Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Training Load Plugin

Training Load Plugin

Postby texmurphy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Training Load Plugin v1.0 looks good but I have had some problems:
1. I have one activity which shows Distance = 0 in the chart but is 57 miles (Note this activity was split in two at 57 miles but otherwise nowhere else has problems);
2. The table looks like it can be sorted but I cannot change the sort (direction or by other column); and
3. It would appear that after saving the logbook after using the plugin, I have activities with NaN (Not a Number) and other problems. Then ST fails on startup :evil: ST does not report an error message in its system log. A restore of the prior logbook and uninstall of the plugin corrects this error.

Edit: #1 was resolved by plugin author; #2 being looked into; and #3 may have been corrected by the solution to #1. When checking any new configuration folks, lets remember to always have backups 8)
This is destined to be a great plugin.
Last edited by texmurphy on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Training Load Plugin

Postby Superschmid » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 am

You lucky guy,
at least you was able to download it. I cannot find a "Download Now Button".

Where to download it?

Andreas
Superschmid
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 am

It's not yet been approved by admin. It'll be in the plugin catalog with the rest under the name "Training Load" as soon as the admin releases it.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby podunk » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:53 am

will it monitor load using power or just by HR?
podunk

Postby mechgt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:01 am

HR is it's target for the time being. I don't have a power meter (besides GPS2PowerTrack plugin!) and haven't seen any training load power calculations.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:18 am

Hi mechgt,

many thanks for this new plugin.

I've tried to add some charts,didn't recognized that add to and chosen are already the same charts, the graphs was redrawn. I tried to remove the chardts than 1 by 1 but they was removed not only
from the chosen side as well they was deleted on the add to side. So at the end
I've deleted all charts but couldn't get them back. I've chosen the daily view and returned back to training load but still no charts are available anymore. After a restart of ST they came back.

Stumpjumper68
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:31 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:Hi mechgt,

...I tried to remove the chardts than 1 by 1 but they was removed not only
from the chosen side as well they was deleted on the add to side. So at the end
I've deleted all charts but couldn't get them back...

Fixed.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby podunk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:22 pm

when I change the multiplier, it does not update the Trimp value on my workouts.
podunk

Postby mechgt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:41 pm

podunk wrote:when I change the multiplier, it does not update the Trimp value on my workouts.

I just went in and changed mine, and it's working properly.

Check your SingleZone setting. That'll dictate which zone factors are used for the calculation:

- SingleZone checked: then all TRIMP values will be calculated using the selected zone (and the other zones will not be used).

- SingleZone NOT checked: TRIMP calculations will be based on the HR zone factors that the activity is assigned to (Running activities will use the Running factors, Cycling activities -> Cycling factors)

I made another HR zone called TRIMP and broke it up into small zones (currently 60 - 100% of max HR in 5% zones, but I plan to go smaller personally), assigned factors using the default calculations, and that's my SingleZone that I use for Training Load.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby podunk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 pm

ok, thanks. I checked the single zone setting and that solved the problem.

I'm trying to come up with a set of multipliers that reasonably correlate with the TSS scores from my power meter.
podunk

Postby mechgt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:43 pm

podunk wrote:I'm trying to come up with a set of multipliers that reasonably correlate with the TSS scores from my power meter.

Excellent task, I'd be very interested in what you come up with. Not sure which version you're running, but as of 1.1.0 I redid the default factor calculation (thanks mazoaguirre!) and IMHO it's significantly better (the original calc was pretty bad, but it got the job done.)
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm still waiting for the admin to officially release this plugin, but in the meantime here's the download link for all interested:

[url=http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Plugins/plugin_detail.php?id=103]Training Load
[/url]

(Let me know if anyone has difficulty with the link)

The idea of this plugin is to chart your CTL/ATL/TSB. It's similar to the TRIMP plugin, but it charts these training variables over time.

To use it, download and install via the link above, then Select View -> Training Load. Be sure to check out the settings page also.

Have fun!
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

I love it!

Postby Switch » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:32 am

Excellent job, thanx!

Especially after I added some columns to the table, now showing CTL, TSB before, ATL, TSB after.

As we are approaching X-mas, I am hoping for some more presents, like:
- display of every day in the table, not just the ones where I exercised. This would allow to say the effect of not exercising.
- a preview of a couple of days, let's say 7. this would show how CTL and TSB would develop without exercising (or I could enter my planned exercises!).

Anyway, I love this plugin, thanx again!
Switch
Switch
Donated!
Donated!

Re: I love it!

Postby mechgt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:24 am

Switch wrote:Excellent job, thanx!

Especially after I added some columns to the table, now showing CTL, TSB before, ATL, TSB after.

As we are approaching X-mas, I am hoping for some more presents, like:
- display of every day in the table, not just the ones where I exercised. This would allow to say the effect of not exercising.
- a preview of a couple of days, let's say 7. this would show how CTL and TSB would develop without exercising (or I could enter my planned exercises!).

Anyway, I love this plugin, thanx again!
Switch

Ask and ye shall receive, as a matter of fact, I just added a forecasting option last night. It forecasts 7 days past when your TSB peaks, so you can see when you would be peaking if you stopped training now.

Putting every day in the table will cause it to be too crowded in my opinion. You'll be able to see that in the chart by adding CTL, ATL, or TSB.

I've got one more little toy I'm working on before I post it.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Training Load update just released with some new features and a few bugfixes. Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback. Still waiting on admin to release it into the plugin library.

