by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Inflated Intensity Factor for Cycling Sessions

Inflated Intensity Factor for Cycling Sessions

Postby donlclary » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 pm

I seem to be having a problem with the scale of the Intensity Factors for cycling sessions. The IF for running sessions is between 1.0 and 1.99. The IF for cycling is 600 - 1000! I have only one Heart Rate Zone category. I have searched and read other posts about IF, but do not see a clear solution. Here a Training Load screen shot of my recent exercises.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9byyHVkKPOTWEVBTk1CMDhSNXc/edit?usp=sha

What do I need to do provide more details or correct the issue?

Thank you!
donlclary

Re: Inflated Intensity Factor for Cycling Sessions

Postby mechgt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Cycling: Your Normalized Power numbers appear off. 600, 700, 900 seem way high for a ride. Check your power tracks for a particular activity to see if there's anything strange there (6/4/2013 6am might be a good one to start with). Are you by chance using the Power Runner plugin to calculate a power track for cycling :wink:

Running (and cycling): I suspect that your FTP settings are not set. Go to Athlete View and enter appropriate FTP settings for yourself (see FTPrun and/or FTPcycle custom athlete parameters).
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby donlclary » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:56 am

Thank you for the quick reply!

You were correct that my FTPcycle and FTPrun values were not set. The power track for cycling is being calculated using Old Man Biking's Training Analysis plugin. I spent some time looking at the power track for 6/4 6am. The route to work is flat for the first 7 miles, then a short climb, then there is pretty much a steady uphill 1-2% grade almost the rest of the way. The is a .7 mi climb at the end (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9byyHVkKPOTTkphZjF0UmVaTWc/edit?usp=sharing).

Overall the power track has lots of short spikes (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9byyHVkKPOTNGdXQ0Q1dWg1UXc/edit?usp=sharing). Would you recommend increasing the smoothing or clipping the power track?

I am headed out of town for a long weekend, so will have to play with this more in a few days. After I get back, I may try setting the After Import plugin to clip the calculated power track at 1000W to see what effect that has.
donlclary

Postby mechgt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 am

The extended spikes above 1000w are almost certainly wrong. Maybe there's a unit conversion error (something is using meters instead of feet from elevation...) or maybe there's a wrong setting in that plugin somewhere? Anyway, the power track looks grossly wrong specifically in places that you're climbing according to the elevation track. I'd go digging around in the Training Analysis plugin forum or ask around there. I suspect there's a plugin setting somewhere that needs adjusting.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 am

Those spikes can occur, even when your GPS2PowerTrack plugin settings are correct. Due to imperfectness of your device, there may be incorrect GPS recordings, which result in spikes of your speed and grade track. These will project to the calculated power track.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby donlclary » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:56 am

I went through each of my cycling activities for 2013 deleted the off-scale TSS numbers, reran the after-import to correct the altitude track and recalculate the power, and reopened the Training Load view. The Intensity Factors are now below two and the RSS values look more reasonable.

Thank you very much Mechgt and OMB for your guidance and advice! 8)
donlclary

Return to Training Load