by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,496 (10) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Apr 28, 2018

New plugin "Backup Plugin"

Re: New plugin "Backup Plugin"

Postby speedlever » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:26 am

Ah, I think I have a better idea of how it works now. I've been using the data files default folder to sync between the two computers. But the program settings don't come across. I have to make sure both computers have the same settings.

Reading through the manual, it talks about the logbook files and the settings file. But the only files I see in the window to backup are the various logbook files. Is the settings file automatically backed up with this plug-in? This sentence from the Restore portion of the manual makes it sound optional:
"When the backup file contains the current logbook and/or the SportTracks settings file, the plugin will have to shut down SportTracks when the restore is complete."

And yet this quote indicates that settings are always a part of the backup:
"Note: Contrary to the note above, the current SportTracks settings will be part of the backup."
-speedy
speedlever
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 am

Yes, the ST settings file is backed up.
Due to some mechanisms in ST (the settings file is saved AFTER the automatic backup creation), the backup of the settings file might represent a slightly outdated state - the one when you previously closed ST.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby speedlever » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Understood about the settings being different if changed during the session just saved.

If I restore the backup file to another PC with different settings, I'll end up with the settings as saved from the backup file.

And I guess that's the main difference in your plug-in vs the settings/data file backup... your plug-in saves the program settings too... but requires a restore in order to bring the latest data and settings to another instance of ST3. The Settings/data file backup strictly saves the logbook(s) only. Is that correct?

And if I do a restore, what does the backup plug-in do? Combine the last full and the last differential all in one step? I believe the larger diff backups in the pic below came after I got the weather plug-in operational and uploaded the weather from some recent rides.

I had more full backups from playing around and deleted the earlier (extra) ones:

Edit: is there any reason to keep the last 2 weeks of backups? I like the option of keeping the last 2 full/diff backups vs the last 2 weeks of backups. That could get pretty storage intensive if you have daily recordable events... or if you play too much with the backup. ;)
-speedy
speedlever
Donated!
Donated!

Postby speedlever » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:44 am

After getting the weather for 3 historical events, the diff backup went from 2 kb to 10 kb. I got the weather for 8 additional events and the diff backup jumped to 4898 kb. That strikes me as rather odd. What could cause that difference to be so large? Should I expect further diff backups to be this large?

-speedy
speedlever
Donated!
Donated!

Postby speedlever » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 pm

After a ride last night, the diff backup is very large again. I don't think this looks right. What do you think, OMB?

-speedy
speedlever
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:29 am

The backup files are in fact ZIP files. Please open them as such and try to find a conclusion yourself.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby speedlever » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:56 am

I can open them up, but don't see anything that makes any sense to me as to why I would get such a large diff backup. If I just open up ST3, change nothing, then shut it down, I get another large diff backup of the same size as the prior diff backup. I don't know what could be changing causing the large differential. After last night's ride, the diff backup grew to 4933 KB. When I cranked up ST3 this morning and then shut it right down with no changes, it cranked out another 4933 KB diff backup. What should I be looking for in the zip file data?

Just as an example, the last 6 lines of the backup protocol.txt file are the same in last night's and this morning's diff backup. Could it be the weather plug-in that's causing some change creating the large diff backup?

Looking in the backup protocol.txt file, I only see 3 lines that show adding (other than the last 6 lines posted above):

If I just open ST3, look at the data, change nothing and then close it out, why would I get any diff backup at all, let alone such a large one?

Edit: I note in the plug-in settings, there's an option to backup additional files. The additional files offered are the different user logbooks (two, in my case). By checking them, am I duplicating the logbook backup?

If I check "automatically create backup when SportTrack is closed", will it force a diff backup regardless if there are changes or not?

Maybe this is just a problem with my settings?
-speedy
speedlever
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I am getting familiar with the plugin. I bought it several weeks ago, so I have a short history. Today I found out that the plugin did not automatically delete the old backups. I focused only on the differential ones. The setting of the automatic deletion of differential backups is 1 week(s), and of course it is clicked in.

