by old_man_biking

Downloads: 2,939 (12) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 14, 2016

New plugin "Training Analysis"

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 am

This forum has been renamed from "Power Analysis" to "Training Analysis".
Last edited by old_man_biking on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:20 am

I've just replaced my "old" Power Analysis plugin by a new plugin with a much richer feature set:
Training Analysis.

This new plugin provides several valuable tools for an elaborate analysis of your performance level and training success:
correlation charts (scatter charts), critical power analysis, histograms, lactate, IF, TSS, TRIMP, RPE.

Please have a look at the plugin feature page for details.

Just a few screen shots:

Enjoy,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby 7270martin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Great job!!!

Thank you for the excellent work and also for the good documentation on your website.

Thanks again for bringing ST on a higher level again! Not even WKO+ has a color-coded (time-based)scatter chart of a single activity nor one screen with both the scatter chart and the line-chart. This is just very cool and definitively worth giving a donation for people who haven't donated yet.

Maybe you could write something about this pin-icon in your manual?

And maybe gears by the gear indicator plugin could be added somewhen?

Thanks again for your huge efforts!
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:51 pm

A couple of first knee-jerk observations...
When opening, I get message saying MapOverlay is old... I assume this will be resolved shortly with an update.

When selecting 'Torque' from pulldown menu on activity with no powertrack I get:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at OldManBiking.TrainingAnalysisPlugin.UI.ActivityDetailPages.HistogramControl.CalculateHistogram()
at OldManBiking.TrainingAnalysisPlugin.UI.ActivityDetailPages.HistogramControl.Recalculate()
at OldManBiking.TrainingAnalysisPlugin.UI.ActivityDetailPages.HistogramControl.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintTransparentBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle, Region transparentRegion)

When I initially click on the 'Lactate' tab it's labeled 'Header...' instead of something appropriate. I suppose the 'Lactate' entries are all manual? I don't know any other way to derive them... just asking :)
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:19 pm

mechgt wrote:A couple of first knee-jerk observations...
When opening, I get message saying MapOverlay is old... I assume this will be resolved shortly with an update.

When selecting 'Torque' from pulldown menu on activity with no powertrack I get:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at OldManBiking.TrainingAnalysisPlugin.UI.ActivityDetailPages.HistogramControl.CalculateHistogram()
at OldManBiking.TrainingAnalysisPlugin.UI.ActivityDetailPages.HistogramControl.Recalculate()
at OldManBiking.TrainingAnalysisPlugin.UI.ActivityDetailPages.HistogramControl.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintTransparentBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle, Region transparentRegion)

When I initially click on the 'Lactate' tab it's labeled 'Header...' instead of something appropriate. I suppose the 'Lactate' entries are all manual? I don't know any other way to derive them... just asking :)

Hi mechgt,

thanks for your hints.

Yes, a new MapOverlay version will be released soon.
The torque thing is a plain bug; thanks for pointing me to it.
I cannot reproduce the "Header" bug on the lactate tab. Can you please send me a step by step instruction how exactly this can be achieved.

And yes, there's no other way to obtain lactate valuese than piercing little holes into your skin (finger tip or earlap) and analyzing the blood.

Thanks,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:41 pm

What happened to the integration of Power Analysis with Dot Racing (just curious)?

Often CP20 is used, especially with 20 minute fitness tests, etc. Could you add the CP20 point to the Critical Power chart?

Bravo 8)
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:52 am

There is a significant discrepancy in TSS. Below are four of my activities. IF is fine but TSS is underestimated. This data all came from the iBike CSV files not GPS files so there are no pause times, just the recorded data. Sorry about the formatting; it's as good as I could get it.

TSS Training Planner Training Load WKO Training Analysis
13-Mar 271 270 270 206
14-Mar 149 148 148 112
16-Mar 061 061 061 054
16-Mar 043 043 043 039

IF Training Planner Training Load WKO Training Analysis
13-Mar 0.91 0.91 0.91 0.84
14-Mar 0.74 0.74 0.74 0.73
16-Mar 0.70 0.70 0.70 0.70
16-Mar 0.59 0.59 0.59 0.59

This plugin has a lot of "stuff". Great start!
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jibberjim » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:02 am

racerfern wrote:There is a significant discrepancy in TSS. Below are four of my activities. IF is fine but TSS is underestimated.

