Frequenly Asked Questions

Moderator: FAQ Moderators

Equipment: Using, Adding, Tips & Tricks

Postby clackerz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:19 pm

Question:

What is the Equipment Section used for?

Answer:

Tracking and Monitoring pieces of Equipment used in your Activities:

The Equipment section is used traditionally to monitor or track the usage of a piece or pieces of equipment that you use with your activities.

Depending on what you want to monitor you can be as simple or detailed as you wish by adding as many pieces of equipment you desire.

You can link pieces together that make up a parent piece of equipment as well.

Below is a FAQ on the Equipment section.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Question:

Where do I find the Equipment Section?

Answer:

In the Select View Menu:

The Equipment Section is found under the Select View Menu in the Other Tasks Pane:

Last edited by clackerz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Question:

How do I Add or Remove a piece of Equipment?

Answer:

Add Equipment by using the Add Item Option:

By clicking on "Add Item" you will get an empty/new form to add in your Equipment Details

Answer:

Remove Equipment by using the Remove Item Option:

By clicking on "Remove Item" you will remove the selected piece of Equipment from your Equipment list

Last edited by clackerz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Question:

How do I Add details or information about my Equipment to be tracked?

Answer:

Identify the details you want to add or include:

You can add details, data, information about your piece of Equipment.

In the Details Section there are fields that you can add this information.

As you add activities and include these pieces of equipment, usage data will be collected so you can track it's total use.

Details
You can add information in these fields.
They are not all mandatory, but the more information you add the more details can be tracked.

As you add more equipment, the Brand, Type and Purchase locations have drop-downs to select like information that you have used on other pieces.

The Expected Life field will be used to determine the Life Remaining of your piece of Equipment based on it's usage as you include it in your Activities.

Currently In Use Option
If your piece of Equipment is not being used anymore you can untick the "Currently In Use" option.
All details etc will be preserved, but will no longer be tracked.

Show Option
This toggles on/off if you want to see your equipment in the Activity Summary Section.
The Equipment will still be tracked, but will not be shown in the Activity Summary.

Notes
There is also a Notes area to add further details that you want to include.

Photos or Pictures
A photo or picture can also be added of your piece of Equipment.

NOTE: These pic's are not stored in your Logbook.

Equipment Window
This information can be seen in the window above the Details section.

Based on the Expected Life (which can be toggled between kms/miles or months) this window can predict the Life Remaining.

You can add/remove details being shown in this window.

To do this right click in the window and choose List Settings:

You can now add/remove details that you want to see in the Details window.
Last edited by clackerz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 am

Question:

How do I set my default Import Settings for my Equipment?

Answer:

Select the default Activity Categories:

You can select the default Activity Categories your Equipment will be used for upon import.

This set-up is found by using the drop down in the Details Header and selecting Import Settings:

Here you can select any of the categories that have been set-up in the Category section.

Note: You will need to select the category for all pieces of Equipment individually - even if any of the pieces are a "Part Of" a parent Equipment item.

Alternatively the After Import Plugin (Developed by old_man_biking) will also provide an option to "Import equipment items WITH ALL THEIR SUBPARTS during import"

You can find this option in the settings page of this plugin:

You can find this Plugin available to download from the Plugin Catalog or by visiting old_man_biking's website here and reading further about this (and his other) plugins.
Last edited by clackerz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Question:

How do I add a picture or photo to my Equipment?

Answer:

By using one of the following methods:
  1. Drag and Drop
  2. Select
  3. Paste

Please Note: The pictures or photos used for Equipment are NOT stored as part of the Logbook. Please ensure that you keep these in a known folder.

Drag and Drop:
Identify the pictures or photos to be used. Simply using the mouse click (left click) on the file and drag it into the Photo pane and then drop it in by releasing the mouse button.

Use the Select Function:
Identify the pictures or photos to be used. Click on the select folder (or you can right click in the Photo pane and choose 'Select Image')and navigate to the folder where your pictures or photos are stored.
Click OK.

Use the Paste Function:
Identify the pictures or photos to be used. Using File or Windows Explorer navigate to the folder where the pictures or photos are stored. Right click the file and select copy. Return to the Photo pane and choose Paste (or you can choose to right click and select 'Paste Image'.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Question:

How do I see the History of my Equipment usage?

Answer:

By toggling the Photo/History view :

You can easily see the history of a piece, or sub-piece of any of your listed Equipment.
As you include your Equipment in your activities the historical usage will be kept and can be viewed from the Equipment Section.

How to change the view to see the Historical Data:

Using the drop-down slection in the 'Photo' Header change the view from Photo to History.

You will now see a full list of all the associated activities the selected piece of Equipment was used for. There is also a graph that gives a visual to the overall usage.

If you select an activity this will be displayed on the graph. This will show you the date and the usage up to that point (either in distance or time - depending on your graph selection.)

