Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Training load settings and calculated power data

Training load settings and calculated power data

Postby anthro88 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi,
I'm getting power data from my mountain bike rides even though I don't have a power meter on that bike or any of the plugins that estimate power, the number as unsual high and I believe is affecting my overall fit parameter values (TRIMP, TSS, CTL, ATLS, etc).

Below is a copy of the data and the settings page. could you please help so it doesn't continue to calculate power data. I originally had the run power data plugin and I had to uninstall it because I felt it was messing up with my overall fit parameter values, the number were also very high.

settings.png
settings.png (65.78 KiB) Viewed 16041 times

data.png
data.png (175.09 KiB) Viewed 16041 times
anthro88

Re: Training load settings and calculated power data

Postby texmurphy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:33 pm

What is your device and how are you importing device data (e.g. Edge 305 and Garmin USB Plugin (most likely not))?
I see you are using the Trainer Power Plugin - is it being applied to the import?

Clearly you have some bad Power readings. Do the activities show power on the Power Daily Activity or Edit->Data Tracks?
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby anthro88 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 pm

texmurphy wrote:What is your device and how are you importing device data (e.g. Edge 305 and Garmin USB Plugin (most likely not))?
I see you are using the Trainer Power Plugin - is it being applied to the import?

Clearly you have some bad Power readings. Do the activities show power on the Power Daily Activity or Edit->Data Tracks?

I use a 310xt and use the direct import from the garmin file on my computer.

those activities report max power and normalized power and sometimes average power. the normalized power values are in the 1000-3xxx which makes no sense. while the power values are near zero +/- 10.

Again this happens only for mountain bike rides where no power meter is used. Any additional thoughts? thank you.
anthro88

Postby texmurphy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:17 pm

I do not have a 310xt. However, do you have separate profiles for your MTN vs Road bikes and do you switch to a MTN profile without PM when doing a MTN ride?
The Garmin devices can be sensitive to data archived on the device, so archive on the pc and clear device history regularly.
The symptoms point to the 310xt as a possible problem.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby anthro88 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 pm

actually all the workouts get recorded on the same device under the same bike 1. when I import they all go into the same cycling category of sporttrack. I don't have any special categories like mtb. like I said this only happens when I do a ride without a power meter and only the gps is recording data, like in my mountain bike.

I believe it is something with the settings of training load or sportstrack, I really don't think has anything to do with my garmin. My garmin doesn't give me power data if I am not using the power meter.
anthro88

Postby mechgt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:30 pm

So where is the power track coming from? Is it being imported from Garmin, or being added after the fact by a plugin like Trainer Power? Training Load is likely doing the NP calc, however it's not calculating a power track; something else is doing that.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby anthro88 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:03 pm

mechgt wrote:So where is the power track coming from? Is it being imported from Garmin, or being added after the fact by a plugin like Trainer Power? Training Load is likely doing the NP calc, however it's not calculating a power track; something else is doing that.

Hi Mechgt, we don't know where the power track is coming from, but we know is not from the Garmin. I have trainer power unchecked on the settings, I can try uninstalling it to see if it makes a difference.

I just also realized I am getting some power values for my runs? I used to have the Running Power plugin but I uninstalled it a month ago.

couple of questions:
1. is it possible that Running Power plugin still runnning on the background even though has been uninstall?
2. How is NP calculated on training load? what is the formula?

Check the table below. runs generate a 1-2 watts while mtb generate none or 1 watts with outragous NP in the thousands. the only reasonable data is the one from my power meter when I use it on my road bike.

bad power data.png
bad power data.png (22 KiB) Viewed 15949 times
anthro88

Postby texmurphy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 pm

anthro88 wrote:...I have trainer power unchecked on the settings, I can try uninstalling it to see if it makes a difference...

The Trainer Power Plugin is still active (checked) in the image posted above, otherwise it would not appear in that Settings Plugins list. You do not need to uninstall a plugin, unchecking it should cause it not to be loaded.

However, is it possible you have more than one SportTracks instance running, or that you rarely shutdown SportTracks? If so try closing (any) all instances of ST and maybe do a full Windows shutdown & reboot. Some people leave their systems always on.

I have not used the IBP Plugin so I don't know if it puts its difficulty analysis in the Power track.....???
Also make sure that your Calculated Fields Plugin is not using any formulae which save to the Power track.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby anthro88 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 am

texmurphy wrote:
anthro88 wrote:...I have trainer power unchecked on the settings, I can try uninstalling it to see if it makes a difference...

The Trainer Power Plugin is still active (checked) in the image posted above, otherwise it would not appear in that Settings Plugins list. You do not need to uninstall a plugin, unchecking it should cause it not to be loaded.

However, is it possible you have more than one SportTracks instance running, or that you rarely shutdown SportTracks? If so try closing (any) all instances of ST and maybe do a full Windows shutdown & reboot. Some people leave their systems always on.

I have not used the IBP Plugin so I don't know if it puts its difficulty analysis in the Power track.....???
Also make sure that your Calculated Fields Plugin is not using any formulae which save to the Power track.

So, I uninstalled the IBP plugin and the Trainer power plugin, restarted sport track, deleted one my recent runs, then I added back in, and..... well, it still looks the same as before. and yes I am running only one sportrack. the only thing I have on the calculated plugin is Peak Power and I don't think is related to the problem.

I also notice that the very few runs I did indoor do not show any power data, therefore the problem must be related to GPS data trying to convert to power! just like if the gps run power plugin was still running in the background.

thanks for trying to troubleshoot the issue with me, do you have any other suggestions? thank you.
anthro88

Postby mechgt » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 pm

You might consider inspecting the Garmin files just to make triple sure. Not sure how to directly inspect the FIT files, which I believe are the ones being imported, but you can look at the TCX files in Notepad. My garmin import files are located in the folder below:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Devices\(deviceId)\History

I might also suspect that Calculated Fields is capable of creating a Power Track. Have you tried disabling that plugin as well and re-test?
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load