1) What can be the reason of forgetting the old differential backups. I had as many as 15-20 before manually deleting them.

2) And what is the algorithm if the last full backup was made 2 weeks ago? In this case are the differential ones being older than 1 week deleted even if they are younger than the last full backup? And paralelly a new full backup is created just not to forget any changes since the last backup? Or are these differential backups are kept?
Note: right now it is not the case, because I manually created some full backups on a regular basis, I just wish to know the logics behind?

I am a bit in darkness even having read the manual

3) BTW manual: in the screenshot of the manual it is written that "...less verbose...", while in the current version of the plugin it is "...more verbose...". So which one is the correct one?

So far for today. ;-)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:58 pm

After more weeks of using the Backup plugin, I still do confirm that there is no automatic deletion of the old backups by the plugin.

I did not get any response to my three items. Would somebody be so kind as to help me with them?

Thanks,

TAV
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Can anyone confirm this observation?
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:01 am

Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:I am getting familiar with the plugin. I bought it several weeks ago, so I have a short history. Today I found out that the plugin did not automatically delete the old backups. I focused only on the differential ones. The setting of the automatic deletion of differential backups is 1 week(s), and of course it is clicked in.

1) What can be the reason of forgetting the old differential backups. I had as many as 15-20 before manually deleting them.

2) And what is the algorithm if the last full backup was made 2 weeks ago? In this case are the differential ones being older than 1 week deleted even if they are younger than the last full backup? And paralelly a new full backup is created just not to forget any changes since the last backup? Or are these differential backups are kept?
Note: right now it is not the case, because I manually created some full backups on a regular basis, I just wish to know the logics behind?

3) BTW manual: in the screenshot of the manual it is written that "...less verbose...", while in the current version of the plugin it is "...more verbose...". So which one is the correct one?

So far for today. ;-)

Re 1) I've checked the code and re-tested and cannot reproduce that. The older backup files should be deleted IF THEY ARE NOT WRITE PROTECTED!
Re 2) I'm not sure if I understand.
Re 3) "... more ..." - I've changed the web site.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:33 am

old_man_biking wrote:
Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:I am getting familiar with the plugin. I bought it several weeks ago, so I have a short history. Today I found out that the plugin did not automatically delete the old backups. I focused only on the differential ones. The setting of the automatic deletion of differential backups is 1 week(s), and of course it is clicked in.

So far for today. ;-)

Re 1) I've checked the code and re-tested and cannot reproduce that. The older backup files should be deleted IF THEY ARE NOT WRITE PROTECTED!
Re 2) I'm not sure if I understand.
Re 3) "... more ..." - I've changed the web site.

Cheers,
OMB

1. I'll check the files, but I have no idea how they could be write protected without my intervention.

2. My question was about the logics of deleting the differential backups. If the setting is '1 week' in case of diff'erential ones does the automatism delete those differential backups which are older than 1 week even if they are linked to the last full backup?

In the meantime I spent more time with judging the deleting mechanism of the full backups, and alas the same phenomenon. Eg. I still have the full backup created on 8th of August, although I have more full backups than the limit set in the plugin.

3. Well done :-)

+1 An idea. Should the deletion mechanism of the plugin work in the same way in case of both automatic (when closing ST3) and manual (directly from the menu) backuping?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:10 am

Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:...

1. I'll check the files, but I have no idea how they could be write protected without my intervention.

2. My question was about the logics of deleting the differential backups. If the setting is '1 week' in case of diff'erential ones does the automatism delete those differential backups which are older than 1 week even if they are linked to the last full backup?

In the meantime I spent more time with judging the deleting mechanism of the full backups, and alas the same phenomenon. Eg. I still have the full backup created on 8th of August, although I have more full backups than the limit set in the plugin.

3. Well done :-)

+1 An idea. Should the deletion mechanism of the plugin work in the same way in case of both automatic (when closing ST3) and manual (directly from the menu) backuping?

