by old_man_biking

Downloads: 2,939 (12) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 14, 2016

Purchase Questions

Purchase Questions

Postby joesdiner » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I had a couple questions about purchasing OMB's plugins and couldn't find the answer on his website. I'm assuming that these answers will be the same for all his plugins (let me know if that's no the case), and just picked the Training Analysis subforum.

1) Are purchasers of plugins entitled to updates of those plugins? I understand that major revamps might not be covered, but are routine updates?

2) Does activation of a purchased plugin require internet access for the computer that has ST installed? It seems that at least activating a trial period does.
joesdiner

Re: Purchase Questions

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:31 am

joesdiner wrote:I had a couple questions about purchasing OMB's plugins and couldn't find the answer on his website. I'm assuming that these answers will be the same for all his plugins (let me know if that's no the case), and just picked the Training Analysis subforum.

1) Are purchasers of plugins entitled to updates of those plugins? I understand that major revamps might not be covered, but are routine updates?

2) Does activation of a purchased plugin require internet access for the computer that has ST installed? It seems that at least activating a trial period does.

Re 1): yes, of course
Re 2): yes, but just for the moment of activation; later use doesn't require internet access
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby joesdiner » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:33 pm

old_man_biking wrote:
joesdiner wrote:2) Does activation of a purchased plugin require internet access for the computer that has ST installed? It seems that at least activating a trial period does.

Re 2): yes, but just for the moment of activation; later use doesn't require internet access

My only concern with the second one...Let's say I've been using ST and your plugins for a while and am really happy with them and have a lot of data stored in ST now. But then my computer crashes, and I must reinstall everything. Only by this time OMB has been hit by a bus/found other interests/etc and your validation server is no longer online. Now can I not only no longer use your plugin, but my previous data in an OMB plugin is inaccessible. Now I'm not trying to insinuate that you plan on leaving your customers high and dry, but sometimes things happen that we don't expect. I know you need to protect yourself from people pirating your plugins (even when they are already priced cheaply) and I'm not trying to rip you off, but I am trying to protect myself from having a bunch of inaccessible training data.
joesdiner

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:45 am

Yes, that (the bus hitting me) is the risk that is inherehent in any of these activation schemes. "Finding other interests" and "etc" is not a risk as this will not put you at risk.
1. I don't intend this at all and 2. if this should ever happen, this would be a controlled move where I'd release final versions without these dependencies or even open source my plugins. Much like other plugin authors did that left the stage.

And I've seen enough big companies discontinue products and leave their customers standing in the rain without respecting their expectations, so that I don't trust "big companies" any better than I trust smaller software providers.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby stefun » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello OMB,
I use this thread to contact you, as you recommanded.
I have ST 3 on a PC and former laptop, which crashed in december. I reloaded ST3 and plugins on the laptop of my son (Training load, training analysis, weather, GPS2powertrack, afterimport).
So now, I've new laptop and would use ST3 AND plugins on my new tool. However I can't activate the OMB plugins.
Could you do something for me or do I purchase a new license?
Could I mail you my payment ID?
Thank you
stefun

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:54 am

Please send me a PM in this forum with your order id ("OMB ...") and I take care.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Analysis