TSS Training Planner Training Load WKO Training Analysis
13-Mar 271 270 270 206

What are your ST settings for stopped times? Remember WKO+ and indeed the TSS algorithm inflate TSS for stopped time - time you're recording data but aren't doing anything.

As you can see here WKO reports a 14% change in TSS if you remove stopped periods (It's why in training load I adovate an HR zone which has zero impact on TRIMP)

Entire workout (157 watts):
Duration: 6:29:37 (6:29:37)
Work: 3650 kJ
TSS: 367.6 (intensity factor 0.752)
Norm Power: 233

Entire workout (194 watts):
Duration: 5:10:59 (6:29:37)
Work: 3650 kJ
TSS: 324.5 (intensity factor 0.791)
Norm Power: 245

So it could be related to stopped time handling impacting the duration of the activity.
jibberjim
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 am

texmurphy wrote:What happened to the integration of Power Analysis with Dot Racing (just curious)?

Often CP20 is used, especially with 20 minute fitness tests, etc. Could you add the CP20 point to the Critical Power chart?

Bravo 8)

Oops, I forgot to mention.

It's still there.
Please see http://www.sporttracks-plugins.com/Spor ... ntegration

Maybe it requires a more current version of MapOverlay then the latest released one - but I'll have to release a new MO version in short time, anyway.

I've added CP20. I hope that noone asks for CP15, CP40, ... :)

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:56 am

jibberjim wrote:What are your ST settings for stopped times? Remember WKO+ and indeed the TSS algorithm inflate TSS for stopped time - time you're recording data but aren't doing anything....
So it could be related to stopped time handling impacting the duration of the activity.

There is no stopped time. These activities were imported from the iBike csv file not Garmin files so recording stops when you stop. Besides, the other plugins handled the calculations correctly.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 am

Maybe it didn't make it into the latest release but the TSS scores are still low.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:21 am

Hi racerfern,

I had a look at my code and found only one minor discrepancy to the formula published in e.g. http://www.midweekclub.ca/articles/coggan.pdf, p. 10.
This can hardly be the reason.

Did you check the threshold power for this activity?
Threshold power is a reverse proportional factor in step 8 of the TSS calculation.
I assume that you didn't configure this properly. The plugin uses a default of 250W which is fairly high for seasoned bikers 8)

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:29 am

I did check the threshold power. I have it set at 225w. In order to show the correct TSS of 99 for yesterday's exercise I have to lower my threshold number to 190.

Also note that the TRIMP shows as 1.6 for this same activity and TrainingLoad shows 100 TRIMP which would be correct.

I am emailing you the activity. I can't be the only one that's comparing numbers and seeing a discrepancy.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:16 am

You have an email.
Btw, there are several "TRIMP" calculations "on the market".
If you have one that you would call standard, could you send me the formula.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:33 am

The new supported Training Analysis plugin, does not remove the old discontinued and unsupported Power Analysis plugin.

* What problems might occur if Power Analysis is not removed?
* Should manual removal of Power Analysis be recommended by the install program?
* What is status of MapOverlay plugin version being requested by the Training Analysis plugin?
* I am continuing to get MapOverlay Plugin warnings of "Inconsistent data" claiming a pause exists several hours after an activity ends which cause all pauses to be ignored. Now Training Analysis Plugin is also reporting this warning and ignoring pauses. This may have to do with using the MicsPlugin to insert pauses and adjust device time for the Edge 500 (also done by Edge 705 users). However, fitlog examination shows no pauses outside of the activity time.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:37 am

I too get the 'Pause warning' on several activities from MapOverlay, but there's no way for me to fix it (via normal user means.) I wish I wasn't bothered with a popup for something I have no control over.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 am

I'm getting two warnings now. One is the pause warning that has been ongoing because I'm importing iBike csv files that have no pauses.

