by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

odd TRIMP values from Suunto Ambit

odd TRIMP values from Suunto Ambit

Postby ricca » Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Since I have started using my Ambit and the Suunto Ambit plugin to import files in ST, the trimp score calculation is way off (eg.a race of 13hrs was given a score of 245 :o ). Anyone has an idea?
ricca
Donated!
Donated!

Re: odd TRIMP values from Suunto Ambit

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Goto datatracks and take a look if your HR track has been imported completly.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ricca » Sat May 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Yes it imports hr data correctly, at least the average hr and low/max values are okay, as well as the chart, nothing looks out of the ordinary.
ricca
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:31 am

Did you goto datatracks and did you saw a complete HR track about the total time of the activity? You can see there each recorded heart beat.
You need to click on edit data tracks.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ricca » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

yes I can see all the data track....1 hr beat every 3 sec. see attached screenshot.
I believe it has something to do with the way Ambit Plugin exports the data file. something gets left behind.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (106.07 KiB) Viewed 13148 times
ricca
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm

hmmm...mystery

obviously the HR track looks OK.

1. try and copy an old pre-Suunto exercise (eg from november last year) to today's date. Make sure it is from the same sort of sport or multi-sport as teh race in question.
remember the TRIMP associated with it
then recalculate TRIMP.

what happens to the suunto TRIMP and the new exercise TRIMPs?

2. trya nd copy your race data to today. edit and delete large segments of the race, leaving perhaps an hour or so.
recalculate TRIMP
does that look meaningful?

if nothing untowards or different happens then I concur than something must be wierd about the data from the suunto. my suggestions above are to see what happens with a large exercise file and what happens at different time points.

I assume your HR zones are correct for the sport in question.
----------------------------
tfk
http://the5krunner.com
the5krunner

Postby mechgt » Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 pm

- Copying and testing an old/correct activity to the same date as a problem activity (and make sure to set the category the same) is a good suggestion.

- Check Min/Max HR in Athlete view. Is it possible that a plugin is importing Min/Max HR values from each activity and storing in your Athlete View?!? (<-- This supposed to be your overall 'status'... not a record of activities)

- Verifying TL settings are as you're expecting. The recent versions added an "Automatic Calc" feature that streamlines some of the old required setup in exchange for using Min/Max HR as recorded in Athlete View. Anyway, verify TL settings.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ricca » Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 am

try and copy an old pre-Suunto exercise (eg from november last year) to today's date. Make sure it is from the same sort of sport or multi-sport as teh race in question.
remember the TRIMP associated with it
then recalculate TRIMP.what happens to the suunto TRIMP and the new exercise TRIMPs? DId it and Trimp changes not significantly (few points)

I re-imported an activity of 4hr and 23mins and once again the TRIMP calculated was 184 (definitely lower of what should have been )

I have removed large chunks of the activity above mentioned and TRIMP re-calc was making sense, I then re-added the portion before removed and assigned an average hr at 150 (for argument sake) and the TRIMP increased but of only few points (64 for 3hrs!!!!) so I think that is where problems begin.

I checked my hr and all my values are set at Standard

Really don't know where to look for!
ricca
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu May 16, 2013 9:59 am

Sounds to me like the calculation is underestimating the range of your HR. What is your resting and max HR as defined in Athlete view? What are you training load settings (screenshot maybe)?
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ricca » Thu May 16, 2013 10:26 am

uhmm in Athlete view I used to record my weight (I mainly used the feature to track my weight oscillations and no resting Hr and Max Hr values were set. I have now added them, let's see if that changes anything..what's your take on this?

and here is the screenshot from the Training Load settings:
Attachments
settings.JPG
settings.JPG (53.68 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
ricca
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ricca » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

hey guys...seems like the resting hr and max hr values not set in Athlete page were responsible for the miscalc of the activities. Thank you so much for your help Mechgt (BTW your plugin rocks!!!) and the5krunner for your help! :D
ricca
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load