Use the link above to download in the meantime.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:11 pm

mechgt wrote:I just added a forecasting option last night. It forecasts 7 days past when your TSB peaks, so you can see when you would be peaking if you stopped training now.

Useful addition, but can the time used for predicting be extended? Forecasting after my weekly long run throws off the calculation. My CTL has been 80 +/-4 for two months, but the predicted value in a week is 110.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby mechgt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:23 pm

gerhard wrote:Useful addition, but can the time used for predicting be extended? Forecasting after my weekly long run throws off the calculation. My CTL has been 80 +/-4 for two months, but the predicted value in a week is 110.

Question: How does your CTL forecast go up? Forecasting shows the effects of stopping all training; CTL/ATL should decay, and TSB will go up and peak, then fall. Forecasting goes 7 days past the peak of TSB. The intention is to help see when your training will peak. See below:

mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:01 pm

I see a chart setting for Training Influence. I can't find any reference for this, so what is it?
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:45 pm

Question: How does your CTL forecast go up? Forecasting shows the effects of stopping all training; CTL/ATL should decay, and TSB will go up and peak, then fall. Forecasting goes 7 days past the peak of TSB. The intention is to help see when your training will peak. See below:

I think as the CTL and TSB graphs look forward they track the exercises without taking into account the rest days. All the programs that track this data, have increasing CTL and TSB for a number of days prior to decreasing. If you are planning for a big event say a century your TSB should be on the positive side the day of the event. If you are at -30 TSB two weeks prior to the event, you need to taper for the event. If you are at +15 two weeks prior to the event you peaked too early.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:58 pm

I can't seem to do anything with "Set Target Date"
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:04 pm

texmurphy wrote:I see a chart setting for Training Influence. I can't find any reference for this, so what is it?

Short answer: Shows when the best time to train based on a target race date and your CTL/ATL time constants.

Long answer:
Optimizing athletic performance by influence curves
and
Modeling Human Performance in Running

The new chart is based on the papers above. This new chart line is basically a template that you can align to a race date (the line does not change based on your conditioning.) As the line increases and peaks, your training will give 'more bang for your buck' on race day (in terms of higher TSB.) You'll notice it goes negative at some point, and at this point, training will be contributing more to fatigue than fitness (in effect any training after this point will lower your TSB for race day!)

To Use:
Select an activity or date on the calender, then click 'Set Target Date' - this is now your race date. Add the Influence chart (is there a better name for this?) and it can help show when to train. Also see the values in the lower right pane showing the peak training date, and cutoff date (think I called it 'Taper Date'.) These values are Tg and Tn in the above papers.

The cutoff date seems really early and is counter-intuitive, but if you take the time to read the papers above, there is some research behind it. The 2nd paper (Modeling Human Performance...) has some experimental data where actual performance was shown to in fact follow the model.

NOTE: I changed the default values for ATL & CTL time constants to 15 & 45 days respectively in response to these papers (ATL was previously 7 days.)
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Oops. I got an exception when I closed one logbook and opened another, then selected TrainingLoad. I think this has something to do with categories since it seems the category listing is not refreshing properly.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.SortedList`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at TrainingLoad.UI.View.ViewTrainingLoadPageControl.RefreshPage()
at TrainingLoad.UI.View.ViewTrainingLoadPage.ShowPage(String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.ViewNavigationManager.ShowCurrentView()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.ViewNavigationManager.GoTo(IView view, String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.ViewNavigator.GoTo(IView view, String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Forms.Application.MainWindow.GoToView(IView view, String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Application.ShowView(Guid viewId, String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Actions.OtherTasks.SelectView.popupItem_Select(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:13 pm

TRIMP for activities with no HR Track:
TRIMP can now be set for all activities, and you have a few options of how to do so. The options are indicated below, and are in order of priority:

1) Manual entry: Put the text 'TRIMP=nnnn' in the Notes field, where nnnn is your TRIMP value for that activity. This has first priority so that you can override the methods below if they have bad data for some reason (batteries died in the middle of an activity for instance.)

2) HeartRate Track: This is the typical method, that you should already see.

3) Enter Activity Duration and Average HR. Activities that cannot calculate a value from the above methods will use this. I figure a guesstimate is better than nothing at all.

Now you can get credit for all of your activities.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:31 pm

racerfern wrote:I can't seem to do anything with "Set Target Date"

I'll answer my own inquiry. I see where I click on an activity and then click on Set Target Date. However, I want to select this date as my "event or race" date probably 30 days in the future. I don't understand where looking back helps. Am I missing something?
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:00 am

racerfern wrote:
racerfern wrote:I can't seem to do anything with "Set Target Date"

I'll answer my own inquiry. I see where I click on an activity and then click on Set Target Date. However, I want to select this date as my "event or race" date probably 30 days in the future. I don't understand where looking back helps. Am I missing something?

You've got it right, set target date to your next race date in the future. The chart displays backward from this date, showing you when the best time to train is. This is all about maximizing TSB for race day; remember that TSB is supposed to be a performance indicator - a high TSB should result in better race performance. High TSB means lots of fitness (CTL), little fatigue (ATL).

In the diagram below I set my race date for Feb 1, 2009. A single training session in the green rectangle will give me a higher TSB on race day than outside of the green rectangle. A single session at the peak (bold green line) will give me the highest possible TSB on race day, and any training in the red rectangle (where this chart is negative) will actually lower my TSB because it will contribute more to fatigue than to fitness.

So to put this into practice, if I were planning for a race, my December training (between Dec 2008 & Jan 2008 markers on the diagram below) will have the most impact for a Feb 1 race.

mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Next

Return to Training Load