Re 2: Yes, it does. These are DIFFERENTIAL backups not INCREMENTAL ones.
Differential = you need the basic FULL backup and the one differential backup to restore the state
Incremental = you need the basic FULL backup and the full CHAIN of incremental backups since then to restore state
Re "+1 An idea": it should already behave like that. I.e. no difference between automatic and manual backup in respect to deletion of older backup files.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:48 am

"Differential = you need the basic FULL backup and the one differential backup to restore the state"

So it is enough to keep the last full backup file and the LAST differential backup file in order to restore the last state

Thanks for the clarification. It is shocking to myself too, but I never heard this distinction of the two terms.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:57 am

Correct.
The benefit of keeping MULTIPLE incremental backups is of course that you can restore state 4 days ago, 5 days ago, ... not just the last state.
There are 2 major threats for your data:
1. a system crash for whatever reason --> you want to restore the state before that disastrous event
2. you have deleted/modified data without taking notice of that --> you might have to go back in time to find a valid data set
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mikek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 am

Error!

"Thread:14
Target: OldManBiking.BackupPlugin.UI.Views.BackupViewControl
Method: SettingsChanged"

OK

Unerwartete Ausnahmebedinung
Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht.
bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, ............... bla bla bla .....

Woher kommt dieser Fehler ?!?! :?:
mikek
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 am

Wobei passiert das denn?
Hast Du einen Screenshot der Meldung?
Ggf. auch einen Screenshot der Backup-Konfiguration?

Eine Idee hätte ich. Wenn Du mir eine PM mit Deiner E-Mail-Adresse schickst, maile ich Dir eine Betaversion zu.

OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jüre » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:30 am

old_man_biking wrote:Wobei passiert das denn?
Hast Du einen Screenshot der Meldung?
Ggf. auch einen Screenshot der Backup-Konfiguration?

Eine Idee hätte ich. Wenn Du mir eine PM mit Deiner E-Mail-Adresse schickst, maile ich Dir eine Betaversion zu.

OMB

Guten Tag OMB

Erhalte auch eine Fehlermeldung nachdem ich das Backup Plugin gestern aktualisiert habe.
Unter "Sicherung machte ich eine "Voll Sicherung". Am Schluss kommt Fehlermeldung (siehe 3 angehängte Bilder).

Habe den Backup Ordner neu erstellt. Mit gleicher Fehlermeldung.

Gruss und Dank
Jürg
Attachments
PS 0133 Fehlermeldung SportTracks Backup 3_cr.jpg
PS 0133 Fehlermeldung SportTracks Backup 3_cr.jpg (138.92 KiB) Viewed 17916 times
PS 0133 Fehlermeldung SportTracks Backup 2_cr.jpg
PS 0133 Fehlermeldung SportTracks Backup 2_cr.jpg (145.15 KiB) Viewed 17916 times
PS 0133 Fehlermeldung SportTracks Backup 1-cr.jpg
PS 0133 Fehlermeldung SportTracks Backup 1-cr.jpg (85.16 KiB) Viewed 17916 times
jüre
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 am

Let's switch back to English in this board :)

OK, please send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you a beta version with - hopefully - a fix.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 am

With the latest Backup Plugin release 3.0.4279, I now get a Thread 11 error followed by an Unexpected Exception.

texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mikek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 am

yes, exactly this is my error message too. the thread number is every time an other.
the error happens when make manually a full backup
mikek
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 am

Seems to have been an "ingenious" last minute change before releasing the version :cry: :cry:
I'm already investigating this.

EDIT: uploaded a new version that should fix this issue
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jüre » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi OMB

The new Version 3.0.4280 work fine.

Many Thank for your fast reaction.

Jürg
jüre
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:04 am

"1. I'll check the files, but I have no idea how they could be write protected without my intervention."

I got back to my beloved PC and you were right OMB, some files were write protected.

And I am happy that I dont need to report the strange situation that in spite of the warning message (logbook was not saved), the plugin saved the settings. I realized that in the new version there is clarificatino message about it.

Well done.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:01 am

Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:I got back to my beloved PC and you were right OMB, some files were write protected.

Yep, that's what I had seen when I had hacked myself into your PC :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously: that was the only possible solution that I could think of after looking at my code.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Backup