by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (48) • Reviews: 18

Version:

Updated:

Aug 26, 2015

Training Load & non-endurance sports like weightlifting

Training Load & non-endurance sports like weightlifting

Postby paul2011 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:51 am

I too do think the same way as I do not see any reason why sports like weightlifting have anything to do with these theories and plugin. In fact, only endurance sports such as running, cycling etc. should comply with the TRIMP concept proposed by Eric Bannister.
How can we measure the amount of calories burnt when we use swimming pools ?
paul2011

Re: Training Load Introduction

Postby Daniel Panev » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:15 pm

paul2011 wrote:I too do think the same way as I do not see any reason why sports like weightlifting have anything to do with these theories and plugin. In fact, only endurance sports such as running, cycling etc. should comply with the TRIMP concept proposed by Eric Bannister.

Well - it depends :)
IMHO the calculations are pretty accurate :) If you do a kind of a Olympic style weightlifting workout (where you would attempt 1 to 3 of your 1 Repetition Maximum weight) it's TRIMP score would be something like 0-1-2-3. However if you try a Girevoy Sport workout (where you try to do a Maximum number of repetitions of Jerk/Clean/Snatch/Etc with a given kettlebell for a period of time (10 minutes as a standard) and your HR will be constantly elevated up to the ceiling) it will give you a much higher TRIMP score... as expected :D
The same goes for Martial Arts workouts as well. I've tried some boxing sessions with a HR strap and my HR goes as up as in an intense interval run workout but a bout of 12 rounds is... quite longer, I suppose ;)
Daniel Panev

Re: Training Load & non-endurance sports like weightlifting

Postby mechgt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 am

RE weightlifting:
The theories and concepts here have been tested and used for quite a while (around 40 years) with respect to endurance sports. There exists documentation and case studies galore on this.

In contrast, I don't have any information showing any studies regarding anaerobic activities such as weightlifting. To that end, I've not searched extensively for them either, so I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just not aware of them. My suspicion is that models have been developed and tested to track and evaluate weightlifters, but I would suspect that they're slightly different.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load