by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

How to integrate workouts without HR data

How to integrate workouts without HR data

Postby csommerf » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:07 am

I am a new user of this plugin, and it looks very promising with regards to helping me balance my traning and hold back on training too much. However, how could I also integrate workouts without HR data. For instance strength training with weights in a training studio. Most of us supplement the biking, running, skiing, etc. with this kind of training and it definitely has an impact on the Traninng Stress Balance and Training Loads. Is there anyway these workouts can be included manually so that the TSB also reflects these?
Carl Jacob
csommerf

Re: How to integrate workouts without HR data

Postby dirk66 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm

You can place TRIMP=XXXX somewhere in the notes field. In that case that value is taken into the calculation. Or if you know it, fill in the avg HR manualy.

success
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby csommerf » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks! Any sources of wisdom on the net that can be used for estimating TRIMP manually with some sort of accuracy?
Carl Jacob
csommerf

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Best is always to record a typical workout with a HR monitor because HR is very individual. TRIMP is more a measurement for endurance training I doubt it makes much sense for strength training. Record a session and
keep us informed about the outcome.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby csommerf » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm

I just did a test to see how the plugin calculates. First a restitution spinning session. 30 mins @ 63% of HRmax. That gave TRIMP=29. Then a heavy workout with different weight excercises across all of the muscles in the body. 4 of them with 4x12 repetitions and 6 with 2x20 repetitions. Time under tension 6 secs for each repetition (2121). Total time 1h15min. Average HR @ 59% of HRmax. That gave TRIMP=30. Needless to say, the last session took a much harder toll on the body and contributes both to fatigue and fitness more than the spinning. Based on the feeling in my body, I woud set TRIMP manually to somewhere between 60 and 80, so I guess thats the best way to do it?

Also without power measurements, I notice that HR alone does not give the full picture. For bikers who do 'strength pedalling' with very high resistance at low cadence to develop bking muscles, will not TRIMP will also be a bit low? as HR is usualy lower when doing this than hard intervals, while fatigue and need for restitution is at least as high as with pure interval workouts?
Carl Jacob
csommerf

Postby dirk66 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Sure fatigue has not only a conditional aspect. And it probably helps if you have a bike with a powertap. Then you have more results which can be used to measure your fitness and progress. The problem for me, as a fun/hobby sporter, they are far too expensive.

If you want to know more about the calculations and the principes i suggest you read the documents mentioned here: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5467
This plugin helped me to quantify my feeling of being fatigue or not, and after a couple of months i learned what feeling is about what value and that helped me to prevent from get overtrained. And ofcourse i can't tell if my trimp is 10 or 12 or 10,5 for a specific training. But i can tell it is more like 10 or like 20. Not really a scientific approach :lol: , but as mentioned, it helps me to prevent from being overtrained.
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 am

csommerf wrote:I just did a test to see how the plugin calculates. First a restitution spinning session. 30 mins @ 63% of HRmax. That gave TRIMP=29. Then a heavy workout with different weight excercises across all of the muscles in the body. 4 of them with 4x12 repetitions and 6 with 2x20 repetitions. Time under tension 6 secs for each repetition (2121). Total time 1h15min. Average HR @ 59% of HRmax. That gave TRIMP=30. Needless to say, the last session took a much harder toll on the body and contributes both to fatigue and fitness more than the spinning. Based on the feeling in my body, I woud set TRIMP manually to somewhere between 60 and 80, so I guess thats the best way to do it?

Also without power measurements, I notice that HR alone does not give the full picture. For bikers who do 'strength pedalling' with very high resistance at low cadence to develop bking muscles, will not TRIMP will also be a bit low? as HR is usualy lower when doing this than hard intervals, while fatigue and need for restitution is at least as high as with pure interval workouts?

Wow didn't expect such a high HR avg, should have been a hard workout.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load