by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

How is "Target date" computed?

How is "Target date" computed?

Postby totops1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:15 am

While I really like the feature "Set target date", I am curious to know how it works.
I have set the date of my next race but I wonder, how do the different values such as taper date, peak dat get set ? I am training for a 100-mler mountain race but I could also be training for a flat 5k ?

Thanks
totops1
totops1

Re: How is "Target date" computed?

Postby dirk66 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 am

Hi,

There is a sticky post in this subforum called "What is the Influence Chart? " It explains the red curve. My guess that you'll find your answers there.

But the target date can be set by selecting a date and click on the link set targetdate. And it is the date on which you have to race/perform. No matter if it's a marathon or a 100 meter. It's just a target date.

Regards
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby totops1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:15 pm

dirk66 wrote: No matter if it's a marathon or a 100 meter. It's just a target date.

Well, Yes it matters to me. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong but If I'm racing 100 miles of 50k, my taper should be different and hence my peak date would be different too
totops1

Postby dirk66 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:46 am

ofcourse the training is different, but the targetdate is the same, it's your raceday. But in terms of ctl/atl etc the optimum can be computed. As your atl lowers in about 10 days and ctl in about 40 days. (For non existing average people) and tapering is oke, but don't taper to long or to short. It's wrong to think that you have to taper 4 weeks for a long distance and 1 day for a 100m just because of the distance.
A long distance runner and a sprinter are training in a different way. The best advice is listen to your body. And use your common sense.
Last week i participated in a 24h inline skate estafette. I had an active rest taper period for 4 days. At the end i had done about 150km in 5.5hour. I don't think i had done a lot more km if i had take a longer rest period. My only mistake was being so excited when i finally could start(i had to wait 4 hours before i could start) that my first ride was actually so fast that i hurt my back, which decreased my speed in later rides. And that is also a risk of tapering to much.
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby totops1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:14 pm

dirk66 wrote:The best advice is listen to your body. And use your common sense.

Are you trying to convince me not to use any technology then ?? Like giving up on Training Load plugin ???
totops1

Postby texmurphy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Target Date is a particular event date. It is set by clicking on a calendar date and then doing Set Target Date. (btw: you will have to reset the date to "Today" when you switch back to Daily Activity view.)
Presumably you are training for the specific event for that day. Hence your preparation should be modeled in the charts implicitly.
So if you are doing two or more events close together, and only training for the first, then the second might not be correctly modeled.
The FAQ parts of this Forum thread are useful, if difficult reading.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dirk66 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 am

totops1 wrote:
dirk66 wrote:The best advice is listen to your body. And use your common sense.

Are you trying to convince me not to use any technology then ?? Like giving up on Training Load plugin ???

No, :?: why are you thinking that?
Numbers are just numbers, use them wisely and listen to your body. If you feel bad and the numbers are telling you that you are prepared to do a top ride or run well most likely your body is right, not the numbers. They don't know when you are ill for instance... your body does.
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:11 am

totops1 wrote:
dirk66 wrote: No matter if it's a marathon or a 100 meter. It's just a target date.

Well, Yes it matters to me. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong but If I'm racing 100 miles of 50k, my taper should be different and hence my peak date would be different too

yes your taper start date will be different.
Peak date maybe not. Don't know

Interestingly, if you ever get involved in lab tests the only question sports scientists can ask about how 'fatigued' you are is "How fatigued/tired do you feel today"!!!!!!!!!!. Every other 'measure' has flaws so they might as well ask a subjective question. Similarly they will ask you the RPE of the exercise level you are currently at. How does the pace feel? I don't like it. But it's the way it is, I am not a robot. (Lots of caveats that I wont add go here => ........ )
the5krunner

Return to Training Load