by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Swimming trimp

Swimming trimp

Postby doelauw » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 am

What would be the most accurate way to "calculate" trimp for a swimming activity without HR data (Garmin 910xt)?
doelauw

Re: Swimming trimp

Postby ksherman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 am

Measure your active HR (6 second pulse count) at end of active rep.
Measure your inactive HR, same just before commecing next rep.

Sum the time in your active laps in splits, add that much time at your active average to the HR data track. (Edit DataTracks)
Decide whether you want to record the rest HR. I only do this if short turnovers, i.e 10-20 secs between active.

Once you add the HT track the TRIMP will calc.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby marky_gee » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 am

you can enter the info in 2 ways i think

1. create a manual heart rate track in sports track
2. enter TRIMP=95 (or whatever correct value in the notes field) ... someone please correct me if this is wrong.
marky_gee

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:17 am

I do something similiar to ksherman in that I will take a six second pulse rate after a few intervals and just do an average, then enter that into the summary page's HR data field.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

Wow, these are all correct and different ways to get the values into Training Load. Just to clarify the last post, the idea is to enter your average HR and total time into the activity summary page. TL will see this and calculate a TRIMP value from it.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:29 pm

I have a 910XT (just done a review on my site), also the Polar RCX5 (review to come)...the latter of which cunningly does HR underwater.

Based on the HR it produces trainingload works out my TRIMPs per 100m as 5 (based on 36m pool). I'm not the world's best swimmer so yours could be a little higher if you can push yourself.

This is based on a presumed LTHR for the swim as about 10 beats lower than that for my bike and that is 10 beats or so lower than for the run.

So it calculates my HR correctly but how I then translate that into TRIMPs could be wrong. Seems about right tho I think.

So, to answer your question: "borrow someone else's Polar RCX5 !!" (or other water based HR device)

:lol:
the5krunner

Postby eima » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:35 am

Hi everybody :)

Some strange problem with swimming TRIMP data. Using FR910xt.

I have about a dozen of swimming workouts. All they are more or less the same (300-500 m; similar pace; recorded with FR910xt). HR values entered manually in summary page.
Only one workout has it's TRIMP numbers. All others are 0. And this lucky one is not longest or fastest swim. HR data is the same for all workouts.

In settings everything is done (at least I think so):
In settings > Categories > Heart rate zones for each sport (swimming, running and cycling) separate HR category is created;
In Training Load settings all these HR zones are displayed and also "Training Load" HR zone is created;

If all workouts would be with no TRIMP data..., but now - one is on. As I understand, should be something with settings?

One more possible reason of this - different layout of check boxes in the plug-in Heart Rate zones settings: instead of "Single Zone" and "Dynamic Zone Factors" (as in your topic), I can see "Automatic Mode" and "Single Zone".

How can I fix that?

Thank you in advance
eima

Postby mechgt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 am

Automatic mode has replaced Dynamic Zones (brand new as of 2.0.0 version, home page has not been updated to reflect the new changes yet). Automatic mode replaces the need for you to create a special Training Load HR zone. With Automatic mode, all you need to do is check the box and TRIMP should work.

Why are you missing TRIMP for 2 activities? Hmm... not sure, but here's something to try to fix it:
1) Go to Training Load and select your activities with 0 TRIMP in the lower activity list
2) Click Recalculate > TRIMP

This will force Training Load to analyze the selected activities and calculate the TRIMP values. If this still doesn't work, try posting one of the problem activities on the board and we'll look at it and see what the problem is.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load