 cadence.

Could you confirm this calculation with your stopped time? I don't know exactly what your settings are. So I need to check it by you.

Of course this behaviour of ignoring stopped time will be changed if possible in next version.

Peter
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Amazing. That way I can easily get decoupling factors by adding 2 simple notes between interesting splits!!! A way to recompute for only 1 activity would be useful but I can deal without.

Is that an error or does Count() really gives you time?

Care to elaborate a bit on what exactly the object we retrieve is?

Thanks a lot for this massive feature!

camel wrote:All of this will be supported by renewed DataTrack feature.

For example do you want to get average HR of lap where notes = "First segment"
This will be formula for this:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapNote == "First segment").Average(o => o.HR)
Or same but average power:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapNote == "First segment").Average(o => o.Power)

Or you want to see time of this lap:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapNote == "First segment").Count()

Or I want to see average HR of active laps:
{DATATRACK}.Where(o => o.LapActive)).Average(o => o.HR)

If you will use grouping you can find fastest lap etc just everything you want, if you know LINQ and lambdas.

It will be published after fixing of error with stopped parts of activity.
And it's now lightning faster than before. Translate as very usable ;)

Peter
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Is that an error or does Count() really gives you time?

Care to elaborate a bit on what exactly the object we retrieve is?

It's very simple.

DATATRACK is just an list of DataTrackPoint objects
Each DataTrackPoint has these properties:
Distance
HR
Pace
Speed
Elevation
Grade
Cadence
Power
Elapsed
ClimbSpeed
Pause
LapNumber
LapNote
LapActive

And I create one point for each second of activity, and all values of point are interpolated on that second.

So it's very easy to calculate averages max etc. Because you don't need to calculate weighted averages. You have a point for every second, so everything is linear and easy to calculate...
(Only weakness is that we are missing decimal places of seconds. But who cares me no ;)
It could be changed easily to 100miliseconds for example, but calculations will than be harder. Because you will need to do conversion all the time.)

And this means that if you get count of points you will get in fact number of seconds...

So if you for example filter only points that have heart rate > 150.
You can than easily calculate count of points and get time when your heart rate was bigger than 150.

And sometimes is flexible to have only points with no pauses included and elapsed time is shifted with pauses value.
And this is in fact:
{DATATRACK}

And if you want to have points that are pauses too, than use:
{DATATRACKWITHPAUSES}
In some cases this is useful.

If you need to know more just ask.

P.S:

A way to recompute for only 1 activity would be useful but I can deal without.

Could you please explain me this? I don't understand what do you think with it.

Thanks
Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Good explanation, thanks!

camel wrote:Could you please explain me this? I don't understand what do you think with it.

Well, for activities I want a decoupling factor (using the split notes technique) I'll import the activity, then edit the split notes and then would like to recompute calc. fields for only this activity. I can recompute all activites but it's long when I only want to update the latest activity.
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:58 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:Good explanation, thanks!

camel wrote:Could you please explain me this? I don't understand what do you think with it.

Well, for activities I want a decoupling factor (using the split notes technique) I'll import the activity, then edit the split notes and then would like to recompute calc. fields for only this activity. I can recompute all activites but it's long when I only want to update the latest activity.

You have probably not found Edit -> Calculated Fields actions on activity or in activity reports. And probably not read basic tutorial ;)
With this you can easily select only one activity or few ones.

Or create report in activity reports and select all activities from that report and calculate values only for them etc.

In fact calculations in settings page was planned only as a minor action for some users. Because you have there ability to exactly select only few calculations and do only these calculations.

With calculation on activity all active calculations will be done.

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:23 pm

camel wrote:You have probably not found Edit -> Calculated Fields actions on activity or in activity reports. And probably not read basic tutorial ;)

:lol:
:oops:

I admit not "reading" the tutorials. I did peak through them quickly though.

Guilty all the way!
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ksherman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 pm

I am just starting to play with this plugin. It is SO big and raises so many possibilities. My first calc is TRIMP per Hour as a measure of intensity. Very interesting numbers between running vs cycling. However the painful piece is the number of steps required to get the number populated. First I import an activity, then I need to go to the Training Load view to force a calculation of Trimp, then I return to the activity and have to manually calculate the field.
Is there a way to calculate the Trimp value in a formula. Is time per HR zone accessible, and the TRIMP multipliers?

Thanks
Also I tried the VO2 Est - I think I'm dead, 4.6 & 10.6?
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby camel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 am

I am just starting to play with this plugin. It is SO big and raises so many possibilities. My first calc is TRIMP per Hour as a measure of intensity. Very interesting numbers between running vs cycling. However the painful piece is the number of steps required to get the number populated. First I import an activity, then I need to go to the Training Load view to force a calculation of Trimp, then I return to the activity and have to manually calculate the field.
Is there a way to calculate the Trimp value in a formula.

Code: Select all
Is time per HR zone accessible, and the TRIMP multipliers?

time per HR zone is accesible through Range feature or DataTrack feature.
TRIMP multipliers are not accesible, of course you can define them manualy as number, but there will be possible danger of inconsistence between training load and this plugin.

For this integration with training load or TRIMP plugin will be needed.

And HR zones ranges are not accesible for now in plugin (so you will need now manually write numbers of ranges)
But this could be easily added in some next version.

So yes and no of it could be calculated only problems is inconsistency.
And it's big work for small plus.

Also I tried the VO2 Est - I think I'm dead, 4.6 & 10.6?

I have just written formula that one user has found, you can check it easily.
Can you compare result from performance predictor plugin? Is it saying that you are dead too? ;)
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby TX911 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Any way to get Avg HR and Avg Pace for all of workout EXCLUDING recovery portion?
TX911
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Calculated Fields