by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Swimming enhancement trimp - automatically adding

Swimming enhancement trimp - automatically adding

Postby marky_gee » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 am

I asked in the pool swimming plugin forum if it is possible for that plugin to calculate trimps - and it is not.

I think a good enhancement to training load is for the automatic calculation of swimming trimps based on distance swam according to the pool swimming plugin

you would need to set somewhere in training load how many trimps per km or trimps per 100m or trimps per length you expend as a variable (which could also change over time)

i would suggest being able to set it based on swim stroke as well as "drills" being a swim stroke. all of which can vary over time

someone else estimated 5 trimps per 100m as a default....that would be good enough for me although i think personally mine would be a tad higher. But it wouldn't matter if you could enter your own value

you would need to be able to cater with someone faffing around in pool swimming and subsequently increasing or decreasing the number of lengths or even changing the pool-length distance.

this of course will be a flawed estimate for many reasons but with 3 big swim sessions a week you will easily notch up 150+ trimps and that must have a material effect on the overal training load. So i reckon its best to have something in TL rather than nothing (or at least forgetting to add a manual trimp each time)
marky_gee

Re: Swimming enhancement trimp - automatically adding

Postby mechgt » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am

I've not used the Pool Swimming plugin, what data is imported/created/etc.? Training Load should calculate a TRIMP based on Avg HR and time if you have those 2 fields available. An estimated avg HR entered would allow TL to automatically calculate a TRIMP. Is this any help?

I'd have to look farther into Pool Swimming and see what data is available to come up with a TRIMP compatible score.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby marky_gee » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am

the problem is that no ant+ HR monitor can do underwater. So you have to estimate.
This idea is one way of estimating to get around that.
marky_gee

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:00 pm

marky_gee wrote:the problem is that no ant+ HR monitor can do underwater. So you have to estimate.
This idea is one way of estimating to get around that.

Just like estimating your HR. Six of one thing....half a dozen of the other.

I estimate my HR for a trimp calculation. After a set, I will take a 6 second pulse count and multiply by 10. After awhile of doing this, I can pretty much tell how hard the workout was and enter an average HR afterwards.

BTW, polar does make a HR monitor that can send and recieve underwater but I don't think you can upload the data. Good luck trying to keep the monitor inplace while swimming though, I thought maybe I could use my Garmin and at least capture the HR data as I stood at the wall but failed miserably at getting the strap to stay inplace.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby marky_gee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:27 pm

hi

thank you for the reminders about the methods of estimating.

i think it would be good to automate it (swimming trimps) in some way; i think what i'm suggestng is relatively straightforard and would be of benefit to quite a few people...then again the number of responses to this thread has not been great :lol:

yes the polars do hr underwater as they use some different frequency to garmin. you can save the exercise results as HRM files and then import those into ST3.
marky_gee

Return to Training Load