Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Not getting TRIMP value for run

Not getting TRIMP value for run

Postby kendrewp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Folks,

I am successfully getting TRIMP values for my rides, but fail to get a value for any runs that I do. I record the run using STRAVA and down load the GPX file. I do however have to enter the ave and max HR data manually. And ideas?

Thanks
kendrewp

Re: Not getting TRIMP value for run

Postby mechgt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

I've not used the Strava export method, maybe someone else is more familiar with it and can comment directly. Otherwise, post your fitlog export of an activity and I'll take a look at it.

You might also try going to Training Load and selecting the problem activity and click Recalculate > TRIMP to force recalculation.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kendrewp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I did try the recalc with no success. Attached is the fitlog for the trouble child.

Thank you
Attachments
Strava Run Import.fitlog
Import from Problem activity.
(55.87 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
kendrewp

Postby mechgt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 am

Check your Training Load settings (HR Zones & factors specifically), it's not the activity.

In the latest version of Training Load there's an option called "Automatic Mode" that automatically handles all of the TRIMP factors based on HR max/HR rest. Unless you have a need to manually configure those, check that box and retry.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kendrewp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 am

Morning,
In the training Load settings Automatic mode is selected. There are 3 HR Zones, with TRIMP the selected value in the drop down, although because the Automatic Mode is selected, these are not editable. I does not matter which of the three HR zones I select for the category. I tried all three and still get no TRIMP value.

As a test, I moved the category under the Cylcing category (I get all my cycling TRIMP values) and I still do not get a TRIMP value on the recalculate.

Next idea as to what I am doing wrong?
kendrewp

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 am

I imported your run into my logbook and got a TRIMP number from Training Load.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kendrewp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks BurntToast. I'm obviously doing something wrong - but what? I get values for all my cylcing workouts, just not runs. It would be good if there was a log file created by Training Load that would indicate what it is doing. That way I could at least get a clue as to what I am doing wrong.
kendrewp

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 am

Try and take a screen shot of the Training Load settings page with the zones and post it here. That might help to diagnose whats going on.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kendrewp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Great idea BurntToast.

Two files - my Training Load Settings at the Category settings.
Attachments
Categories.JPG
Categories.JPG (114.21 KiB) Viewed 16786 times
TrainingLoadSettings.JPG
TrainingLoadSettings.JPG (131.95 KiB) Viewed 16786 times
kendrewp

Postby mechgt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:36 pm

What is your max/rest HR set at (Athlete view)? I found one user that had them bad values set there and was causing issues.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kendrewp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Which would make sense, except that it should also have a problem with my cycling TRIMP. The values are 50 and 184 currently.
kendrewp

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 am

kendrewp wrote:Which would make sense, except that it should also have a problem with my cycling TRIMP. The values are 50 and 184 currently.

Your Max HR for that run was 189. I'm sure it was erroneous from staic electricity as it was in the begiining portion of your run.

When you do a cycling workout, its generally know that your Max HR is about 10 beats lower then what your running Max HR is. The difference is the absence of weight bearing and the increased forces of running due to gravity. It might be worth a try to set your Max HR a little higher or edit the HR track to something more realistic for the first portion of the run and see if that makes a difference.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kendrewp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks Burnt Toast, interesting info. I will have a play.

This morning, another run and again no TRIMP. So I created a new logbook in SportTracks. Imported the run and I got the TRIMP value. My next plan it to try transfer everything from the old logbook over to the test logbook and see how we go from there. I have had this logbook for many years and I wonder if there is something corrupt in it which is causing the issue.
kendrewp

Postby kendrewp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 am

Problem resolved! The Stopped min/mile setting in categories was 0.04. Who knows why, maybe lack of oxygen to my brain from working out :oops:

Thanks for all the advice
kendrewp

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 am

I have the same HR reading problems as your workout during the late fall to early spring season when it is dry in the upper midwest. What I do is run with my hand pressed against my chest covering the HR monitor. I will run for a couple minutes like that , then try running normally and look at the HR readings. If they go up dramitacly, I press my hand over the monitor again. Repeat until the mreadings stabilize.

After uploading to ST, I manually edit the erratic high readings and move them down to the level of the running portion that I had my hand covering the monitor to get a more realistic HR graph for the run.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby kendrewp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 am

Never heard of that solution before. I did read that some folks use dryer sheets, rub the HRM to remove the static.
kendrewp

Return to Training Load