by old_man_biking

Downloads: 2,939 (12) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 14, 2016

Power zones changing

Power zones changing

Postby Burnt Toast » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:09 pm

I noticed today that the power zones for cycling that I had set up keep changing. Every time I go into my categories and change the percentage of FTP in the Training Analysis plugin settings, save logbook and reopen ST, the power zones change.

I set the zones again and then unchecked the Training Analysis plugin, saved, closed, relaunched ST and the power zones changed again.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Power zones changing

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:17 pm

You describe what the plugin can do when you've configured dynamic zones via Select View:Categorie:Training Analysis Plugin: ... .
I don't understand if there's a problem and if yes, which.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the refresher on your plugin and I see now that I had the dynamic zones checked but where are you coming up with the % of FTP for the zones? I would like the zones to change when my FTP changes (293 right now) so I had the Dynamic checked but the active recovery wattage of 220 seems high and thats where your zone percentage currently puts the top of L1.

I was using what I believe is Coggan's power levels:
L1 = <55% = Active Recovery
L2 = 55-75% = Endurance
L3 = 75-90% = Tempo
L4 = 90-105% = LT
L5 = 105-120% = VO2Max
L6 = >120% = Anaerobic

It looks like your dynamic levels are:
L1 = <75%
L2 = 75-124%
L3 = 124-144%
L4 = 144-165%
L5 = 165-206%
L6 = 206-275%
L7 = >275%
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am

I'm not sure what's going on or why the power zones are changing like they are but here is a screen shot of them today. I have dynamic checked and haven't changed my FTP. I have no idea why the percentage of FTP changed as I have not touched them.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby technika » Mon May 06, 2013 2:04 pm

I am having a similar problem, and maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of "dynamic" - the change to the range is a wee bit OTT compared to FTP. It is a little annoying, as I have to keep going back and resetting the zones. Am I doing something silly, or misunderstanding the purpose of using the "dynamic" options?

power.PNG
Screen Shot
power.PNG (11.25 KiB) Viewed 15419 times

TIA for any advice.
technika

Postby old_man_biking » Mon May 06, 2013 2:30 pm

You haven't told us what you want to do, what you expect, what you are understanding, ...
so it's a bit hard to tell you what you should do and if you're misunderstanding anything.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 am

I think I know what he's trying to say here as I have had a similar experience.

I don't have a power meter so I'm using GPS2PowerTrack plugin to generate power info. I also have been using some software called Peripedal to caclulate virtual power while working out on my Fluid2 trainer. I have an FTP (from the Peripedal software and trainer) of 295 watts. I have my power zones set according to Coggan's power levels.

L1 = <55% = Active Recovery
L2 = 55-75% = Endurance
L3 = 75-90% = Tempo
L4 = 90-105% = LT
L5 = 105-120% = VO2Max
L6 = >120% = Anaerobic

If I had the "dynamic" checked to update power zones from a new FTP, the changes that were made were extremely high. The change would happen even if I didn't actually change my FTP. It seemed that just uploading a workout with power would change the zones. It looks like your dynamic zones % of FTP are:

L1 = <75%
L2 = 75-124%
L3 = 124-144%
L4 = 144-165%
L5 = 165-206%
L6 = 206-275%
L7 = >275%

This is very close to what the above poster is experiencing also. I'm no expert on using power for cycling training put I don't think a person with an FTP of 230 watts can expect to do an endurance workout at 283 watts.

I expect the "dynamic" changes would keep my current zone percentages and recalculate the wattage accordingly when a new FTP is entered or reached, but its completely changing the zone % of FTP at an extreme level.

OMB, I hope that makes sense.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby technika » Sun May 12, 2013 7:41 am

Hi OMB,

Burnt Toast has explained it better than I :)

Here is what I use GPS2Power for:

1. Record an FTP for a baseline, in my case I took the average power recorded from a 10mile TT session I rode.

2. Using the FTP, set up power zones accordingly. BurntToast uses Coggan's formula, I am using one from British Cycling - no idea if they are the same or different....

3. Using the color coding of the zones, I can visually see where I have been in terms of my baseline on a particular ride.

With the dynamic settings, I sort of *assumed* (I know I should read the manual first...), that the zones would change in line with the FTP setting.

Now I thought I had to change the FTP setting, for this to take effect? So without even touching FTP, the zones are changing. Just to illustrate, I have not changed the zones or any other settings since my earlier post and now look at the Zones that have been set? I suspect that after each ride, the highest power setting is being used to adjust the zones (this week I had a max power of 900.9 watts, and now my Anaerobic Zone is set to > 1861watts if only I could ever reach those limits :shock: )

power.PNG
power.PNG (14.15 KiB) Viewed 15383 times

Hope this makes it a little clearer? Suspect the best way to change the FTP dynamically, would be to use the NP value for the CP60, and adjust the FTP only when that NP value had changed previously. Now that would be quite neat - but I guess should also be liked to RPE of 18+ being set I guess.

No problems with the plug-in (apart from this little niggle), been used them for a while, and could not do without them :)

technika

Postby technika » Sun May 12, 2013 8:03 am

I have now reset the power zones, and will try to watch for when they change. The baseline from British Cycling does appear to follow Coggan :)

baseline.PNG
baseline.PNG (13.21 KiB) Viewed 15382 times

Not sure if my FTP is on the low side to be honest, but that does not matter it is a baseline to compare with .... assuming it is a wee bit low when GPS2Power is calculating I have spent a fair amount of time in VO2 max and above for today's run - even though there really was only 6 minutes of really gasping for breath (climbing the 10-15% climb :lol: ) ..... I might have to go out and do another LT test :)

power_reimport.PNG
power_reimport.PNG (17.94 KiB) Viewed 15382 times
technika

Postby technika » Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm

OK, imported my ride tonight. Did not spot anything straight away - again I use the color code to check the zones ....

Went into Categories, and it has started to creep, again no changes to settings since last update - all I have done is import a new ride.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.14 KiB) Viewed 15359 times

This I can understand, if there is some dynamic relationship to the average power recorded in the imported ride.

Any ideas as to what causes the change?
technika

Postby tri-dreams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:28 am

I am having a similar issue. My understanding of dynamic power zones would be that the absolute values change when a new FTP is inputted but the % of FTP would remain the same.

I checked my power zones this morning and my zone 1 is now <7% and zone 7 is >19%. I have checked the manual and there is no mention of how the dynamic power zones work, could someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong as I am tired of having to reset my power zones after each ride.

Thanks
tri-dreams

Postby cp1983 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:12 am

Hi,

I have the same issue. The percentages change (creeps upwards as I upload new activities with power). I would like the percentages to stay fixed, but when I change the threshold power the numeric power values should change automatically).

After a few months with updating, I end up with endurance zone starts at 105% FTP (instead of 55% as was entered)

Is it possible to have this fixed?

Regards
Christian
cp1983
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:04 am

For now switch this feature off, please.
Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Analysis