Downloads: 2,939 (12) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 14, 2016

Help understanding IF, TSS, TRIMP

Help understanding IF, TSS, TRIMP

Postby donws » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi,

I did two identical outdoor cycling workouts and I'm trying to make sense of the IF, TSS, and TRIMP numbers. Workout1 was done on a nice 80F day so my avg power output was up and avg HR down. Workout2 was done at a hellish 103F so my avg power was down and my avg HR up. I would have expected the scores to reflect workout2 being much harder (as it certainly felt so) but only TRIMP suggests this. IF and TSS for workout2 actually fell.

Workout 1: Avg HR=135, Avg Power=166W, IF=0.74, TSS=80.3, TRIMP=129.1
Workout 2: Avg HR=151, Avg Power=148W, IF=0.66, TSS=66.6, TRIMP=195.2

Do IF and TSS take into account only power and not HR?

Thanks,
Don
donws

Re: Help understanding IF, TSS, TRIMP

Postby donws » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 am

I read through some other posts in the TL plug-in forum so I think I've answered my own question. IF and TSS do seem to consider power, not heart rate like TRIMP. Comapring my "perceived exertion" levels for the two loops, with workout2 "feeling" much harder, I'm inclined to place more weight on TRIMP scores as measure of effort expended.

Cheers,
Don
donws

Postby the5krunner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:32 am

you obviously tried harder on the second workout as your hr/trimp is higher.

however all that extra effort did not produce the extra power you might have hoped.

So you tried MUCH too hard on the first on or maybe you could work more on maintaining your power (at a lower level that the first effort) for longer.

when you say the workouts were identical were they really? wind? recovery/fatigue lots of other factors could come in. I was assuming your performed one after the other...in which case fatigue would come in
the5krunner

Postby donws » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:19 pm

the5krunner wrote:when you say the workouts were identical were they really? wind? recovery/fatigue lots of other factors could come in. I was assuming your performed one after the other...in which case fatigue would come in

Thanks! The same course was ridden on two different weekends (drastically different ambient temperatures). Avg pace was 0.5 mi/hr slower on the hotter day (i.e., the day with higher TRIMP but lower IF and TSS scores).

Don
donws

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:16 am

Take look on performance prediction plugin, it shows as a good estimate how temperature and weight impact your workouts.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Analysis