Changing the selected piece of Equipment:

You can change the selected piece of Equipment by clicking on another piece in the Equipment Section list.

The default view for the graph is distance, however this can be toggled to Time.

Changing the view of the graph:

Using the drop-down slection in the Header and change the view from Photo to History.
Last edited by clackerz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Question:

How do I change the Photo/Picture size shown in my Equipment List?

Answer:

By selecting the size you want displayed in the settings:

You can change the size of your picture or photo shown in your Equipment List.

Change this by right-clicking in the Equipment List window and choose Photo Size.

You can now select the size of your picture. Or if you wish it can be set to None, and no picture will be displayed here.
Last edited by clackerz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:30 pm

Question:

Can I Group my Equipment together?

Answer:

Yes. You can choose different default Groupings

You can change the view of your Equipment list to be grouped by different selections.

NOTE: these selections will not split up sub-pieces of Equipment that are a 'part of' another piece.

To change the selection right-click in the Equipment List pane and choose 'Group By'.

You have 5 different default views to choose from:

None:
If you select this it will un-group the equipment. Again it will not split up sub-pieces of Equipment that are a 'part of' another piece.

However this view can be tricky! If you have selected a primary piece and take this selection it does not show the sub-pieces - however they are still there.
If you select a sub-piece then choose None then you will see the sub-pieces under the priamry piece.
To un-do this and select a sub-piece, then choose another selection, then expand the primary piece and then select non.

In Use:
This will group the Equipment by pieces that are 'In-Use'.
Again it will not split up sub-pieces of Equipment that are a 'part of' another piece.
You can expand the primary piece by clicking the + sign and the sub-pieces will be displayed.

Type:
This will group the Equipment by pieces that are the same Type. This refers to the Types of Equipment that have been used/created when initially setting up your Equipment.
Again it will not split up sub-pieces of Equipment that are a 'part of' another piece.
You can expand the primary piece by clicking the + sign and the sub-pieces will be displayed.

Brand:
This will group the Equipment by pieces that are the same Brand. This refers to the Brands of Equipment that have been used/created when initially setting up your Equipment.

Usage:
This will group the Equipment by pieces that have the same usage frequency. This refers to the usage associated with the Equipment upon import or allocation to an activity.
Last edited by clackerz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:40 am

Using the Equipment Section for things other than Equipment:

Question:

Is there a way in the Daily Activities screen to have year to date totals at the bottom along with "this week/last week/this month?

Answer:

Yes. You can define anything as 'Equipment' and track it in Daily Activities

Here is a Tip by HENNES that uses Equipment to track Year to Date Totals

Use the following process and steps to create a workaround to get a Year to Date Total that can be seen in your Daily Activity section:

As an example here is HENNES Daily Activity displaying how it can be used:

I have the "year 2008" and "my FR 305" defined as standard equipment which gets assigned automaticly to each entry. So I can see those numbers besides the shoe of the activity:

Using "applied routes" plugin you can adjust old entries very easy and start from 01/01/08 if you want within minutes.

Here is the process submitted by HENNES on how to set 'Equipment' to track Year to Date Totals

Go to Equipment
add a new equipment: add item (I have the german version, so you will see different wording)

bottom left:

This should be self-explanatory:

Hit that magic triangle in the top right of that window and change to "import settings"

Mark those activities which you want to be counted in future. As I only do running, I use "my activities". From now on, this will automaticly attach this "equipment" to every new entry in that category you choosen. Basicly starting to clock from zero...

...not to forget to explain the Forerunner logo you seen in my image, which may be confusing. Its just an icon, aswell as the "08" stands for 2008 and the "runner" stands for total running.

You can attach it in that dialogue - but you dont have to and might save space.

Finally, go to the screen on the right and switch to history - you can see the development of distance over time. You will see zero - as you just started at zero.

Ok, as you probably want to know "whats the distance sofar in 2008" (or whatever in the past", we need to get the previous distance into "the machine".

2 ways:

1. go to activity report. Adjust the filter to show you only the number for 2008 which you want, go back to the equipment page you just been and add that number and your done. From now on each entry will have the new distance + that previous one to the "annual 2008" number or whatever brilliant idea you will come up with and will let us know.

My field is blank, as I use method #2

2. alternative: use the applied routes plugin. Same procedure with the activity report to find the matching entries. Highlight all entries you want.

Go to the main page edit activity look for AR - update history. If you dont find it, you need to activate that first in the plugin-settings. If you see it, hit it and then there is a pop up window - remember that dialgue is now active for all highlighted activities in the activity report - update equipment now "attaches" that new equipment you just designed to those entries in the past as you had that brilliant idea before year start already. Note: depending on the number of activities your screen might freeze for couple of minutes but will be back!

Thats it.

Could look like that

shoe --- annual distance 2008 --- total for the FR 305 --- total since started running 3 years ago

Thanks to HENNES for this How To

You can also find this How To originally posted in the General Forums here.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Return to FAQ