Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

TRIMP for non Heart Rate activity

TRIMP for non Heart Rate activity

Postby the_meek » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Hello

Recently started with MOBI and Training Load plug in.

I have many activities without heart rate data (manually entered stationary bike training, runs with GPS watch but no HR monitor). Maybe one activity per month has HR data.
Does/can Training Load assign a TRIMP for these non-HR activities? It seems not.
My training load graph looks slack to say the least.

Also having a play with Sport Tracks mobi which does assign an effort rating for each activity with or without HR data.
But need to delete all MOBI activities and start again after :
importing from Connect where activities are not properly categorised
importing from my ST3 training file (exported a fitlog) so have doubled up on many activities.

Thanks for any advice,
Mick
the_meek

Re: TRIMP for non Heart Rate activity

Postby texmurphy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:03 pm

You can enter manual Trimp and TSS for an activity. These are in Custom Data Fields. Select the Custom Data Fields screen for your activity and enter your estimate of Trimp there.

You could also enter these on the Notes section of the activity Summary screen by:
Trimp=xxx
TSS=xxx
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the_meek » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:06 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I have about 1200 activities (over the full history if/when i upgrade to paid version) so would prefer to avoid manual entry if possible. Also need to be sure i calculate (or estimate) significantly well for it to be meaningful.

If i understand correctly:
i) TSS and TRIMP are calculations of effort but with different basis (definitions based on what metrics are available: power, HR, etc), so the TSS and TRIMP views show similar patterns but with different absolute numbers.
ii) Currently HR data or power data are required, there are no other alogoritms based on gradient corrected pace?

The MOBI site defaults to other effort calculations depending which data is available.
Should Training Load do the same, is there an error in my installation, or those functions are not available?

In the future i will have a power meter and can wear the HR monitor more, but i'm not always keen to wear it (6 times in 3 months).
Am i forced to wear the HR every time for full run effort analysis in Training Load?

thanks

(edited after i read more about TSS and TRIMP)
the_meek

Re: TRIMP/TSS for non Heart Rate, non Power activities

Postby the_meek » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Fixed gaps in history and have plan going forward.

For historical sessions:
Populated the last 4 months of TSS data, enough to get a good trend started
Entered TSS estimates for stationary bike activities
Used power estimate plugins to get TSS for run and bike with GPS track

For future:
Power meter on turbo and road bike
Use power function to convert GPS run routes to TSS
Use power track estimates for less important activities, when I don't fancy/forget wearing HRM.
Estimate swim TSS from PE and time

That gives a complete set of TSS data, more important than absolute accuracy.

A closing thought: why are separate plugins needed to use TSS across all activities?
Can we have them all in one plugin with a priority list to select algorithm based on accuracy/repeatability, defaulting to 'lesser' algorithms if certain data is not available.
the_meek

Postby Magnus Nilsson » Sat May 07, 2016 4:54 pm

I often find myself having to enter TRIMP approximations manually because I lack heart rate data for an exercise.

It would be nice if I could have settings where I could tell a simple fallback that when an activity is entered/imported, and there exist no "real" method of calculating TRIMP, it would use a standard value that I give in the settings and multiply by distance.

I could then enter (for example) have "4" stored for my bikeactivity type , and when I import a 50km biking session without any other meanse, it would calculate a TRIMP of 200, which is essentially what I do manually today.

cheers,
Magnus.
Magnus Nilsson

Postby texmurphy » Sat May 07, 2016 6:35 pm

This seems like an easy computation using the Calculated Fields Plugin. If you post in that forum, someone might have a formula for you viewforum.php?f=67
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load