The second one is a warning that my Map Overlay Plugin is out of date and will not work with the Power Analysis plugin. However, the Map Overlay is current. It's just a warning and everything seems to function correctly with the exception of TSS and TRIMP calculations.

@OMB

Even if there are different TRIMP calculations (which surprises me) there is no way TRIMP would drop from 100 to 1.6. Note also a few "regular" rides I've done have extremely low TRIMP.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:39 pm

texmurphy wrote:The new supported Training Analysis plugin, does not remove the old discontinued and unsupported Power Analysis plugin.

* What problems might occur if Power Analysis is not removed?
* Should manual removal of Power Analysis be recommended by the install program?
* What is status of MapOverlay plugin version being requested by the Training Analysis plugin?
* I am continuing to get MapOverlay Plugin warnings of "Inconsistent data" claiming a pause exists several hours after an activity ends which cause all pauses to be ignored. Now Training Analysis Plugin is also reporting this warning and ignoring pauses. This may have to do with using the MicsPlugin to insert pauses and adjust device time for the Edge 500 (also done by Edge 705 users). However, fitlog examination shows no pauses outside of the activity time.

Hi texmurphy,

no problems at all. The two coexist peacefully, technically speaking. It might just be confusing for users. That's why I did not automatically delete it. Changing the installer so that it asks the user would be too much work to solve a non-problem.

MapOverlay plugin: well, it's ready but not yet fully tested. The days are just too short now.

Re pause warnings: hhm, I only experienced this one or two times. I was not aware that these inconsistencies have become a mass disease. Yes, you're right that it's nonsense to issue a warning but don't fix the problem. So I'll try and find a reasonable solution.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Power@160 bpm

Postby rikicarra » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Great plugin! Really appreciated the efforts you put in developing such a great tool. Being a beta, I am sure you will accept comments.
I guess the calculations for power at certain levels of bpm (Performance Indices tab) are not correct, by far too low. I compared the calculation done with Power Analisys (ball park reasonable) for example at 160 bpm is 395 W, with Trainig Analsys is 118 W. The overall table "Power@XXX bpm", where XXX=120-170, is highly understimated.

Thank you.
rikicarra

Postby trell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:47 am

I tried your plugin but:
it ask to be online... i was online
it ask 20€ ... during test
i can't use it error
trell

Re: Power@160 bpm

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 am

rikicarra wrote:Great plugin! Really appreciated the efforts you put in developing such a great tool. Being a beta, I am sure you will accept comments.
I guess the calculations for power at certain levels of bpm (Performance Indices tab) are not correct, by far too low. I compared the calculation done with Power Analisys (ball park reasonable) for example at 160 bpm is 395 W, with Trainig Analsys is 118 W. The overall table "Power@XXX bpm", where XXX=120-170, is highly understimated.

Thank you.

You have a PM
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:55 am

I don't know why, but obviously the plugin has failed to access my trial licence server.

Are there any other internet access issues: please check and click on the "Reload" button (with the two rounded arrows) above the SportTracks map. Do the map tiles reload properly ?

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby trell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:28 pm

old_man_biking wrote:I don't know why, but obviously the plugin has failed to access my trial licence server.

Are there any other internet access issues: please check and click on the "Reload" button (with the two rounded arrows) above the SportTracks map. Do the map tiles reload properly ?

Cheers,
OMB

yes it works
i tried other country too

or web
trell

Postby texmurphy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Under Performance Indices Tab:
* Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) - Currently "Intensity" is entered into the ST Workout screen. This could be automatically converted to RPE. The Fairly Light (12) to Fairly Hard (13) seems a big jump in English. Also ST assumes a skew towards greater effort (ST "None" being below RPE "Fairly Light (7)").

Under Histogram Tab:
* The Speed Zone Name is wrong (are these hard coded from your zones?). In example I have no zone 12.3-15 mph.
* Power shows Speed Zones, not Power Zones
* Histogram for Grade is Elevation Zones, yet also titled for Speed.

texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Great work: This really elevates analysis to the next level.

If you are using a power meter (and even if you are not) I strongly reccomend you have a look.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Next

Return to Training Analysis