Training Load

by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Do these TRIMP and TSS values look right plus more....

Do these TRIMP and TSS values look right plus more....

Postby rooney » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:25 am

Just started using this overthe last week, excellent piece of kit.

Today was my first ride and uploading power with heart rate connected.

My ride detail were 26 miles / time 1:45 / ave heart rate 134 / ave power 172. These figures provided me with a TRIMP score of 196 and TSS of 131.

I had preiovusly set 5 training zones but after reading the locked post at top changed today to give me 10 zones ragining from 0-100 for zone 1 goin up in 10's until zone 10 is 190 to ....

my resting heart rate is 40 and max 201

Do these figures look correct. Its the TRIMP score and how this is worked out that gets me.........as it was a very easy ride today but still a high score?

Cheers
Sam
rooney

Re: Do these TRIMP and TSS values look right plus more....

Postby the5krunner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 pm

I'm trying to figure out the TRIMP thing as well. One of the other posts suggests giving the higher HR zones a higher factor but not sure what science that is based on.

I'm no expert but...

I just did 3x20 mins on turbo @avHR and constantHR = 164 (my max for RUNNING is 194 not sure of max for cycling). So below my threshold and i could talk all the way though if i needed to, with a little difficulty maybe.

So for that I got a TRIMP of 233. I would have expected it to be quite a bit lower than that, say 150 (plucked out of thin air!). Then again I have been tinkering with the factors as they did not seem to properly reward high effort. The above session was not high effort by a way.

So your session does look high to me. Then again if you had some harder effort periods (170s on the hills) mixed in with a bit of slacking that COULD explain a high score but lower avHR. Sounds like that was not the case tho from what you say.

I did a 25 min run with my YOUNG daughter the other day. avHR=127...TRIMP score was 6 (six) after I fiddled with the factors and 2 (two) before the fiddle. That seems about right! The session was of virtually no exercise benefit to me. So based on your 134 av and 201 max I would say your TRIMP should be a LOT lower!!!
the5krunner

Postby Burnt Toast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 pm

5krunner

Typically you can expect a 10 beat per minute drop in MaxHR from running to cycling and another 10 beats from cycling to swimming. It has to do with the effects of gravity on the body and vascular system.

I've read before that a TRIMP of 100 should coincide with a 1 hr running race so maybe start tweaking with factors from there.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby marky_gee » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:48 pm

yeah the 100 seems more like it...not that i do one hour running races but never mind, i'll improvise. 100 still sounds less that what i'm getting.

i think i'm coming from the need to get a consistently balanced trimp across swim/run/cycle.

so if i get 150 for a run that should be 100 that's ok provided i get 300 for a cycle that should be 200! if you get my general drift. (that's prob wrong i'm sure!)

mark
marky_gee

Postby rooney » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 am

had a look at the factors and seemed they were a bit muddle reset and it has now got the ride i described as 138 TRIMP and 131 TSS.
That seems more like it :D

clikced the recaculate logbook button and has sorted all.

Im sure there will be more questions as I go along.

Cheers
Sam
rooney

Postby sdtbn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 am

I have started using the TL plugin and find it very interesting.
As other user i wonder if my values are correct.
When I look at other users charts it seems that my values are high.
Perhaps the values are not the most important. Maybe i should look at the graphs instead and see the improvement there.
Can i get some feedback, ideas or comment?

Info about me:
I'm a cyclist :)
I'm training 5-6 times/week, 6-8h per/week
Rest pulse is 43 bpm and max pulse is 178 bpm
I attach a picture with more info and graphs.

/Thomas
Attachments
TL.light.gif
TL.light.gif (131.12 KiB) Viewed 9495 times
sdtbn

Postby the5krunner » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:30 pm

sdtbn

interesting stats there.

you say you are doing 6-8 hours per week so, in theory, that should be somewhere not a million miles from 600-800 TRIMPs per week.

with my settings i get more than that as well but maybe 10-20% more. From a cursory look yours seems WAY over.

i train the same number of hours a week as you (I'm probably older! and certainly more of a runner tho focusing on improving cycling which i am ok at)

my HRmin is v similar to yours but HRmax quite a bit higher than you...is your HRmax right?? That could explain the high TRIMPs if it is set too low.

you must be doing long bike rides for those trimps....but then you say 6-8 hours/week.

If I do a flat out 6 mins test on the turbo my HR would be in the mid 170s maybe. my HRmax for cycling i reckon must be 10 beats higher than that...tho i've never got there. MY HRmax for a 5k is def 192/193 maybe a bit higher (was 200+ when Iwas younger). I appreciate there can be different HRmax for run/bike.

not sure if that helps or not! I just like talking about myself :-)

so the questions

1. pls confirm hrmax
2. pls confirm hours/week and TRIMPS/hour
the5krunner

Postby sdtbn » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for the respond the5krunner.

For info I’m 44 years old.

A year ago I was in a medical lab and made a test and there I got my HRmax and lots of other values. My cycling HRmax is little lower then my HRmax when running.
My HRmax is 178 bpm when cycling and 183 bpm when running.

I checked my 3 last week training and I got an average TRIMP value of 1064 per week.
1 h cycling (spinning) returns 160 TRIMP (average) with average pulse of approximately 150 bpm.

A normal week I do 4-5 indoor spinning workouts (it’s winter and now in Sweden) for approximately 1 h each and 1 distant workout per week for 3 h, running or/and cycling.

Please respond with comments.
sdtbn

Postby the5krunner » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:24 pm

ok i just looked at the stats and my trimps are higher than i remembered so maybe ours are both equally out !!

so to help comparison try this:

going back to the flat out 6 mins i got 35 TRIMPS. i was a bit fatigued before doing it and i prob went over my LTHR (although i have not had it measured in a lab) for 2 mins

recently did 2x30 mins spinning averaging 10 beats below my LTHR (@162pm avg) or thereabouts ie not hard but getting towards hard. and i got a TRIMP of 174 BUT THAT ALSO INCLUDED 20 mins of faffing around. so that is probably comparable to your figure.

also i only have one set of HR zones and really need to do a different one for the bike. Although that would make my TRIMPs higher. as said in other posts this does seem to matter if you do multi sports.

i think i was just freaked by your high trimp peaks....but if you do 3 hours in one session then fair enough !

CONCLUSION: TL is right and the chat elsewhere about 100 TRIMPS for an hour is wrong !
the5krunner

Postby the5krunner » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:26 pm

PS I think I'm just jealous as I can't get my CTL fitness thing over 100 (and am starting to worry about it as building up for a race)
the5krunner

Postby mechgt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 pm

100 TRIMP pts / hour is not a typical rule of thumb; I believe that was being confused with TSS. 100 TSS is a ballpark number for an intense hour long workout, but TRIMP and TSS are on a slightly different scale (with TRIMP typically being a higher number as you're seeing). So TRIMP and TSS points aren't interchangable with one another.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load