by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

TRIMP=0?

TRIMP=0?

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

So far I used Training Load without ticking in "single zone" and/or "dynamic zone factors". I simply used my HR zones (L1, L2 etc) set to match more or less the power zones by Coggan. But the minimum limit of my lowest HR zone was not my resting HR (64), I just chose a HR (90) which seemed to be the minimum when cycling.

Today I added a new HR zone named to "L0:Resting" with limits of from 64 to 90. Then I got a TRIMP of zero when calculating the TRIMP of my new activity. I suddenly understood that although I know what TSS means I dont have a deep knowledge about TRIMP.

Why did adding zone L0 have this effect on TRIMP???
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Re: TRIMP=0?

Postby BigMike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:48 am

Here is what I think ...

In SportTracks, you can go under "Catgories' and set up activity categories and heart rate zones. It sounds like you've done that.

Under 'settings' for the TrainingLoad plugin, you can pick one of the HR zone profiles you set up under categories to use for calculating TRIMP. You should check the 'dynamic zones' box, and the plugin will automatically generate the 'TRIMP curve' using your min and max HR and the points you included on the HR zone profile you want to use. You do get 0 TRIMP, for heart rates from 0 up to your lowest hr point - this is not a problem because you don't train in that range anyhow.

You should set up Heart Rate Zones in accordance with the training load plug in instructions, and use that for caclulating TRIMP. TRIMP calculation doesn't consider any special physiological break-points defining different levels of intensity - the TRIMP factor curve recognizes that time spent at higher intensities has an exponentially higher training impact than work at lower intensities.
BigMike

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 am

I appreciate your explanation but it does not entirely address my finding. There is one thing clear that I have been not familiar with the proper setting of this plugin as regards TRIMP. So maybe just simply leaving my HR zones intact without giving any weights/factors to them resulted in a >0 TRIMP, because the lower limit of my lowest zone was >0.
Last edited by Tisztul_A_Visztula on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby mechgt » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Go to Training Load settings to inspect your settings for that category (look at the associated zone factors). Something must have changed with your factors when adding the new zone. There's a Reset Category button there that will automatically apply the calculated factors as determined by Training Load unless you have specific values to assign. Also, try clicking Recalculate > TRIMP from the menu on the Training Load view to force a recalculation of the activity.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:52 am

I think I figured out what must have happened. I must have simply jumped between two activities on the same day and since one of them was some sort of family hiking without HR data it confused me. I cannot reproduce the phenomenon, this is why I think I was just simply not concentrating.

Sorry everybody for raising some unfounded issue.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Return to Training Load