Scoring Swim Activities

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Scoring Swim Activities

Notapor mechgt » Lun Ago 09, 2010 7:29 pm

So... how do any of the triathletes (or swimmers of course!) out there score their swim activities? We've got Trimp, TSS, BikeScore, etc. for other sports, but how does anyone score swimming... or do you? Does anyone out there record these activities, or do you just enter it manually afterward?
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Notapor admin » Jue Ago 12, 2010 11:40 am

As I understand it: stroke efficiency, which is usually a relationship of # of strokes per length and the time (distance being constant in an indoor pool). Less strokes to cover the same distance more quickly being more efficient.

But I don't know how well it is developed, or common to measure for instance what is Phelps' stroke index, like you could find numbers for Lance.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Notapor texmurphy » Jue Ago 12, 2010 3:28 pm

I score by stroke count. Open water swim means I can tell efficiency or power by strokes to next marker and overall count for workout.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Notapor ksherman » Jue Ago 12, 2010 6:48 pm

If you are looking at reviewing your total training effort for a period then I just add a manual TRIMP score in the workout for the training load plug in. I typically work on elapsed time. (I don't like wearing HRM in pool)
So 100's of 2 mins will count the full 2 mins because the HR is still up there in that period, and I ujust assume it is in the 1.1 band on average. So a 2k swim, in around 38 mins elapsed would be 38x 1.1 = 41.8 => TRIMP of 42.
If you want to compare efficiency of swimming over time then the stroke count is a good start.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Scoring Swim Activities

Notapor wmckean » Mié May 04, 2011 12:00 pm

There's a good article over at Training Peaks on how to create a simplified TSS score for swimming. I used that calculation to input a manual TRIMP score while training for IM AZ last year, and it worked out well...

Wes
wmckean

Notapor fyreman193 » Mar May 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Here is the link for the article....
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/triathlon/calculating-swimming-tss-score.aspx

I used that calculation to input a manual TRIMP score

I am curious, after reading that, how are you converting the TSS score to TRIMP? I just came up with a spreadsheet in excel to calculate TSS based on the numbers from the above article. Then I just put the TSS score (into the TRIMP field) in Fit Plan to have something. I figure something is better than zero.
fyreman193

Notapor chutchings » Vie Ago 19, 2011 8:34 am

You can use effiency index or SWOLF score, there are two gadget that can do this for you one is Swimsence and the other is Swim Mate by inovate.
Where there is a will there is a way
chutchings

Notapor Burnt Toast » Jue Feb 09, 2012 9:23 am

jingwowin escribió:out there score their swim activities? We've got Trimp, TSS, BikeScore, etc. for other sports, but how does anyone score swimming... or do you? Does anyone out there record these activities, or do you just enter it manually afterward?

Buy WOW Gold
Runescape Money
WOW Gold
Runescape Gold

I use a TRIMP value. I created a "swim" HR zone in Training Load. While I'm swimming, I manually take my pulse rate after my intervals to get an idea of what my average HR may be for the workout. After I upload to ST, I manually enter an average HR on the workout summary page and allow TL to calculate a TRIMP score from the HR data and total workout time.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Notapor the5krunner » Mar Abr 30, 2013 6:37 pm

FWIW: I used to use 5TRIMPs per 100m now I use 4 TRIMPs per 100m.

Any old polar watch will most probably be waterproof and most probably the strap will work under water. Then you can find out exactly what your heart did. Defining your swim zones (which WIL be different to your run/bike zones) is of course another matter entirely! i think my old polar watch is a s720i or something like that..works fine underwater.

4TRIMPs/100m is pretty easy if you're rubbish like me. [Edit: I'm down to 3/100m and I'm still rubbish]

but as ksherman says he would probably get 2TRIMPs per 100m as he is MUCH more efficient.
Última edición por the5krunner el Mié Oct 15, 2014 3:36 pm, editado 1 vez en total
the5krunner

Notapor wizardofaz » Dom Sep 21, 2014 5:17 pm

I would like to have graphs for open water swim similar to what I have for biking and running. For example, how my pace varied over the duration of the swim. But I can't figure out how to view it. My pace graph for a swim looks like this which tells me nothing:

Imagen

I'm sure the cadence varied at least a little (horizontal green line) and for sure the pace didn't continually decrease with absolutely straight slope. This is not a one-off, they all look about like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Bill
wizardofaz

Volver a Questions