by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

CTL when making a comeback

CTL when making a comeback

Postby RogerRab » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:08 am

After injuring my knee and being out for 3 months, my sports doctor started me on a running program that starts with 3 weeks of 10 minutes running a day, then 15 for 3 weeks, 20 for 3 weeks, etc. Similarly, in each 3 week period, I start with 4 days in the first week, then 5, then 6.
Accordingly, my TSB is getting more and more in the negative each week. Should I just ignore the TSB until I stabilize my program (i.e. 60 minutes a day)?
Alternately, maybe I should change the time constants?
RogerRab

Re: CTL when making a comeback

Postby tndmbkr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Why do you stick to the TSBmodel while you are recovering from an injury?
The main limitation of the TSB model is that training reduces performance and never improves it.
The TSB model only detects a change in training level, with reduced training improving performance and increased training reduces performance.
Whatever constants you use.

On the other hand you need a metric of the overall stress that you are undergoing than simply looking at training volume.
I have used the concept of Training Strain for that purpose.
http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Training_Monotony

The ST plugin Dailymile by Fellrnr will perform the necessary calculations for you.
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... ile-export

Please note that this plugin introduces Custom Data Fields by the cartload in your activity view, which are not documented.
tndmbkr

Re: CTL when making a comeback

Postby RogerRab » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks!

One thing that I don't understand is how to interpret the graphs. For example, I see that my Strain Graph (Weekly TSB / Strain) averages about 600 with a peak of 1150. Over the past month the peaks have been getting smaller: 870, 830. Fellmr writes: "The value of Training Strain that leads to actual Overtraining Syndrome would be specific to each athlete." That being said, though, what are some general observations?
RogerRab

Return to Training Load