Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Beginner questions

Beginner questions

Postby staffann » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:13 am

Forgive me if I ask a couple of n00b questions:

1. Is there a rule of thumb that I can use to see how hard I should train when building up my fitness (CTL)? It there perhaps an optimum relationship between CTL and ATL?

2. If I understand it correctly there is no way of telling if I train correctly for the event that is my target? I mean that I could train in a way that would be good for a 5k run but my goal could be a marathon. That wouldn't show in the curves?

The most interesting part of this plugin otherwise seems to be the training influence. Great to be able to visualise it that well.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Beginner questions

Postby mechgt » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:35 am

staffann wrote:Forgive me if I ask a couple of n00b questions:

1. Is there a rule of thumb that I can use to see how hard I should train when building up my fitness (CTL)? It there perhaps an optimum relationship between CTL and ATL?

I believe that the primary reason that you would want to control your CTL ramp up would be for injury prevention (joint pain, etc), and then next would be to prevent over-training. Too fast and either of these are likely to occur.

staffann wrote:2. If I understand it correctly there is no way of telling if I train correctly for the event that is my target? I mean that I could train in a way that would be good for a 5k run but my goal could be a marathon. That wouldn't show in the curves?

That's correct. Everybody's chart looks basically the same... cyclists, runners, long-distance, short-distance. You'll need to intelligently decide your training activities and tailor them to your goal. Training Load is helpful to track your progress, but also to allow you to target race day by controlling your fitness/fatigue indicators. You can design your training schedule such that you'll have a high CTL (fitness), and low ATL (fatigue) on race day, but it does not tell you that your specific training was applicable to your chosen event.

staffann wrote:The most interesting part of this plugin otherwise seems to be the training influence. Great to be able to visualise it that well.

Glad you like it! I find it helpful as well, particularly when it get's close to race day.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load