by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Norm Power calculation buggy?

Norm Power calculation buggy?

Postby smaryka » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:38 pm

I've only just finally upgraded to ST 3 after using 2 (and most of the same plugins) for years. Training Load 1.8.10 looks as good as always. I imported my ST2 logbook into ST3 without a problem, however in comparing my ST2 and ST3 logbooks it seems as though the Norm Power values are different for the same activities? Has the calculation changed?

E.g., a long group ride I did. According to ST2 Training Load it had an AP of 167w, NP of 176w, IF of .73 and TSS of 224. But ST3 Training Load gives me AP of 167, NP of 165w, IF of .69 and TSS of 199.

Incidentally I've never had an NP lower than AP on any ride before! I had a ~45 min coffee stop where I stopped recording on the Garmin and it looks like maybe the NP takes that time of 0w into account somehow?

For my other rides with minimal stopping the NP values look more or less ok -- slightly lower but not terribly.
smaryka
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Norm Power calculation buggy?

Postby mechgt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 am

The only issue I'm aware of is related to reading custom parameters (FTP for Training Load). I'm testing the next release of Training Load that has a fix for this. If you want to see if this is your issue, back calculate the FTP for your activities and see if it's using a different FTP from what you entered (a default FTP value).

P.S.: Good to see you back on the boards :)
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jibberjim » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:13 pm

So it certainly appears to be an issue/difference with the NP calculation on ST3 Training Load via ST2 Training Load. What it looks like is that the zero handling differs between the two. And since TSS etc. is all related back to the NP that's where it gets it "wrong". I say wrong in quotes of course because zero handling is not actually defined in any NP calculation, but it's different to ST2 and I think the ST2 behaviour is more correct, it's certainly more similar to WKO.

Situation is with long Stopped time (with the garmin switched off / paused) in ST2 these were ignored, in ST3 it appears they are included, which having all the extra zeroes suppresses the NP - doesn't suppress the AP in ST as that's NZAP of course anyway so zeroes are discarded everywhere. I'll get Maryka to email you a file which demonstrates the problem. But it may not be a training load thing anyway but how the data is provided from ST3 (I've still not upgraded from 2 due to ST3 not being able to save my logbook...)
jibberjim
Donated!
Donated!

Postby smaryka » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Nope it's definitely not that. I'll email you the file I listed in my OP.

P.S. I've been around but training less seriously over the past couple of years due to a new addition to our family -- so less keen on the metrics of training too! But starting to make my comeback and get serious again. :wink:
smaryka
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load