by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

Backup plugin should backup Calculated Fields preferences.xm

Backup plugin should backup Calculated Fields preferences.xm

Postby rikicarra » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:38 pm

I have investigated a bit more the issue, I found out that your Backup plugin (BTW I like it very much) correctly backs up preferences.xml of almost all my plugins. For example, here a small excerpt of the log:
%SportTracksExportToCsvPluginData% ("C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Roaming\SportTracksExportToCsvPlugin", 1 File(s)):
adding C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Roaming\SportTracksExportToCsvPlugin\ExportToCsvProfiles.xml...
%TRIMPPluginData% ("C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Roaming\TRIMPPlugin", 1 File(s)):
adding C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Roaming\TRIMPPlugin\preferences.xml...
Obviously "Piane" is my user name.

But the plugin it is not backing up the preferences.xml file of my Calculatd Fields plugin, which is structured and positioned exactly the same as the other plugins. In fact the file is located at:
C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Roaming\CalculatedFieldsPlugin\preferences.xml

Would you be so kind to check what happens and hopefully include backing up Calculated Fields plugin in the next release of your plugin, thank you.

Riccardo
rikicarra

Re: Backup plugin should backup Calculated Fields preference

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:43 am

Yes, will do this. I didn't know that the plugin doesn't use the standard ST mechanism for preferences.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby rikicarra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:53 am

old_man_biking wrote:Yes, will do this. I didn't know that the plugin doesn't use the standard ST mechanism for preferences.

Cheers,
OMB

Thank you, greatly appreciated.

Riccardo
rikicarra

Postby DavidCHall » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:52 am

rikicarra wrote:%TRIMPPluginData% ("C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Roaming\TRIMPPlugin", 1 File(s)):
adding C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Roaming\TRIMPPlugin\preferences.xml...

I note that in all cases my system uses: "C:\Users\Piane\AppData\Local\TRIMPPlugin" Not Roaming.

Not sure what determines if Local vs Roaming is used.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:11 am

This depends upon the way the plugin author selects the path where the plugin stores user specific files.
There are two different system constants:
- System.Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData (which is the "Roaming" variant) and
- System.Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData (which is the "Local" variant)

With ST3 there's an ST API property ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.Fitness.IApplicationConfigurationInfo.UserPluginsDataFolder
and plugins should use this to determine the path where to store user specific files.

Afaik, this returns the "Local" path.
So the Trimp plugin's path seems to be specific and doesn't follow the scheme suggested by ST.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:27 am

Regarding TRIMPplugin and other GPS-Running plugins: In Kristian Bisgaard Lassens versions, the preferences are stored in separate files, using subdirectories to "Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData". So in ST2 Backup up until a year ago, a separate backup was required.

In all releases for all plugins I have been involved in, System.Preferences is used. For Trimp and GPS-Running, there has been releases since February or so. However, the ST2 plugin catalog is not updated (I did not have access to ST2 until this summer, when ST3 was released).

So remove backup for all GPS-Running plugins, as well as Matrix and Trails for Backup for ST3.

For TRIMPplugin: This plugin is depreciated. It is not officially released in the ST3 backup catalog (if you know the URL). There was an update in December, but I do not plan to update any more builds. Use TrainingLoad instead.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 am

old_man_biking wrote:Yes, will do this. I didn't know that the plugin doesn't use the standard ST mechanism for preferences.

Cheers,
OMB

Dear OMB,

I started to actively use Calculated Fields plugin, which is a dangerous tool both in my hand :-) and at all due to automatic calculation of many many things at one click.

I realized that the latest version of Backup plugin does NOt save the preferences.xml of CF.

Have you really added it and it was just accidently removed or it never happened, so more patience is needed?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:58 am

Ah, good to have someone with a better memory than mine :)
Will add that to the next version.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 am

old_man_biking wrote:Ah, good to have someone with a better memory than mine :)
Will add that to the next version.

Dont forget that there are always new users, so I have no better memory than you, just a search tool on this forum to find promises made by others. :wink:
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Return to Backup