Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Insane Power Runner Numbers

Insane Power Runner Numbers

Postby Chick Hicks » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:15 am

Hi
I'm new to Sporttracks and I'm getting some silly Power runner numbers (And hence TSS) for my runs. Easy flat 30' runs are giving me Watts at 390 ish (my cycling FTP is 220-230) and the resulting TSS is 32,500. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Chick Hicks

Re: Insane Power Runner Numbers

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:12 am

Powertrack isn't calculated by Trainingload plugin it just displays the numbers from the power track. You need to raise that question in the forum of the plugin which calculates the power for you.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Chick Hicks » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 am

Sorry if the topic was misleading. Isn't TSS for running calculated from the running power track, or do I have that wrong? I don't so much care about the estimated running power, as long as the resultant TSS is in the ballpark. My problem is that the TSS for my runs are way off the chart.
Regards
CH
Chick Hicks

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:18 am

Yes the power numbers for running are well over estimated. But you shouldn't compare cycling with running numbers. The power tracks are calculated with different math models. You need to compare the numbers by each type.
So if you numbers increases from 390W to 440W over time you can see the trend.
Last edited by Stumpjumper68 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby anthro88 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I second the concern about the TSS number being way off the chart. Especially if those number are used on any way to calculate the other fit parameters (ctl, atl, tsb, etc.). and by the way the Power Runner plugin doesn't have his own forum plugin yet.

Anyone knows if the TSS numbers affect the calculations for other parameters on the training load plugin? any suggestions to fix this?
anthro88

Postby mechgt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 am

There's also a separate FTPrun parameter to address this exact issue. Go in and set your FTPrun value to an appropriate value and that'll bring down those TSS scores.

The power values are based on some physics calculations and other research on the topic. There is a basis in these numbers, so the calcs weren't just made up on the fly. That being said, running and cycling are different activities requiring different muscles and different body motions, so it's sensible to come to the conclusion that running power numbers and cycling power numbers (and swimming power numbers) don't exactly mirror each other. TSS on the other hand is generic and should be approximately the same for comparable running and cycling activities; thus the FTPrun parameter.

How does Training Load know which activities to associate with running (FTPrun) vs cycling (FTPcycle)? It uses the settings from Power Runner: All categories marked as 'running' will use FTPrun, and all other categories will use FTPcycle.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load