Training Load

by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

What is the practical purpose of the red curve, Inf Chart?

What is the practical purpose of the red curve, Inf Chart?

Postby Lacho » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:39 pm

I have been using the Training Load Plugin, and have become amazed at what can be accomplished. I found out the reason for my bonking a Half-Marathon: starting very fatigued, and so have placed my faith on it for an up-coming half-marathon.

My question is, besides the max effect, and taper start date results in the lower right hand window, does the red curve serve any purpose? Must the blue curve approach it? Should it mimic its rate of change? On which axis does it reside?

Thanx
Lacho

Re: What is the practical purpose of the red curve, Inf Char

Postby mechgt » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:54 am

Lacho wrote:I have been using the Training Load Plugin, and have become amazed at what can be accomplished. I found out the reason for my bonking a Half-Marathon: starting very fatigued, and so have placed my faith on it for an up-coming half-marathon.

My question is, besides the max effect, and taper start date results in the lower right hand window, does the red curve serve any purpose? Must the blue curve approach it? Should it mimic its rate of change? On which axis does it reside?

Thanx

The idea is to set the date of an upcoming race (sounds like you've got this part already.) Based on that date, it's supposed to show when training will be most beneficial for your race (when the line is higher) or hurtful to your race (when the line is negative... i.e. right before your race.)

So, if you had only 1 day to train for a race, or wanted to schedule your most intense workouts, do this where the line peaks.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Lacho » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks mechgt,

So the red curve only serves as a graphical proxy of the dates in the lower right hand, and, also, so that we can intuitively determine our next workouts' intensity, right?
Lacho

Postby mechgt » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Yeah, it should help with scheduling. If I remember correctly, the calculations are based on your CTL and ATL time constants. Your activities do not impact this line, so you cannot change it and it's essentially unitless.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby CStaack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:15 pm

I thought the meaning of the taper date was that any activity left of it increases TSB on race day. But after I ran today, four days before taper date (and with the influence graph positive), TSB decreased significantly. I use the standard parameters (11/45).
What is it that I don't quite understand?
CStaack
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:37 am

Alright, I think I'm going to have to go back and do some homework on this one...

Here's a link to the research paper on which this curve is based if you'd like to read up on it in the meantime:
Optimizing athletic performance by influence curves
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load