by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

HOW TO SET TL TO USE DIFF. HR ZONES FOR DIFF. ACTIVITIES

HOW TO SET TL TO USE DIFF. HR ZONES FOR DIFF. ACTIVITIES

Postby TomScar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:23 am

Hi, new to the forum, just bought ST and TL plugin (I used to use ST and TL for years, but have forgotten stuff!). I track my daughter's running training and cross training (national champ kid, 1500 meters). I used to be able to use different specified HR zones for different activities. I've specified the HR zones in CATEGORIES, but cannot get the TL plugin to use them. The trimp values remain the same in TL no matter which testing factors I assign to, for example, running, jumping rope, cycling. I've set heart rate max and RHR in athlete view; I've specified different HR zones and factors, etc. Settings for the TL plugin: tried various permutations, but still cannot get any flicker of a difference in the trimp values on the TL page.

I suspect I'm missing something really obvious, so bear with me, please.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
TomScar

Re: HOW TO SET TL TO USE DIFF. HR ZONES FOR DIFF. ACTIVITIES

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:33 pm

You need to click the recalculate button.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PatrickVSt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:12 am

I have the same question. Clicking the recalculate button (next to calorie field ?) changes nothing.
My HR% for a running activity is correct but for a fitness activity (crosstrainer) it is not. Although I have made a different HR zone for fitness it still calculates my %HR as if I was running
PatrickVSt

Postby mechgt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:49 pm

recalculate: in training load view select the activity and then click Recalculate > Activity on the menu on the left. that will force recaluation of the trimp value for that specific activity.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby TomScar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Many thanks, that worked perfectly.
Regards
Tom
TomScar

Postby dirk66 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:24 am

FredericB wrote:I am actually trying to do the same and it seems that it doesn't work. Clicking on "recalculating Logbook" doesn't help either. For example, I have 1 category for running and 1 category for cycling.
On the image below, you can see that my cycling commute has a calculated TRIMP (101) associated with it and my trainer sessions does not (TRIMP=0)? I tried to recalculate it but it didn't work
I have both "Automatic zones" and "Single Zone" UNCHECKED, do I need to change any other setting to specify that I want to use different HR zones for different acitivites ?

Hi,

In order to get a trimp value you must have a hr-track within your activity, a hr category selected at the category screen of your activity and within the TL plugin settings a proper value for each step in the corresponding hr category. If either one of these isn't there your trimp value will be zero.

Hope this helped.
Regards
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:27 am

FredericB wrote:I am actually trying to do the same and it seems that it doesn't work. Clicking on "recalculating Logbook" doesn't help either. For example, I have 1 category for running and 1 category for cycling.
On the image below, you can see that my cycling commute has a calculated TRIMP (101) associated with it and my trainer sessions does not (TRIMP=0)? I tried to recalculate it but it didn't work
I have both "Automatic zones" and "Single Zone" UNCHECKED, do I need to change any other setting to specify that I want to use different HR zones for different acitivites ?

1. try RESET CATEGORY for each category
2. custom fields just try with TRIMP selected
3. cycling heart rate zone in dropdown combo box should NOT be able to be selected??? I think this is a bugette? In some situations it is properly greyed out (ie the situation below...but greyed out)
then it is set same as mine and mine works
the5krunner

Postby tndmbkr » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:09 pm

I do not know why you have a zero result for your activity on 1/13/2016
But according to the manual you are not supposed to change your HRzones daily.
This will result in a recalculation of your TSB on a daily basis.

According to the manual you have to choose between Automatic Mode and Manual mode .
(one of these checkboxes should be checked)
Manual mode means "a new heart rate category with approximately 10 heart rate zones evenly spread between a low HR and your max hr. Each zone might cover be 6 - 8 bpm, and your lowest zone would be relatively inactive."

In this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17023 someone had the opinion he had to change his FTP in the course of a season.
While the author of this plugin states FTP may rarely change,
Last edited by tndmbkr on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tndmbkr

Postby the5krunner » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 pm

FredericB wrote:I fixed the issue by going back to "Automatic Mode" and recalculating the whole logbook (it took around 5 mins).

Thanks for your help!

1. I don't think automatic will let you have more than one set of zones. I could be wrong. so I think you were on the right lines before
2. I don't know why you got a TRIMP=0 (if you write that in the notes field then that would explain it). - you can recalc a specific activity I think
3. I suspect that changing the zones 3x a year based on tests IS probably valid in the real world. (however when you recalc the whole logbook I think it uses the last zones) but will the lthr change that much in 4months? a beat or 2 at most which I don't think will really affect the trimp score that much (having different zones for each sport could well have a much bigger impact). are the tests consistent - probably not. are the tests accurate - probably not compared to a lab. might zones change rapidly for a teenager - probably I suppose.

after changes the biggest difference I see is when I forget to do the RESET CATEGORY thing (EDIT: which sets that factor/index for each zone..this is the ONE thing that I often forget to do. but it will not give trimp=0).
Last edited by the5krunner on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the5krunner

Return to Training Load